Fonix Voice Dial software problem on M500

Guest NikLP

I've got an Orange M500, very happy with it (even more so now the price of SD has dropped so much!) although I think because of the presence of the stylus, the voice dial functionality is more necessary than it was on a Smartphone.

However, I have had no success whatsoever (with *one* exception) in getting the proprietary Orange-installed 'Fonix Voice dial' software to work. Even when I let it record my voice, it doesn't recognise it. :shock:

No I don't have any dribbling, speech defects, etc... :roll:

I have over 250 contacts in my phone book - is this likely to be the cause of the problem? It basically just attempts to dial a contact whose name sounds absolutely sod all like the one I said, either spelling-wise *or* phonetically.

It is making me rather cross. Anyone?

Guest RazorD
I've got an Orange M500, very happy with it (even more so now the price of SD has dropped so much!) although I think because of the presence of the stylus, the voice dial functionality is more necessary than it was on a Smartphone.

However, I have had no success whatsoever (with *one* exception) in getting the proprietary Orange-installed 'Fonix Voice dial' software to work. Even when I let it record my voice, it doesn't recognise it.  :shock:

No I don't have any dribbling, speech defects, etc...  :roll:

I have over 250 contacts in my phone book - is this likely to be the cause of the problem? It basically just attempts to dial a contact whose name sounds absolutely sod all like the one I said, either spelling-wise *or* phonetically.

It is making me rather cross. Anyone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, its the software. Its always the *first* thing i uninstall after a hard reset :)

It annoys me that it takes up one of the side buttons which could be used for something more.. productive. By the time you've got it to dial a number, you could of just typed it manually ;)

Guest zippy172

LOL... I've had my M500 for a couple of weeks now and up until this thread, I've *never* even used the voice dialling... Yes, it's utter pants!

Guest jscotl

I've just got an m500 & began to dabble with the voice dialing & I have to say :oops: (so far anyway) I've found it quite impressive :)

I hold a little under 500 contacts & the 1st 3 attempts have been quite accurate, including asking to call one persons mobile, someone else's home & then work No.s.

I have experienced a could of mismatches, but I guess if by answering No to the "Is This Correct?" question, then I'm sure the software is adapting to my pronounciations ;)

Initial impression.... We're gettin close to the Star Trek idea of chatting to Computer 8)

What I have noticed is that if a Contact is stored with a middle initial, I have to quote it. eg. Call Joe B Loggs @ Home will work, but Call Joe Loggs @ Home may not :roll:

Mind you, still very early days. I need to give the m500 a bit of a real-life test when I'm out & about working :exclaim:

.....I could be updating my opinion to match earlier posts soon (Hope not)

Guest Confused Stu

I'm going to buck the trend in this post too. I love the voice dialing and find it about 99% accurate whenever I ask to "Call Steve Smith at home" or whatever. I had a few problems first couple of times when saying "yes" to it being correct and getting "please speak more clearly" but then I twigged that I had to wait about a quarter of a second before saying yes and it's never caused me a problem.

In fact, the only time it's got the wrong thing was when I tried to use it in a pub and my mate shouted obscenities at it when I started to speak. It picked up my mother-in-laws name, so maybe it knew what it was doing after all..... :)

Come on - this software is trying to recognise everyone's voices for names it's guessing how to pronounce! And it's even being more successful at it than my last Nokia (two years ago) when you had to record your own voice tag first!

I really do think this is one of the best features of the phone and wish I'd been told about it before I'd bought it.

I'm not saying it's total crap, I just wondered if maybe I had missed something.

I couldn't find much documentation, perhaps I should check again. I do realise that lots of people have said this software is good, I just personally can't get the damn thing to work. I didn't see any mention of it 'learning' my voice, I was under the impression from what I read at the website before now that this was completely the point, it doesn't NEED to learn?

Also, I don't really want to be sat on a bus or something saying 'call peter p parker at the pub' or some rollocks, into a PDA with loads of chavs everywhere, that's no good! I assigned ONE recording to ONE voice and it didn't pick it up. I would have thought it would at least check thru the ones I asked it to remember before it started guessing by itself?!

Perhaps someone could shine some official light onto how this product *actually* works?

Guest maxwell_hung

I have found the voice dial to be pretty much useless so far. It's much easier to use the phone pad and look the number up from there.

I tried to change the button for it so I could use it for something more useful but no matter what I set it to it always opens voice dialer. Anyone else gets this?

Guest psionandy

Voice dial was a dead loss for me (unless I was in a silent room). Much as I hate to admit it the MS voice command software works very well. It might be worth giving the 5 day demo a quick spin (I hated Vito too btw)

Guest dan13l

If you're not aware of it, here's a handy tip.

Hard reset the device, then calibrate everything, and run through the startup. Then, quickly, soft reset the device before it has a change to install the apps.

This way, you can install everything else from the extended storage area, but not fonix; if you're never going to use it, it seems a shame to install it in the first place :)

You'll have to back your device up before you do this though - a hard reset will cause all your data to be lost...

I find the voice dialling to be about 90% accurate when it comes to recognising the names and "at home", "at work" and "mobile" bits. However, I find myself getting completely frustrated with it when it sits there showing me the correct name and number and asking "Is this correct?" to which I answer "Yes".... Pause for about 8 seconds.... "Please speak more clearly. Is this correct?" "Yes" Another pause and then again: "Please speak more clearly. Is this correct?" "For bloody hell's sake YESSS!!!!" Another pause and then "Good-bye"...

I cannot for the life of me understand why it is able to recognise any name out of my contacts list (spoken by (it would seem) anyone - a few of my workmates have tried it out successfully too) pretty much flawlessly, yet it struggles to understand the word "yes"! That said, I found that speaking in a "higher pitched" voice seems to get it to work - although I'd feel pretty stupid squeaking out the word "yes" in a public place - dunno about the rest of you!

That said, I've just had a go at tweakign the recognition and rejection settings a little more - and so far (speaking extremely quietly at the phone as I'm in the office!) it seems to be working better... Will have to wait until I get into the car on the way home tonight before I can definietly say that it's improved! :)

Guest Confused Stu

Hax, I always had the same problem at that point. I found out mine was because I was answering it too quickly. Try waiting half a second after the beep and it should be much more receptive.

Guest uzi_999

i find it good,, it impresses when you can just say the digits and it will dial them...

for all the people having problems.... i think you may have to set up your voice for the device!!! how, you ask??

go into the voicedial configs, and go to the voice tab, you may have to scroll right... now match the system voice as close as you can with your voice by selecting a sample and changing the spped, pitch etc..

thats what i done and it works everytime!! well almost..

someone please dont tell me that im chatting boll*cks, if i am, then what is this option for??