SmartGPS

Guest Maxrom

Guest Maxrom
A program(mer) on the roll ;-)  Compliments Maxrom for the support you're giving. Became curious about your app so will install and try it today on my MPx220 and Adapt Nemerix GPS.

Cheers and keep up the good work

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, thanks for your comments! :)

I hope you enjoy using SmartGPS!

Guest Maxrom

Just a quick note to say that I'm aware of a problem with the altitude readings on v0.6 of SmartGPS. Most units will report an altitude, but this will remain fixed. Altitude was working on previous versions, but I managed to break it in v0.6 :oops:

I hope to have an update out shortly that will resolve this problem...

Sorry!

Guest Radeon12345

Don't know if I have done someting wrong or not :)

Was exited to run Smart GPS on my SPV C550, I followed all instruction perfectly, but when I ran the program it comes up with "An unexpected error has occured in the SmartGPS.exe" :cry:

If I click on details, it says SmartGPS Missing Method Exception"

Does this program support the SPV C550 ;)

Guest Maxrom
Don't know if I have done someting wrong or not  :)

Was exited to run Smart GPS on my SPV C550, I followed all instruction perfectly, but when I ran the program it comes up with "An unexpected error has occured in the SmartGPS.exe"  :cry:

If I click on details, it says SmartGPS Missing Method Exception"

Does this program support the SPV C550  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Firstly, congrats on probably being the first person to try this on a C550! :D

Unfortunately, I dont yet have a C550 to develop with (donations welcome though! :( ) so I've not been able to test it. However, I was kind of hoping there wouldnt be any problems with the C550.

The actual application doesnt really have anything nasty/odd in it that should cause problems - it uses pretty standard techniques that *should* be ok. I'd suggest then that we need to confirm the OpenNETCF libraries are installed and working ok, and I'm making the assumption that like the C500 .NET applications run without the need for any additional components to be installed. Perhaps I need to do a bit of research work, but if you could just confirm for me that the OpenNETCF libraries are installed ok, that would really help (go into remove programs, and it should be listed there).

I'll do my best to help you on this one, but without a C550, I'm a little in the dark, so please bear with me...!

Thanks...

Guest Radeon12345

Will try messing with the app and see if I can get it to run as it looks like a cool app :)

Update:- Looked in remove programs, it was installed there ok, but I think my mistake was I installed the OpenNETCF to the storage card, I just tried installing OpenNETCF to the phone storage, started SmartGPS and it started ok ;)

But, the program is only using 75% of the screen and the writing is squashed so you can't read it :D

Least it works :(

Edited by Radeon12345

Guest dwrist

Hi

Please let us know whether you have success with your installation. As documented in this forum, I have problems with a lock up with the MPX220 and it would be great to know whether it was the phone of the GPS device.

Thanks!

:)

Guest Maxrom
Will try messing with the app and see if I can get it to run as it looks like a cool app  :)

Update:- Looked in remove programs, it was installed there ok, but I think my mistake was I installed the OpenNETCF to the storage card, I just tried installing OpenNETCF to the phone storage, started SmartGPS and it started ok  ;)

But, the program is only using 75% of the screen and the writing is squashed so you can't read it  :D

Least it works  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, thats good and bad. I didnt know that the OpenNETCF libraries had to be installed to the phone rather than the memory card either, so I'll update the documentation just in case anyone else has done the same thing.

It's unfortunate about the screen corruption though. Perhaps if I can find a C550, I can get it sorted, but until then, I'm struggling a little. I'll play about with the development tools, and see what I can do.

Thanks for the feedback :D

Edited by Maxrom

Guest Maxrom
Hi

Please let us know whether you have success with your installation.  As documented in this forum, I have problems with a lock up with the MPX220 and it would be great to know whether it was the phone of the GPS device.

Thanks!

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just a quick update for you - I've got v0.7 almost ready to go, and that version is now built against the latest v1.4 OpenNETCF libraries, so I'm hoping that might fix you up. I still second your request though - It'd be good to hear feedback from other MPX220 users as to whether they had success or not with SmartGPS....

Guest Maxrom

NEW version 0.7 released!

This version has a number of changes, some based upon feedback received here. So, in response to previous comments :

minisdcard - this version has fixed altitude display, auto reconnect on loss of bluetooth connection as well as clearing last sat info when this happens.

dwrist - this version is now built against v1.4 of OpenNETCF libraries. Please uninstall your existing libraries, and reinstall from the .cab file in the SmartGPS archive. Hopefully this might fix your lock up issues.

maniac103 - I debugged using the sample GPS data you supplied, but could not recreate the issue you were having regarding odd speed readings. Can you please try this version anyway, and let me know how you get on. Good news though - this version will now save your settings as requested! :)

Here's the release notes for v0.7 :

Fixed 'stuck altitude' problem

Added option to use alternate altitude calculation to support all GPS devices

Added automatic saving of setttings

Added automatic GPS connection attempt on startup using saved settings

Added automatic reconnect to GPS upon lost Bluetooth connection

Rebuilt against latest v1.4 OpenNETCF libraries - PLEASE UPDATE YOUR LIBRARIES!

(Verions 1.4 libraries are included in this archive for your convenience.

Note that these libraries must be installed to your phone, not a memory card.)

Once again, if anyone has any joy running this on an MPX220, please let us know!

Thanks, and enjoy!

Edited by Maxrom

Guest roma0803

Thanks Maxrom for this build. Tried 0.6 on my MPx220 yesterday but it locked up my phone when it tried to connect to my GPS. Disconnecting my battery was the only way to release the phone. At first I thought it had something to do with the baudrate. Uninstalled SmartGPS for the time being.

Today the same thing happened during a TomTom session with my BT GPS. After doing some research it seems that more people have Bluetooth trouble with the new ROM I'm also using (EMEA 1.47) so as it turns out it has nothing to do with your software.

Have to do some more digging in to this problem before I try other GPS software.

Guest Maxrom
Thanks Maxrom for this build. Tried 0.6 on my MPx220 yesterday but it locked up my phone when it tried to connect to my GPS. Disconnecting my battery was the only way to release the phone. At first I thought it had something to do with the baudrate. Uninstalled SmartGPS for the time being.

Today the same thing happened during a TomTom session with my BT GPS. After doing some research it seems that more people have Bluetooth trouble with the new ROM I'm also using (EMEA 1.47) so as it turns out it has nothing to do with your software.

Have to do some more digging in to this problem before I try other GPS software.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the update! If it is something to do with your firmware, I hope you manage to get it sorted out. If you cure the problem with other software, but still have an issue with SmartGPS please let me know.

Good luck!

Guest dwrist

Hmmm

I have the the same problem with SmartGPS before and after upgrading the phone to 1.47, I was previously on 1.28.

My version of Tomtom works fine on both versions of the phones firmware. My deduction from this was that it was SmartGPS that was causing the issue.

I don't think that the Bluetooth implementation on the MPX220 is that robust, for example on Tomtom I have found that if I turn off the GPS device before exiting the application it messes the comport mapping up and I have to uninstall and reinstall the device to get it working again. However, as long as you follow that I have never had a problem with the GPS device actually locking my phone during Tomtom.

I will try V0.7 and report on that.

Guest the_bollix

Tried this with a Holux GPSlim236 and the C500. Seems to be working fine. I'm not sure what I was expecting interms of update rate etc but there seems to be a fair bit of lag (>1s) between (when driving) physically stopping and the smartGPS saying the speed is zero.

This is the first time I've used my C500 with any GPS device so if this lag is par for the course just ignore my comments. I honestly have no idea whether this is the norm, a GPS device issue, phone issue, smartGPS issue etc etc.

Guest Maxrom
Tried this with a Holux GPSlim236 and the C500. Seems to be working fine. I'm not sure what I was expecting interms of update rate etc but there seems to be a fair bit of lag (>1s) between (when driving) physically stopping and the smartGPS saying the speed is zero.

This is the first time I've used my C500 with any GPS device so if this lag is par for the course just ignore my comments. I honestly have no idea whether this is the norm, a GPS device issue, phone issue, smartGPS issue etc etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your comments. In terms of lag, what you're seeing is probably about right for most GPS devices. Mine certainly has that sort of lag when stopping. The delay is due to the way the GPS unit calculates speed, and is a limit of the technology. Some devices may be better than others, but an update rate of once a second is not uncommon. At slow speeds the effect is more pronounced, as it's more difficult for the GPS to accurately calculate how fast you're going from the small distances covered.

Thanks for trying SmartGPS! :)

Guest minisdcard
Thanks for your comments. In terms of lag, what you're seeing is probably about right for most GPS devices. Mine certainly has that sort of lag when stopping. The delay is due to the way the GPS unit calculates speed, and is a limit of the technology. Some devices may be better than others, but an update rate of once a second is not uncommon. At slow speeds the effect is more pronounced, as it's more difficult for the GPS to accurately calculate how fast you're going from the small distances covered.

Thanks for trying SmartGPS!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi here again, spv500 and Cordless GPS device. OK, out and about with smartgps, works ok with seemingly correct speeds, altitude, average and max speeds and satellite lock.

When I then remove gps device from satellite view the display freezes for a short period then goes to the No Satellite screen. When I then regain a satellite fix on my gps the screen does not change. I waited about three minutes but it stayed on the No Satellite screen. My gps blue tooth was flashing all the time so I had bluetooth connection. To get smartgps to work again I had to click Settings and Connect.

If I switch my gps device off smartgps displays the new screen warning of a loss of connection. If I then switch my gps device back on smartgps connects and displays the No Satellite screen. I have to go to settings connect to display current info.

Cheers

When i use this program on my spv c500 ver. 4.1.1.4 it stalls in the screen where it try´s to fix my gps ?

Is it maybe because of my software (4.1.1.4) ???

And where do i find the old openNETCF, i just installed the 1,4 is that wrong ??

P.S. i´m not used to whrite in english :oops:

Guest Maxrom
Hi here again, spv500 and Cordless GPS device. OK, out and about with smartgps, works ok with seemingly correct speeds, altitude, average and max speeds and satellite lock.

When I then remove gps device from satellite view the display freezes for a short period then goes to the No Satellite screen. When I then regain a satellite fix on my gps the screen does not change. I waited about three minutes but it stayed on the No Satellite screen. My gps blue tooth was flashing all the time so I had bluetooth connection. To get smartgps to work again I had to click Settings and Connect.

If I switch my gps device off smartgps displays the new screen warning of a loss of connection. If I then switch my gps device back on smartgps connects and displays the No Satellite screen. I have to go to settings connect to display current info.

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi...

Thanks for letting me know - I was hoping that version would fix the problem, but I guess not :)

The new screen showing that the connection has failed does two things - it closes and attempts to reopens the connection to the GPS device at regular intervals, and it guages the success of this by checking when data was last received. If the application is sticking on this screen, then it means it's not receiving any data.

If this screen clears, and it shows you the main screen with speed and heading etc, then it's got some data, but hasnt had a refresh of satellite information.

Are you seeing speed readings etc, but just no satellite fix info, or is it sticking on the new 'please wait' screen?

Guest minisdcard
Hi...

Thanks for letting me know - I was hoping that version would fix the problem, but I guess not  :)

The new screen showing that the connection has failed does two things - it closes and attempts to reopens the connection to the GPS device at regular intervals, and it guages the success of this by checking when data was last received. If the application is sticking on this screen, then it means it's not receiving any data.

If this screen clears, and it shows you the main screen with speed and heading etc, then it's got some data, but hasnt had a refresh of satellite information.

Are you seeing speed readings etc, but just no satellite fix info, or is it sticking on the new 'please wait' screen?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I beleive that a problem occurs when you lose the satellite signal. smartgps will connect happily if you receive the satellite link then select 'Connect'. However if you lose the satellite link , whether or not you switch off the gps, smartgps will not automatically reconnect the satellite link when you switch on again. The connection / reconnection to the bluetooth gps is working perfectly but not reconnection to the satellite link.

Obviously the recconection of the satellite link is paramount to the operation of the program because you cant keep checking that it is receiving.

Smart hiker, which isnt a patch on this software automatically reconnects the satellite link if it is lost and received again on my setup.

Guest Maxrom
I beleive that a problem occurs when you lose the satellite signal. smartgps will connect happily if you receive the satellite link then select 'Connect'. However if you lose the satellite link , whether or not you switch off the gps, smartgps will not automatically reconnect the satellite link when you switch on again. The connection / reconnection to the bluetooth gps is working perfectly but not reconnection to the satellite link.

Obviously the recconection of the satellite link is paramount to the operation of the program because you cant keep checking that it is receiving.

Smart hiker, which isnt a patch on this software automatically reconnects the satellite link if it is lost and received again on my setup.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Yep, I totally agree - you need to be confident that the SmartGPS is receiving sat info properly for it to be a suitable solution for you. Thanks for your patience with this problem - it does have me a little stumped to be honest.

Assuming that the bluetooth link is re-established ok, and you get dropped back to the main speed / heading screen, but with no sattellite info, I think I might need to get some debug from you to progress further. If SmartGPS gets sat info ok to start with, and assuming the bluetooth connection remains active, there's no reason why it shouldnt update this info when the GPS unit starts to receive satellite data again after its lost reception due to going through a tunnel etc. Are you ok to assist me further with this if I get a debug app out to you?

Thanks.

Edited by Maxrom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sticks on the"please wait" on mine :)

I think i will try to go back to mapopolish to try and se if it is the gps-antenna that´s the problem.

Guest Maxrom
It sticks on the"please wait" on mine  :)

I think i will try to go back to mapopolish to try and se if it is the gps-antenna that´s the problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info - thats still not good, but it's better. It'll stay on that screen until data is received from the device. It doesnt matter if it's valid GPS data or not, just some data. Once received, it'll clear that screen, and try and show speed/heading etc again.

Can I ask how you get it to that screen - did you turn off the GPS device, or if you're using a bluetooth device, did you just move it out of range?

Edited by Maxrom

Guest minisdcard
Thanks for the info - thats still not good, but it's better. It'll stay on that screen until data is received from the device. It doesnt matter if it's valid GPS data or not, just some data. Once received, it'll clear that screen, and try and show speed/heading etc again.

Can I ask how you get it to that screen - did you turn off the GPS device, or if you're using a bluetooth device, did you just move it out of range?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Maxrom. Yes you can give me a debug file and I will test it for you.

Guest minisdcard
Hi,

Yep, I totally agree - you need to be confident that the SmartGPS is receiving sat info properly for it to be a suitable solution for you. Thanks for your patience with this problem - it does have me a little stumped to be honest.

Assuming that the bluetooth link is re-established ok, and you get dropped back to the main speed / heading screen, but with no sattellite info, I think I might need to get some debug from you to progress further. If SmartGPS gets sat info ok to start with, and assuming the bluetooth connection remains active, there's no reason why it shouldnt update this info when the GPS unit starts to receive satellite data again after its lost reception due to going through a tunnel etc. Are you ok to assist me further with this if I get a debug app out to you?

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Maxrom. I have just removed onpen net 1.2 and 1.3 from my phone. It now does recconnect if it loses the signal. I will do some more testing today and give you the results. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.