MoDaCo Summer Event 2005 C550 theft - SOLVED!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest pierre

All,

Did you never do something wrong in your entire lifetime? I personally believe that those who left the phone unattended share a fair part of the responsibility.

This world is such that a fair proportion of people have a tendancy to steal. For some it is even a disease.

If I was Cocky, I would prefer much more being in police's hands than most of your's.

Paul: sure you're a great detective!

Edited by pierre

Guest Pondrew

Pierre, you're not seriously saying that the theft of a £300 Smartphone is a small thing are you? People who steal should be looked on kindly should they? Sorry mate, not in my book. At least, I don't believe Cocky has been treated unfairly in any way today. If you do then, frankly, that's your problem not ours.

These days changing and faking IP address and identity is easy - so any banning will not help much.

BTW: Leigh, have you been present in this particular Modaco event ?

If you're with an ISP that issues a constant, fixed IP then I don't think that it's easy to change unless you switch to a dial-up connection which issues a dynamic IP address from DHCP. You also can't really fake an IP address, we can always get an IP address and it'll be correct, it's just a matter of whether that IP is a proxy server or from a web cafe, dial-up connection etc

Unfortunately I couldn't make it down on Saturday as it was my dads birthday, but I did go to the previous one in Brum and was planning on attending this one too.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
All,

Did you never do something wrong in your entire lifetime? I personally believe that those who left the phone unattended share a fair part of the responsibility.

This world is such that a fair proportion of people have a tendancy to steal. For some it is even a disease.

If I was Cocky, I would prefer much more being in police's hands than most of your's.

Paul: sure you're a great detective!

That is absolutely no excuse whatsoever. The phone was completely hidden in a box and required cocky to rummage through and take his pick of what he wanted to steal. If they are that concerned about the concequenses then they shouldn't have done it in the first place.

Guest inspectorgadjet

Well done on getting him.

Nice piece of detective work, and quite frankly, I would hope that Orange do go to the police with the matter. He deserves what he gets for being such an idiot.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I think cocky got a very good deal... no police, and I haven't posted his real name or picture (and trust me, I've been tempted).

I'm sure cocky would agree with me... i'm interested to see if he has the bottle to come to this thread and apologise!

P

Guest bretto

Top joint effort. Truely CSI worthy.

While your searching IPs... I keep hearing about the scammer who "sells" his phone to people but never delivers. Not the same IP is it?

Id say to Cocky to go fly a kite...but apparently he doesnt have one :)

"Cocky" damn straight he is!!

Guest Paul [MVP]

No, we have done detective work on some of these people too... but got to the stage where it would require police intervention to trackback the IP at the ISP end... giving us a dead end other than providing a dossier for the police to act on (or not).

P

Guest matthew.matthews

Well done :) Glad you got him. The way you treated him shows you are a fair and just person. I personally would have handed the information over to the police but you have been very controlled. This just shows the person you.

Guest leaderon

Well done Paul! and thanks for organizing such a great event (minus the theft incident)

Keep up the good work!

:)

p/s: I think the theft should be named and shamed with his real name and identity details else I think he just got away "too easily" with this.

Guest Alsicole

Glad to hear you caught the guy. It put a downer on an otherwise excellent event.

John and I are looking forward to seeing you all at the next one!

Cheers,

Alison

Guest nickcornaglia
It took a carefully controlled diet of Mc Donalds + beer over many years to get that figure, it was well earned. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NOOO! Not that. I'm certainly not one to mention those kind of things. I meant this!

(man this joke went NOWHERE!) :)

post-4796-1125047132_thumb.jpg

Guest Confucious
NOOO! Not that. I'm certainly not one to mention those kind of things. I meant this!

(man this joke went NOWHERE!) :)

But encee - that's his normal shape!

;)

Guest Matt Whitfield
I think cocky got a very good deal... no police, and I haven't posted his real name or picture (and trust me, I've been tempted).

I'm sure cocky would agree with me... i'm interested to see if he has the bottle to come to this thread and apologise!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed - I seem to remember James' brother getting pics of pretty much everyone, so IMO Paul has showed a great deal of restraint and for that Cocky ought to be extreemly grateful.

Glad you got the phone back in the end.

Guest casper508

A big round of applause for Paul for his detective and the rest of the team who helped uncover the mystery. Very glad to hear that the phone has been returned to Orange. Keeping fingures crossed for the DRAW now. :)

Cas

Guest nickcornaglia

Anyone else notice COCKY's email address link works in his member profile? I emailed him daring him to reply to this topic. I hope he does.

Guest poulidis

Hi Paul, this is inspector O'POULIDIS from the Scotland Yard. I would like to offer you a position as a detective...

No, just kidding...

Great job though. There is always a mf who destroys all the glory of such an event.

Guest bretto
judging from the pic of awarner above, someone needs to mention to him that you should take the BigMac out of the box before eating it :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LMFAO!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.