Questions re Orange M500 (t9, icons)

Guest maxwell_hung

Guest maxwell_hung

Hi all

After reading the posts on here I decided to get a M500, not a bad deal £30 inc BT headset.

So far so good, although I have a couple of questions regarding it.

Can I "teach" T9 words that it doesn't recognise like on a regular mobile. When I type a word that is not recognised it seems a right pain to have to delete the word I typed and do it with keyboard etc.

On the review here it show the welcome screen with big icons for Inbox, IE etc.. but mine only has small ones with the GPS monitor, battery etc... How can I change this?

Lastly, a bit of a long shot this but I wrote a little app in Visual Studion.NET 2003 for the phone. I built the cab file to install but there's a few for ARM but I dont' know which one to install. Also, do I have to install anything for .NEt onto the device or is it already on?

Thanks

Matt

Guest uzi_999

dont know much on t9 - i tend to use the transcriber,

GPS monitor - dont you mean GPRS monitor. go to settings - today and the tab called items. then you can select the gprs monitor and change some settings from there..

.net should be already on there.. and im sure its an arm processor but i dont know what type.. sorry

but i hope this is useful

To get info about the phone's hardware and software, have a look at:

Start->Settings->System->Device Information

As for the T9 learning, I just tried switching my M500 to "keypad" mode - to emulate a phone keypad. In T9 mode, the word "gubbins" wasn't in the dictionary. So, I switched out of T9 and into "normal" keypad tap-tap letter mode and entered the bord and then pressed "space". Then, I switched back into T9 and tried to type the word in and it appeared as one of the options. So, it would seem like this is the method to "educate" your phone :)

Finally, the "big" icons on the "Today" screen - have a look at SPB Pocket Plus - it's a Today screen add on that lets you put whatever icons you want onto the homescreen. It also allows you to have small and large icons. It's possible that the photo you saw was of a phone with this installed.

Hope this helps,

Hax

Guest drellmsu

Actually there is a post somewhere about how to train your phone. It started out by typing all the words you normally used in an Email on your computer, and saving it as a draft, then syncing that to your phone etc. This would save you loads of time from having to input it on the numpad.

Just do a search for your phone and t9 on the forums, and I think you should find it fairly easy.