M500 SMS Bug!

Guest Dade

Some of you will no doubt have already noticed this but the M500 suffers from the same SMS bug that the M2000 did.

Anyone not familliar with this it happens when you send an SMS and auto correct adds an apostrophe. ie Dont gets corrected to Don't. When the correction is made the number of characters that can be sent in an SMS is reduced to 70 and therefor you end up sending more text messages!

Watch out for this, it soon adds up.

The way round it is to turn off 'Use Unicode When Necessary' in the Text Messaging options.

Why the hell didnt Orange correct this?? I reported this to them over a year ago when I had the trial M2000. It only happens becasue the auto correct inserts a non-standard charachter that looks like an apostrophe.

Some of you will no doubt have already noticed this but the M500 suffers from the same SMS bug that the M2000 did.

Anyone not familliar with this it happens when you send an SMS and auto correct adds an apostrophe. ie Dont gets corrected to Don't. When the correction is made the number of characters that can be sent in an SMS is reduced to 70 and therefor you end up sending more text messages!

Watch out for this, it soon adds up.

The way round it is to turn off 'Use Unicode When Necessary' in the Text Messaging options.

Why the hell didnt Orange correct this?? I reported this to them over a year ago when I had the trial M2000. It only happens becasue the auto correct inserts a non-standard charachter that looks like an apostrophe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have found another bug on my m500. or part of the same one. I thought I had corrected the bug by doing as Dade states and turning off unicode. Friends have told me that when they recieve a text from me, there are questionmark symbols in place of the apostrophies!

Guest dave_a
I can't find that setting, although I'm sure I saw it somewhere I can't find it now

Can someone tell me where it is?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go to your inbox and select 'Options..' from the tools menu. Select the accounts tab and then select the Text Messages accounts. The option should be in there

Guest zippy172
I have found another bug on my m500. or part of the same one. I thought I had corrected the bug by doing as Dade states and turning off unicode. Friends have told me that when they recieve a text from me, there are questionmark symbols in place of the apostrophies!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, if that's the case, this bug should be reported continuously to Orange until they pull their fingers out and release an update....can't be having texts going out where the recipient sees question marks...

Guest chucky.egg
Go to your inbox and select 'Options..' from the tools menu. Select the accounts tab and then select the Text Messages accounts. The option should be in there

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks!

That's 3 different areas where settings are stored for SMS then! :roll:

Depends on the phone you send it to I think. Its either that or high SMS bills!

When I found the bug on the M2000 I did speak to the handset manager. He promised me that he would let the people in customer services know the situation so that IF someone was to maybe complain.... then CS would know to give refunds!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fluffcat1

Just rung up about this as concerned that 295 characters being sent as 5 messages, muppet CS people didn't even understand what I was saying - just kept saying 'the spaces count as letters in a text message'....

:twisted:

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Code Monkey

New M500 here, just checking settings and it seems the default was to have use unicode as neccessary ticked already.

so nothing needed, possibly Orange doing this as short term work around to avoid any s/w fix.

Guest kev51773

Turning off Unicode will (depending on provider) cause don't to be sent as don?t.

The characters that are used aren't just lost, its that way for a reason, on most phones unicode symbols just aren't available.