Kinpo iDo S600 Pocket PC Phone

Guest squall

Guest squall

At the MoDaCo Summer Event on Saturday there was much interest in the HTC Universal sporting Orange colours. Rightly so, it seems the Universal will be the first 3G Pocket PC Phone Edition device to reach the UK consumers, and although not a small device, it does hold much promise.

However there was also a quiet gentleman there from Kinpo Electronics Inc who brought with him a Kinpo iDo S600. Perhaps this will not be a device you will be familiar with, but it is currently on the market, all be it in Asia, but it is all to easy to forget about devices which don’t get released on the European / US market so I was delighted to get a chance to see this device and chat with the Kinpo rep.

Kinpo iDo S600 Pocket PC Phone

This device is very similar to the HTC Magician, from the size of the screen to the units physical size. The Specs are only slightly weaker that the Magician, with the exception of battery life, which it was reported would last 5 hours of calls.

post-2019-1124800168_thumb.jpg

Specs

GSM Triband

Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition for Pocket PC

Dimensions : 109 (L) x 55 (W) x 21.5 mm (H)

Battery Type: Lithium-Ion 1300 mAh - 5 hours talk time

Weight 145 grams

The thing that most excited me about this device was not the size, the look or the features, good as they were HTC had pulled something similar out of the bag before Kinpo. However this was Kinpo's First Pocket PC device powered by Windows Mobile. I think it is quiet an achievement to almost match HTC who are the market leaders and have many years of experience with your first attempt. It makes you wonder what the future will hold for Kinpo.

Their next device

Again this was answered by the nice rep from Kinpo who also brought with him a dummy of their next device. I didn’t get photos or even a name, however below is a limited spec list. It is also worth noting many people confused this device with the HTC Wizard, as like the reports of the HTC Wizard this device has a slide out keyboard for use when viewing the phone in landscape. This orientation of keyboard seemed more useful than the thumb pad style such as the M2000 etc.

Specs

Windows Mobile 5 Phone Edition

Processor: Intel 400mhz

Ram: 128

Connectivity: Wifi, Bluetooth, IR, GPRS, GSM

The device was slightly narrower and longer than the magician.

Conclusions.

Kinpo's first venture into the PPC market was a good one, it could hold its own against the Magician if it weren’t for HTC being so established in Europe, however being realistic it seems very unlikely any network would choose to carry both the Magician and the iDo S600.

That said things do look good for the future, if Kinpo can get their next device on the market before HTC fit WiFi to the Magician form factor then they will be in with a fighting chance of getting a foothold in the European market. I look forward to seeing what they can do.

Links:

Kinpo

Guest vijay555

i had a play with it at the 'Party', and it's nice, but feels quite plasticy compared to the hunk of aluminium feeling of the Magician. But as stated, it bodes well for their future products. It was nice, good screen, fair size (although i think was bigger).

The little representative dude was cool though, smiling non-stop, looking slightly perplexed at all the beer swilling English fellas.

V

Guest Pondrew

I'd be worried about how long lasting it was if it does feel plasticy as suggested. All the Smartphone and Pocket PC Phones I've had from HTC have lasted really well which, given the high cost of replacing the handset, I'd really expect.

The little representative dude was cool though, smiling non-stop, looking slightly perplexed at all the beer swilling English fellas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.