Orange SPV M500 Review

Guest sporkguy

AFAIK the flap is only on the M500 - not any of the standard Magician variants. (Jam/S100/S110/etc)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[EDIT]

sorry missed the original reply..

done it all, wasnt worth the effort TBh on the S110...only a couple Mb difference.

ive posted the file list in the other thread incase anyone is interested.

Edited by Br1an_g

Guest tango_lima

Had my m500 about a week now and am v impressed.

had some minor probs with GPRS but orange CS were v good and soon sorted.

porting a number accross with a pac from vodaphone was a pain all settings on phone disappeared when old number was moved.

nearly bought an o2 xda 2i but they could not deliver on time and the state of their CS was really poor. :twisted: on the 3 calls I have made to orange so far they have been outstanding.

really impressed with size, you can make a call with this to your ear and not look a prat like with the m2000 or xda 2, however you do need a screen protector to keep the screen sweat free in this weather.

the usb cable that comes in the box also charges it and dont get suckered into buying expensive replacements that are "dedicated" m500 sync/charge my standared usb/mini usb lead that came with my creative zen micro also syncs and charges my phone giving me a spare lead (one for home and one for work)

had a few probs with bluetooth hands free devices, does anyone have a list of compatibles, as my Jabra 250 does not seem to work v well or my motorolla one.

also the voice dialler that comes installed is a bit hit and miss but that may be the handsfree causing the probs.

All in all an excellent bit of kit and a worthy replacement for both my Motorolla V600 and IPAQ 2210. :o :(

BTW as I came over from Vodaphone cos they dont do pda's in this country i could not get the m500 for less than £99 on a low usage contract but fortunately I sold the IPAQ and phone on ebay for £150 and £95 each which has paid for my carry case, screen protector and SD wifi card with a bit left over.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest psionandy

Just thought I'd say thanks for the review. Have an MDA compact at the moment, but it has to go back :cry: so i'm thinking about defecting to orange. And your review answered some of my main questions :o

Guest tango_lima

Has anyone else had a problem with tomtom nav 5 crashing on an M500.

Whenever I try to browse the map it crashes and has to be re-started.

May be a lack of memory.

Guest chucky.egg
Has anyone else had a problem with tomtom nav 5 crashing on an M500.

Yeah, a couple of people have mentioned that, and there is a thread about it in the Magician area I think

Try searching for "POI.dat"

Guest mupwangle

After using the standard magician form factor and the M500 I reckon the build quality on the standard is better than the M500. It feels a bit flimsy - especially the stylus holder.

Guest chucky.egg

Sorry? Do you mean the M5000?

My M500 is as solid as a brick, no creaks or rattles or anything. The stylus holder is a slot in the side, so I can't see how it could be more sturdy.

Guest confused and hungover
Sorry?  Do you mean the M5000?

My M500 is as solid as a brick, no creaks or rattles or anything.  The stylus holder is a slot in the side, so I can't see how it could be more sturdy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my stylus holder is full of sand. i should probably stop taking the thing fishing.

the sand does however keep the stylus firmly in place :o

Guest mupwangle

>>Sorry? Do you mean the M5000?

Nah, M500. I didn't say it was crap - just that, to me at least, the magicians are better built. The M500 stylus was kinda loose. I knocked it out just by moving the phone.

Guest confused and hungover
The M500 stylus was kinda loose.  I knocked it out just by moving the phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

try some sand... careful not to get it in the memory card slot, it doesn't like it

Guest TigerNet
my stylus holder is full of sand. i should probably stop taking the thing fishing.

the sand does however keep the stylus firmly in place :o

...is this related to the dust issue???

:( :lol: :P :D

Cheers

Nick

Guest Confused Stu

From some of the stories you've posted about your phone Confused & Hungover, I felt I just had to point out that it is:

A PHONE

It is not:

YOUR S&M BUDDY TOY!!

;)

Guest pisquee

Two subjects that are mentioned in the last few posts are the rubber cover for the handsfree and usb sockets, and getting dust in the memory card slot - why didn't they also put a rubber cover over that to stop crap getting in it, and to stop your memory card flying out when you drop the phone?

Guest tango_lima
Two subjects that are mentioned in the last few posts are the rubber cover for the handsfree and usb sockets, and getting dust in the memory card slot - why didn't they also put a rubber cover over that to stop crap getting in it, and to stop your memory card flying out when you drop the phone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you get an M500 from orange you do get a rubber cover on the usb/handsfree sockets but not on the sd slot. saying that if there was one on the sd slot I think it would be a pain. Also most of the 3rd party covers (krussel etc) dont let you open the cover to get to the usb and handsfree ports so the cover has to be cut down on the ends to enable it to be opened without taking the phone out of the case!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cybercamel
i cant upgrade my phone to a m500? orange say out of stock! is there a different version of the phone set to come out? or am i gonna miss out on it ;) anyfeedbacl would be great!!

[email protected]

thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you go into one of the stores? I was told this as well, in fact I was told it was going to be rebranded, perhaps as the M5!!!!!!!

But they also told me to try getting one over the phone with upgrades as they had some left and it would be cheaper. The guy was right on both accounts, free and arriving Monday. 8)

• 3 weeks later...
Did you go into one of the stores? I was told this as well, in fact I was told it was going to be rebranded, perhaps as the M5!!!!!!!

But they also told me to try getting one over the phone with upgrades as they had some left and it would be cheaper. The guy was right on both accounts, free and arriving Monday.  8)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried that myself last night and was told that they were available, but only for business users, so if I wanted one as a personal user then basically too bad! Grr. Does anyone have any advise on this? I've loved my C500 but I'd rather go up to the PDA style then the C600, which isn't even out here anyway...

Cheers

James

Guest Samuran

Hoy all, its been along time since I've posted on modaco but I thought I should now....

Ive been reading this thread and watching the orange update website for a while now along with the "anyone know when m500 is back in stock" thread... I was due and upgrade from my c500 so yesterday I phoned orange and was told they were in stock and I could have one upgrade for £79.99 after quickly checking my bank account I said Yes.

Im on a £25 with orange care contract.... not sure why they keep saying out of stock to everyone else... I hardly imagine I'm there number 1 customer....

:evil:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Funster
The review you did kick'd ass.

One question tho. What was the app you used to get the large blue keys for typing messages?

post-139370-1134576467_thumb.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's Phonepad, select it from the input options list on the bottom right of the screen

Cheers