C550 Available For The States Yet?

Guest xtacybyme

Guest xtacybyme

whats yer guys opinon on it? Worth an upgrade from E200 to the 550? How much are they costing? are they unlocked for Tmobile network here yet?

Any info would be appreciated, i've done a search and all i can find are UK articles. I'm sure i'll be waiting close to a year again before i can get my hands on it GRRR I Need to move to UK

whats yer guys opinon on it? Worth an upgrade from E200 to the 550? How much are they costing? are they unlocked for Tmobile network here yet?

Any info would be appreciated, i've done a search and all i can find are UK articles. I'm sure i'll be waiting close to a year again before i can get my hands on it GRRR I Need to move to UK

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The C550 only supports 900mhz so you won't be able to use the 850mhz band, although that might be OK in some T-Mobile areas.

The C550 is soon to be superceded by HTC Tornado based models, including one from iMate (TBA mid-Sept) which should be sold in the US. The Tornado based models are all quad-band and will support all the GSM bands. They also have a newer OMAP CPU, Wifi, Bluetooth 1.2, Windows Mobile 5 and EDGE, besides the same QVGA type screen as the C550. The downside is I dont expect they will be available before Oct.

Its almost impossible to get a C550 here, and if it was it would be expensive and is soon to be obsolete.

I was looking into the C550 for myself but gave up for the reasons above.

If I had to get a phone immediately for the US I'd probably get either the SP3i (slightly cosmetically updated C500 with a proper joystick), MPX220 or the Nokia 6682.

Guest Confucious

What don't you understand?

In most of the world the frequencys are either 900 or 1800. In the USA they used mainly 1900 but some operators have now started to use 850.

The C550 is triband 900/1800/1900 so will work in the USA where they have a 1900 band.

Orange will only have a roaming agreement with those that use 1900 so if O say it will work where you are going than either T-Mob are using 1900 in that area or the roaming will be done with another phone company.

HTH

Guest bitbank

I got the C550 for software development and I use it with T-Mobile in the USA. Cost a fortune to get it here and then unlock it, but it works great.

L.B.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tejasmi5

i bought the c550 in the UK and got it unlocked before i came back to the US. I put in my US cingulat chip and it does not work. Would you think that an AT&T chip would work?

Guest PPCPassion
i bought the c550 in the UK and got it unlocked before i came back to the US. I put in my US cingulat chip and it does not work. Would you think that an AT&T chip would work?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That means Cingulair is using 850 frequency in your area. I live in Wash DC area and have no problems with either Cingulair or T-Mobile. Check with Cingulair to see which frequency they use in your area? If they say 850 then you are out of luck. You may need to switch to some other carrier such as T-Mobile. I think it will be a good idea to buy some prepaid sim card of that carrier (I usually get from eBay) and try in all the locations that you visit frequently and then decide to switch. I always thought Cingulair uses 1900 frequency in MAJORITY of USA? May be a dumb question, but are you sure your phone is unlocked? Try borrowing T-Mobile Sim from a friend and try it. You can also try AT&T but chances are they may also be using 850 just like Cingulair but worth the try. Good Luck

Guest Amiroquai

T-mobile USA uses the 1900Mhz band in some major locations in the States.

I've heard stories about people using the C550 there with the T-mobile carrier with no problems.

Guest tejasmi5

I actually live in the DC area too. The phone is def unlocked. I used a mates at&t chip and it worked fine, but neither a t-mobile or cingular chip will work. The cingular store said that they don't sell at&t chips anymore. I might just try to trade chips with someone.

Guest PPCPassion
I actually live in the DC area too. The phone is def unlocked. I used a mates at&t chip and it worked fine, but neither a t-mobile or cingular chip will work. The cingular store said that they don't sell at&t chips anymore. I might just try to trade chips with someone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live in DC area and have absolutely NO problem using T-Mobile SIM card. I even tried my friend's Cingulair and it worked flawlessly. I live in Maryland to be precise but travels to Virginia and DC areas and did not have any issues. Granted there are some areas in Maryland where T-Mo signal is weak but that's with any phone. T-Mobile uses 1900 Mhz frequency which is already built in C550's hardware.

Guest tejasmi5

damn, thats crazy. i goto UMD and my 64k cingular chip gets no signal. i used to have a t-mobile chip and i tried that and the same problem. maybe i'll just try to get another chip and see what happens.

Guest PPCPassion
damn, thats crazy. i goto UMD and my 64k cingular chip gets no signal. i used to have a t-mobile chip and i tried that and the same problem. maybe i'll just try to get another chip and see what happens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It may sound a crazy question and please don't take it offensively. Are you sure your phone is unlocked? I know it'a a very basic question but thought of asking anyway. Last weekend, I was in College park area as well as across from UMD campus (college park) in one of those restaurants across from the campus and I do remember making/receiving few phone calls there. May be you are testing the phone in a "dead zone". For example, when I visit Frederick area (route 40 west), I'll be talking and suddenly comes across a block or two of dead zone without any signal. I am sure you have tried in different areas and going by your experience which is obviously different than mine. Good luck.

Guest tejasmi5

yea i'll try it in some other areas. i'm sure i unlocked it cause i can freely switch my O2 UK and Orange UK chips and i also used a friends at&t chip in the area. i unlocked it from some website anf paid 20 pounds. where did you get the phone and how did you unlock it? thanks.

Guest PPCPassion
yea i'll try it in some other areas. i'm sure i unlocked it cause i can freely switch my O2 UK and Orange UK chips and i also used a friends at&t chip in the area. i unlocked it from some website anf paid 20 pounds. where did you get the phone and how did you unlock it? thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A friend of mine shipped it from UK. It was unlocked by: www.imei-check.com