MoDaCo Summer Event 2005 C550 theft - SOLVED!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Pondrew
,Aug 28 2005, 13:24]Slashdotted!

http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/08/28/0049252...tid=133&tid=193

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having just read the feedback to the slashdot article I have to say there are some really weird people in the world. And I'm not talking about those that spend obscene amounts of time arguing over semantics, spelling and grammer. No, I'm referring to the couple of comments claiming non of this ever happened... :shock:

The worst of which claims he was there at the meet, the phone wasn't stolen but was actually won by someone... what's that all about?! :evil:

Spose at least it gives me a use for my new favourite word (appears in the slashdot article, begins with f and ends with d, oh, and is very popular with the RedVsBlue scriptwriters!) :twisted:

Guest djfuego
Well done Paul and everyone involved in tracking this.

I have to say Paul, you've shown very good restraint here, if I was in your position, I wouldn't have hesitated to come down on him like a ton of bricks. Many of us left the event, wondering if the person stood next to them had taken it.

It's a shame the data protection act doesn't let you provide more details about him, I for one wouldn't mind his IP details in order to ban him from any sites hosted by me.

Glad to say it's had a happy ending, much happier for one person when you've picked a winner!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good job Paul!

Well done! :)

OWNED!!! :twisted:

Guest wirefree90
I think it's kinda funny stealing a phone from a bunch of phone experts... always gonna backfire ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whilst working in the Orange UK devices team I was asked to do some work on a brand new PCMCIA datacard developed in the UK. This was a prototype unit and one of only two in the UK.

After a few days testing the unit went missing from my desk....

The Orange security team (I think you've met them Paul on more than one occasion) promised to track the unit down for me. A few days later the unit was brought back to my desk.

Apparently the culprit was caught when he called tech support 'casue he couldn't get it to work in his laptop.

:)

Guest dazza12

There seems to be a lot more info about the culprit on Slashdot. From what's been posted, I think I remember who Cocky was.

Am I correct in thinking the person was accompanied by a female at some point during the event? If not, and I've got completely the wrong person, I apologise.

Guest imranwaka

hey guys (sorry and girls)

u can tell i dont post to much, but i'mm on here a bit and just think you did a great job and thought i should just say that, n come on that guys name just says it all, anyway bye

Guest nickcornaglia

Okay, I'm officially unsubscribing to this thread!

Which is a good time to remind Paul to fix the problem when email notifies you of EVERY response, no matter if you visited the thread again or not! :twisted:

Guest MitchellO
Okay, I'm officially unsubscribing to this thread!

Which is a good time to remind Paul to fix the problem when email notifies you of EVERY response, no matter if you visited the thread again or not!  :twisted:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, this bug is a bit annoying. Would be great to have it fixed.

Guest mupwangle

>>This is all how the music companys, music artists, and motion picture studios feel when you steal MP3 files or movies online.

Hmm.... Sort of true. The record company execs get really sad when they lose 0.00000000000005% of their bonuses. If the artists actually got the majority of the cash from records sales then I might feel bad if I was to download stuff (Obviously I don't cos that would be bad!)

I read some statistics on it and if I remember correctly - the artist gets the smallest cut of everyone involved.

Lol i wish.. nothing yet... family dinner tonight.. have all the mates dinner on fri...get legless on sat... oh what a fun week its gonna be...

with a c550 i can take pics and show all the great members of modaco how much fun i had :)

"Z"

btw. This web2messenger rocks

Hi,

Awesome job on getting the culprit.

Sad but true fact of life today thief’s are everywhere.

You are now more socially mature. We all are. It is a learning experience.

As a manager of a Skating Rink I've caught both employees and customers stealing. My policy is zero tolerance. If I get the stuff back or money they are just banned from the rink for life. If they do not co-operate I call the sheriff. (Never had to do that, yet.)

I live in Ohio, USA and would have loved to attend a MoDaCo. But I don’t see that happening. I've got a "friend" who lives outside London now, who I could send to next event as entertainment :)

Bye, ix666

Edited by ix666

Guest MitchellO
I read some statistics on it and if I remember correctly - the artist gets the smallest cut of everyone involved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not surprised...

Guest leinadafc

Belated congratulations, although I didn't go to the event I was really p***ed off when I heard about the theft - it was obvious a lot of altruistic effort had gone into organising the event.

Reading the investigation was very interesting - it kicked off the theme from "The Red Hand Gang" in my head, now I can't get rid of it!

Guest cold_fire
,Aug 25 2005, 22:56]I am very pleased to announce that the SPV C550 stolen at the MoDaCo Summer Event is now back in the safe hands of Orange... following some excellent detective work....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice work guys ,u pot the technology "at your feet", u proved that by beeing patience and wise u caught the thief .I hope that nothing like that will happen again .See ya ! ;)

Oh and btw just noticed that this is my 500 post ,i am "Addict" now ,thank u MoDaCo !!! :) =D>

Edited by cold_fire

Guest C00LH4ND

Well done to Paul and team... all cudos to you.. Have you though of a job with the police ?

I really pity Cocky.... is technology so important to his life that he needs to steal it from others. What right did he think he had just simply to take it? He's as low as the characters who steal mobies from 10 yr olds on the street.

For the sake of a few months waiting when it would be free anyway he has brought discust on himself and treatened the good relations between Paul & Team and MS & Orange.

Guest s4czech

Here's another intersting theft story.

Camera Phone Has Life After Theft

By Kevin Poulsen

Story location: http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,68668,00.html

02:00 AM Aug. 29, 2005 PT

A New York stock clerk who had his camera phone swiped from his car this month says he was able to peer into the life of the gadget's new owner. The thief evidently didn't realize the copious photos and videos he was taking with the hot phone were accessible through a web account.

John Clennan, 23, says someone rummaged through his unlocked car while he was working the nightshift at a Long Island convenience store earlier this month. Several days later Clennan realized his Sanyo 5500 was missing from the vehicle, and he called service provider Sprint PCS to have the service cut off.

Because the camera phone can only hold a limited number of images, Sprint lets subscribers upload photos from the device to a web account. "I decided to go and check out the web space and see if there were any pictures uploaded to it, and he had taken almost 40 pictures and five movies and uploaded them all," says Clennan.

Most of the images show the same young man, flexing for the camera in various states of dress, kissing a young woman, posing with apparent friends and family members, and generally having a good time with a new toy.

When Clennan checked the account's e-mail outbox, he found the new owner had forwarded some of the photos to a particular Yahoo e-mail account.

Clennan sent his own message: "Like to steal cell phones and use them to take pics of yourself and make videos.... HA! (G)uess what pal ... (I) have every pic you took and the videos. I will be plastering the town with pics of your face."

Far from chastised, the man fired back a taunting one-line note, apparently with his own name in the header, dropping the name of a woman Clennan had been dating, and who'd sent text messages to the stolen phone.

Clennan retaliated by posting the story and some of the photos to a Long Island web board, where it immediately began gathering the kind of interest that accumulates to photo-driven internet phenomena like the Korean Dog Poop Girl and the New York subway flasher.

Urged on by netizens, Clennan says he finally took the trove of evidence to the Suffolk County, New York, police last week, and they're considering filing petty theft charges in the case. "The detective actually laughed," says Clennan.

"The police told him that they were going to subpoena Yahoo, because they have the e-mail address," says Clennan's mother, Susan Clennan. "I would assume that it's probably not one of their top priority cases. It's not Sherlock Holmes material." (Police say the investigating officer is on vacation, and he could not be reached for this story.)

Contacted by e-mail, the camera phone's new owner told Wired News he didn't steal the device, but merely found it on a street corner. The young man says he's 16 years old, and Wired News has elected not to report his name.

"I should have locked my doors, and this wasn't the first time," says Clennan. "It was totally my fault. But after seeing how stupid this guy was, he just had to be caught."

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.