playing aac/mp4/m4a on m500

Guest musicvan

Guest musicvan

I have read several comments about people getting unprotected mp4/m4a audio files to play in wmp10 mobile but not sure if these are false claims? I have tried to sync from wmp10 desktop and this works, the file appears in the wmp10 mobile library but does not play (it briefly appears in the player which then starts on the next track). Does anybody know if there is a mpeg-4 audio codec for wmp10 mobile? There is a desktop aac codec for wmp10 (3ivx). I have a library of m4a files for my ipod which I would like to play on the m500 without conversion (would be nice to sync either device with the same file). I know I could use mp3 for both or purchase another audio player.

I did manage to get unprotected m4a files (itunes audiofiles) to play in the album application that comes with the m500 but this requires the file extension to be changed from *.m4a to *.mp4, seems to play ok. At least that is a start, maybe some conversion utility from itunes to the m500?

Guest Confused Stu

Sorry, I'm not aware of any codecs or plug-ins for WMP10 (mobile). The only thing I can think of is to use the excellent and free TCPMP (formerly Betaplayer) to run these files.

Looking in it's Settings/File Association page, and it can be associated to play the following extensions:

PLS, MP4, 3GP, M4A, M4B, WMA, MPC, WM, WMV, AVI, DIVX, MKV, MKA, OGG, OGM, ASX, WMX, WVX, WAX, M3U, ASF, AMR, M1V, M4V, WAV, RMP, AWB, MP1, MP2, MP3, MPA, MPEG, MPG, MPV

so if this little player won't play your files, I think it's time to admit defeat! :)

TCPMP Download page