Contacts Irritation

Guest jgm

Hi,

So I'm quite a fan of the M500 but one thing has really started to annoy me over the last week or so.

When dialling someone I generally go through the following routine: hit the contacts button, select the 'find a name' box, tap in a few letters of their name, select their contact details, select the number I want to call and hit the green/dial button. All this is fine.

However, after I've finished with that call I go back at a later date to call someone else so I hit the contact button and am presented with the last person's contact details and have to hit the 'ok' button to get rid of them, and also to clear down the characters of their name in the find box, before continuing.

Does anyone know if there is a way of getting the contacts app to close once I've hit the dial button so I don't have to go through these extra steps each time?

Cheers,

Jim.

Guest h3adl0ng

You'd be much better off using the dialler rather than the contacts app...

... just hit the Green button - this will fire up the dialler; then enter the first part of the name of the person you want to call as if using T9 (eg. if I wanted to call someone with a first name of Fred, I would hit: 3, 7, 3 - or F, R, E, in t9); Then use the Direction control to move up and down through the list to select the required contact and then left and right to select the right phone type (w, h, m - work, home, mobile); then press the Green button again.

When finished, hit the Red button as per usual... whne you go to make your next call, the search string (3,7,3 - as above) is no longer there - although it will list the last call to enable you to simply double tap the Green button to redial the last number.

Also handy to note, from the Today screen, by hitting Green and then up/down, you can quickly access your speed dials. Similarly, from the today screen, pressing Green and then left/right, you can quickly access your call history. Simply select any of these items using the up/down control and dial by hitting the Green button.

HTH - and I hope I'm not covering old ground for you :)

h3adl0ng

Guest uzi_999

correction : in the dialler app, down and left open the speed dials, up and right open the call history (or thats how it is in mine) - v strange..

You'd be much better off using the dialler rather than the contacts app...

... just hit the Green button - this will fire up the dialler; then enter the first part of the name of the person you want to call as if using T9 (eg. if I wanted to call someone with a first name of Fred, I would hit: 3, 7, 3 - or F, R, E, in t9);  h3adl0ng

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does the M500 search the second name as well like the C500?

Guest h3adl0ng

Apologies for that one :oops:

indeed up/right for Call History | left/down for Speed Dials - Also, its worth noting that the OS transposes the d-pad when the phone is in (either) landscape mode - so if you're holding the phone sideways, the d-pad is always oriented as you might expect

@ nsp, yes, the M500 does search both first and last name and searches for any occurence of the search string - eg 373 (fre) will also pick up anDREw and linDSEy.... 463 will pick up "carolINE " and " tIMEwell".

Phew... I hope that last bit made sense - it was tricky to get the right meaning to come across just using text!

h3adl0ng

Edited by h3adl0ng

Guest hbfair

I've reassigned the 'calendar' button to be 'okay/close'. I wouldn't normally need to bring the calendar up quickly, and being able to shut pages without having to use the stylus is very useful if you're using your M500 one-handed (I mean while WALKING, people! Sheez... :oops: ).

Guest psionandy

I'm using voice command (2 days left on demo before i have to buy it) to work around the 1 handed problem. Works pretty well but it does seem to have a rather hefty footprint

Guest chucky.egg

I'm considering an M500 now, so can anyone tell me...

How easy is it really to use it one-handed as a phone?

Can you type SMS with one hand?

I used to use spb's full screen keyboard, but you lose the rest of the screen (obviously), so what would be cool would be a half-screen keyboard with thumb sized buttons.

Any views?

@ nsp, yes, the M500 does search both first and last name and searches for any occurence of the search string - eg 373 (fre) will also pick up anDREw and linDSEy.... 463 will pick up "carolINE " and " tIMEwell".

Phew... I hope that last bit made sense - it was tricky to get the right meaning to come across just using text!

h3adl0ng

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for taking so much trouble to answer my question and yes it made sense to me.

Guest uzi_999
I've reassigned the 'calendar' button to be 'okay/close'.  I wouldn't normally need to bring the calendar up quickly, and being able to shut pages without having to use the stylus is very useful if you're using your M500 one-handed (I mean while WALKING, people! Sheez...  :oops: ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cant you use the centre/action button for okay, and the red button (hangup) for close, i.e. go back to today screen.. workes fine for me, and i CAN still use the calendar button.. or you can search for 'aebutton' in google

He's not wrong, you know! :shock:

on the other matter, I did think AEButton was a bit weird cos you didn't seem to be able to go back to the original settings screen once you'd passed it, and I couldn't work out what was doing what...