C550 Joystick Fault

Guest Radeon12345

Guest Radeon12345

Have had my C550 for about a month now and I love it, best smartphone have ever had :)

Only Last Friday was playing a game on it, all was working ok, I tried to exit the game but pressing the Joystick down and it wouldn't work, it went up, left and right, not down :cry:

I thought might be a software problem as it is a Windows phone 8) , so rebooted it and same problem :cry:

Phoned orange 5pm Friday and told the, the problem and they sent me a replacement next day, arrived at 11am Saturday, was very pleased, , used Sprite Backup and restored the image I made of my old phone, worked great, had everything identical to the old phone in no time, I then ran a game and I so a dead pixel :shock: , I was shocked :shock:

Phoned Orange again, explained problem and again, arranged to have another replacement sent next day at around 6pm Sunday, again very pleased with their service, am just waiting for my replacement to come any time now, just hope this one is working ok ;) or I will have to phone Orange again 8)

Edited by Radeon12345

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

I had a new C550 from the Solihull Orange shop a few weeks ago, had it two weeks and my down and left stopped working.

Tried the usual still no good, took it back to the shop and guess what it worked perfectly anyway I explained and the manager gave me a new one.

Looks like the C550 may end up being the worst SPV for joystick problems

Guest Radeon12345

Just received my new replacement C550, crossed my fingers, powered it up and all is working ok and no dead pixels :) ;)

Just hope it stays working 8)

Guest Pondrew

I hate to say it but there've been problems reported in the past with HTC joysticks in the HTC Voyager and HTC Feeler. Sounds like they still haven't got it right.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SilentlyScreaming

I am experiencing problems with my C550's joystick as well.

Intermittently, up and right do not work.

This fault didn't occur till 29 days after I signed the contract in the Orange shop, and apparently this means they (Orange Shop) must send my phone off for repair. If it had been reported within 28 days, the shop would have replaced it with one of their own stock. The manager is away until Friday, and the shop said it could take up to 4 weeks to get my phone back. No loan phones are available, and I am going on holiday from 16/9.

I asked a friend to check if the shop had any C550s in stock, a couple of hours before I went in, and asked the asst (sorry, phone advisor), directly, when I came in to the shop, any C550s in today? Yes was the original answer, but eventually they decided they had none in, even if they could get a swap authorized.

Just wondering if anyone has some advice to try and get this phone swapped/repaired a little bit quicker?

I tried quoting sale of goods act ('74?), and printed out a relevant summary of it, particularly the section that states customer can request a replacement/repair, nothing about 28 day cut off. However, asst responded that Orange shop sold me the contract, the phone came from the manufacturer, so Orange shop was not at all obliged to replace the phone, and that despite there being no loan phone, no refund could be made for the period that I won't have a phone for. Also mentioned that the contract has small print mentioning 28 day cut off for replacement of faulty hardware, as opposed to repair, so I was stuck.

I had also spoken to 150 a few times regarding this, and got a fault code (I'd already done a hard reset), and their advice conflicted somewhat with what the Shop themselves were prepared to do.

PS If this is too much of a thread hi-jacking and/or the wrong area to post in, could a mod please place this post somewhere more appropriate? Thanks.

PPS If anyone from Cheltenham branch of Orange shop reads this, I do appreciate your asst.'s efforts to find someone who was prepared to authorise the swap, but the final (?) outcome of our conversation was not satisfactory.

[edit] corrected typos

[edit2] Meant to say, insurance job isn't a possibility, decided against it when signing up, and was told I would have needed to pay £15 excess anyway :-o

Edited by SilentlyScreaming

Guest SilentlyScreaming

Thanks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should say/refer to? Not quite sure what terms to search for on the forum, to see if anyone else found the right approach to get things sorted quickly, does anybody remember reading any relevant threads?

The manager is supposed to be calling me today, shan't be holding my breath though...

[edit] I got bored of waiting and rang the shop. They were very busy, and took a while to answer it, but once I got through, I spoke to someone who hadn't yet dealt with this problem.

I checked the manager was back in store today, and that they did have some C550s in stock, then explained my situation once more. He stuck me on hold for a few mins, then came backon witht he good news that they'd do a swap, and keep a box by for me to pop in tomorrow.

Assuming they don't go back on their advice today, I'll be a very happy bunny.

Thanks for taking the time to read this...

Edited by SilentlyScreaming

Guest SilentlyScreaming

Don't know yet, not going to have too much faith 'til the new phone is in my hand, and I'm out of the shop. 10 hours time...

Fingers crossed...

Guess its an oppurtunity to just install the stuff I want, and end up with a sleeker system.

Guest SilentlyScreaming

All looking good so far. 10/15 mins in the shop, and walked out with new phone.

Re-installing all apps, and pruning old files from sd. Wife mentioned that there appeared to be some feedback at her end, but that may have been a location problem, not phone, will monitor...

http://www.which.net/campaigns/yourrights/...complaints.html

Interesting read regarding any claims made by a store that a phone is supplied by the manufacturer, not them, therefore they're not responsible. In other words, they're wrong! The SoGA still applies and all claims should be directed to where you bought the phone.

Also:

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/schools...oodsTN%202.html

Mobile Phones

When a consumer buys a mobile phone their rights and responsibilities are the same as those for any other goods. The goods must still be of a satisfactory quality, fit for their purpose and as described. The trader is still liable for any problems that cause a breach of these three main rights. (See teacher's notes for The Smart Shoppers Guide to Consumer Rights).

However, there are often two separate contracts when mobile phones are purchased. The buyer purchases the phone from a retailer but often pays a monthly 'line rental' to an airtime provider or purchases 'top-ups' from the airtime provider. In these situations the buyers claim could rest with either the retailer of the phone or the airtime provider.

If the phone itself is defective then the buyers claim will be against the retailer of the phone. However, if the problem is with the telephone service then the buyers claim will usually be against the airtime provider. It is important that the buyer addresses their claim to the correct trader.

Often if a mobile phone is defective the trader will arrange to repair it. There is no legal requirement on the trader to provide a replacement phone whilst the original is being repaired. It is worth mentioning that the buyer may be able to request compensation from the retailer if they are paying line rental to a separate trader but unable to use the phone.

Google is a wonderful thing:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1725402005

Edited by sponge