MoDaCo Summer Event 2005 C550 theft - SOLVED!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest awarner [MVP]
judging from the pic of awarner above, someone needs to mention to him that you should take the BigMac out of the box before eating it ;)

Naw I need the added fibre to help process all that lard :)

Top Notch Work people. I would have lost the plot. lol

I have had a phone stolen on me already. And Modaco members helped me get another one at a great price.

btw did i say thanks Simon?

Cya

Guest dazza12
All,

Did you never do something wrong in your entire lifetime? I personally believe that those who left the phone unattended share a fair part of the responsibility.

This world is such that a fair proportion of people have a tendancy to steal. For some it is even a disease.

If I was Cocky, I would prefer much more being in police's hands than most of your's.

Paul: sure you're a great detective!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see the Guardian readers have come across this thread then.......

Guest Confucious
I personally believe that those who left the phone unattended share a fair part of the responsibility

I have never heard such twaddle in all my life! :shock:

Guest Griff_FFOC

I'm glad you got the phone back. Makes you wonder why people bother. You could pretty much guarantee it would be blocked before the box is open. I'm sure Orange can block a phone from the IMEI as well as the sim card.

If it's one thing I hate, it's tea-leaves.

Well done to our "CSI-Modaco" team. :)

Guest xerxes
All,

Did you never do something wrong in your entire lifetime? I personally believe that those who left the phone unattended share a fair part of the responsibility.

This world is such that a fair proportion of people have a tendancy to steal. For some it is even a disease.

If I was Cocky, I would prefer much more being in police's hands than most of your's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is absolute rubbish Pierre! It is wrong to steal both morally and legally. Do you really believe that if some little git chooses to go through my things and take whatever he feels like, that it's in some way MY fault?

You might feel differently if it was your phone. And what about if it was your car? Does that make it your fault for leaving it on the street?

Your bizare attitude is the sort of thing that makes it easier for criminals to get away with it and encourages crime.

Guest gbsimpson
All,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nobjockey. He Stole the phone, got it unlocked, and used it... Nuff said. No sympathy.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I think the key thing is that it was stolen, and despite our pleas at the event, the thief then went on to unlock it... he clearly had no intention of returning it.

I would feel different if cocky stole it, realised that he did wrong and was afraid to give it up on the day, but then arranged to return it to me afterwards.

I am thankful I phoned him before he sold it (or indeed binned it, since it was useless!)

P

Guest Samsonite

fwiw, i think the police should have been involved. stealing is stealing.

remorse should have made him give it back asap anonymously if poss but even coming clean is never an excuse for a pardon.

from the story as relayed by Paul, he didnt have any intention of returning the phone. Are we to judge that this was an isolated incident ? what if he's been nicking stuff and getting away with it for ages....

Guest rickwookie
I see the Guardian readers have come across this thread then.......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, you see it's cheap politcal jibes like that that really offend. I don't agree that we should live in a world where we should expect people to steal, nor do I read the Guardian, however I think I understand where pierre was comming from when he wrote:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you see it seams from comments like this...

if ANYONE pulls off a stunt like this again, i can guarantee i will not show as much restriant as i did on Saturday...

...Cocky - I know who you are, i remember (both of) you, if i ever see you walking down the street you'd better the hell be ready to explain youself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...that some would suggest a vigilanty style response. Great, let's all reduce ourselves to criminal means to deal with criminals.

Now I KNOW Monolithix that it is very difficult not to feel like this when you're pesonally involved but all the same, I feel that the correct way to deal with criminals (and let's not be in any doubt that that's what cocky is!) is to use the Police. After all, what am I paying all that tax for to fund a police force and CPS if people choose 'not to involve them' when it's an open-and-shut case?

This all now means that it's just one theft that cocky didn't sucessfully pull off. No comeback at all except that he's had to return a phone that was no good to him anyway. To quote Samsonite:

what if he's been nicking stuff and getting away with it for ages....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, until his next 'oportunity' then...

Anyway, rant over.

Back to work.

Edited by rickwookie

Guest dazza12
Yeah, you see it's cheap politcal jibes like that that really offend. I don't agree that we should live in a world where we should expect people to steal, nor do I read the Guardian, however I think I understand where pierre was comming from when he wrote:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rick,

We all know where he's coming from, but it was the comment about the phone being left in a position where it could be stolen, so therefore it not being the fault of Cocky but MoDaCo.

The point is, the police should have been involved, however it is ultimately down to Orange. But comments like Pierre's certainly don't help and I was in no way implying that vigilante action would be better.

It will probably be suggested Cocky was to be sent on a safari to help rehabilitate him back into society and claiming compensation from MoDaCo for the anguish the discovery of the theft caused him. I know this might sound like sarcasm, but it's these Guardian reading public servants that would end up dealing with him if the police / CPS was involved.

Pierre is effectively suggesting that is Chris and Paul's fault for not locking the phone away and therefore Cocky should have kept the phone by default.

Guest rickwookie
The point is, the police should have been involved...

...It will probably be suggested Cocky was to be sent on a safari to help rehabilitate him back into society and claiming compensation from MoDaCo for the anguish the discovery of the theft caused him. I know this might sound like sarcasm, but it's these Guardian reading public servants that would end up dealing with him if the police / CPS was involved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, do you think the police should or shouldn't have been involved? I'm a bit confused by your post. (Oops, now THAT sounds like sarcasm!) :)

I think maybe its time that we all move on from this.

We all know it was a bad thing that Cocky and Im not defending him at all BUT its been dealt with, I don't think its necessary to start making threats.

I wish the SMARTPHONE or PHONE EDITION topics on MoDaCo were this popular!!

Guest beersoft

(keeping it nice)

the way i see it, using your logic, if you invite me to your house i can take anything thats not bolted down?, and its your fault for having nice things!

or if you go into a shop and they have something nice, you can pocket it and its there fault because its not behind a locked door, not because your a dirtywhatnotnoswearing

i'll say it again, stealing is stupid, and you will get caught and prison isnt a nice place

later

Owen

Guest mcwarre

Well done to Paul and team and a thanks to Zone-MR.

In my opinion if the C550 doesn't go to me (!) then it HAS to go to mcwarre, he had 5 (FIVE!!!) of his raffle tickets get drawn, he deserves it!!

Great work to all involved in sorting this mess and let that be a message to anyone who'd have the cheek to consider doing such a thing.

Just to save Paul hassle I will kindly accept it! (no more Orange hats please Mr Will) :) ;)

Guest agent.m
I think maybe its time that we all move on from this.

We all know it was a bad thing that Cocky and Im not defending him at all BUT its been dealt with, I don't think its necessary to start making threats.

I wish the SMARTPHONE or PHONE EDITION topics on MoDaCo were this popular!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you're right next subject please :)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Firstly - i think people were more offended with that post at the suggestion that the blame should lay on anyone else other than cocky.

you see it seams from comments like this...

...that some would suggest a vigilanty style response. Great, let's all reduce ourselves to criminal means to deal with criminals.

Secondly - i am not a criminal, i am particularly offended that you might suggest i had any intentions to break the law, i did not intend to imply that i would resort to criminal methods to gain vengance...

I was portraying that this incident made me _extremely_ angry, and were it up to me he would have not got off so lightly. I would have gone straight to the police (just to make that perfectly clear) as soon as the phone was returned. i said this to Paul once i was told it was being returned.

Now I KNOW Monolithix that it is very difficult not to feel like this when you're pesonally involved but all the same, I feel that the correct way to deal with criminals (and let's not be in any doubt that that's what cocky is!) is to use the Police. After all, what am I paying all that tax for to fund a police force and CPS if people choose 'not to involve them' when it's an open-and-shut case?

Anyway, i don't want to turn this thread into (any more of) a flaming match. At the next event i'll remember to add security guards and rottweilers to the security detail...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.