Help! Radio version 0.810 installed

Guest jemmicat

Guest jemmicat

OK... I just got this MPx200 and have just unlocked it today to work with my Cingular service. It had all of the original old info on it so I flashed it to the Windows 2003 upgrade. Well, it works fine but poor reception as expected but went looking and it seems I am on radio version 0.810. The "About" section listes radio version as "0" and when I went into the engineering menu it shows the exact version as well as 0.810. It appears everyone is running version 1.0 but I cannot figure out how to get there. I've tried flashing with 2002 and 2003 but I'm starting to figure out that is not changing the firmware. But it appears I joined all of this late and now cannot find any of the firmwares... So am I on the right track? I need a new .bin file to get to radio 1.0? I had found a link in here that explained all of the firmware versions but in all my searching this morning, I've not been able to find it. Which version do I need?

Guest brunim6987

I doubt that the radio version is the cause of the poor reception. How poor is the reception? I've found these phones in general to be quite poor everywhere. I wouldn't worry too much about the radio version.

It is strange that you have a radio version < 1.00 with WM2003 considering the original AT&T version of WM2002 I had on my phone at one time was 1.00. I can't remember if there is a separate radio update ROM available anywhere. I'll have to check into this.

brunim6987

Edited by brunim6987

Guest jemmicat

It is an original AT&T branded phone. I don't know much about it other than I got it and it was told to not have worked. But it works fine and everything other than the reception. I mean, barely any in open air and I'm in a fairly metropolitan area (Near St. Louis, Mo). I mean 1 bar in those area or a brief 2 bar. But I would at least like to get the radio version to 1... whether it helps or not.

Guest awarner [MVP]

The only way to change the radio version is to reflash your phone with another ROM. Unfortunately there are not any legal updates available for you to use.

There was a GSM fix when the first hacked 2003 ROM was released but this was only created for the Cartman version to improve reception for those having problems. This is not needed on other versions.

One thing thoufh is are you sure you have proper coverage in your area and the network is using the correct band? Don't forget the MPX200 from AT&T are only dualband and not triband like the European models.

There is an alleged hack to supposidly make the MPX200 from AT&T triband but it's not proven and also highly ilegal as it alters the phone IMEI which can lead to a nice jail term in some countries.

Guest jemmicat

I HAVE reflashed with different Rom's. I have used 2 versions of the WM2003 and one of the WM2002 and none have changed the radio version in the slightest. I mean, If it's a firmware issue shouldn't it be updated when flashing between the ROM's or am I completely missing something?

Guest awarner [MVP]

All it means is that the ROMs you are using do not include the Radio update.

That's the fun with playing with ilegal software, you never know what you are going to get.

It still does not mean that this is your problem, my radio version is also 0 and I do not have a problem at all with reception apart from the reduced amount you get with the MPX200.

I have the second version of the 2003 release, this was before it was officially decided it was ilegal and MSmobiles stopped hosting it on his site.

Guest kasimxp
,Aug 30 2005, 06:28]Don't forget the MPX200 from AT&T are only dualband and not triband like the European models.

There is an alleged hack to supposidly make the MPX200 from AT&T triband but it's not proven and also highly ilegal as it alters the phone IMEI which can lead to a nice jail term in some countries.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh :exclaim: .. playing with words again.. All mpx200 are triband!!!

It is not an alledged hack.. it is more a patches.. and it is not illegal and doesn't alters IMEI#. And the most of all it is proven technique..

Edited by awarner [MVP]

Guest yomotox
It is strange that you have a radio version < 1.00 with WM2003 considering the original AT&T version of WM2002 I had on my phone at one time was 1.00.

I bought my phone 2 weeks ago and radio version is 0.97 (built on Sep, 2004). "About" says that version is 1.00. Also, firmware version from my operator is 0970.

Maybe this is the reason because wm2002 has a newer version than wm2003, they still bugfixing wm2002 as it is "official".

The reception is full when I turn on the phone, just when it connects to the carrier, but when the "G" appears on the screen, then it lost 1 or 2. Anyway, when i make a call, it seems to "gain" this 1 or 2 lines.

Guest awarner [MVP]

The UK MPX200 was re-released with a newer firmware but I do not know about other units for certain from Vodaphone in Holland etc.

I don't think AT&T ever had an update, if so this may explain why 2003 does not have a newer radio stack, as the hacked 2003 ROM came from the AT&T 2003 test ROM.

Guest m1.carson

Hi,

I changed from Orange [after years with them] to Fresh, which uses T-mobile as a carrier, and was virtually without a signal for two days, although the Carphone Warehouse assured me that the coverage in my area was "excellent" , changed back to Orange and could use my phone again.

Don't know the situation in the States, but try a different carrier.

Guest meat head
OK... I just got this MPx200 and have just unlocked it today to work with my Cingular service. It had all of the original old info on it so I flashed it to the Windows 2003 upgrade. Well, it works fine but poor reception as expected but went looking and it seems I am on radio version 0.810. The "About" section listes radio version as "0" and when I went into the engineering menu it shows the exact version as well as 0.810. It appears everyone is running version 1.0 but I cannot figure out how to get there. I've tried flashing with 2002 and 2003 but I'm starting to figure out that is not changing the firmware. But it appears I joined all of this late and now cannot find any of the firmwares... So am I on the right track? I need a new .bin file to get to radio 1.0? I had found a link in here that explained all of the firmware versions but in all my searching this morning, I've not been able to find it. Which version do I need?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am having the same problem...I got my mpx200 when they first came out with AT&T. I upgraded my WM to Cartman and unlocked it to work with Cingular. I havent had any luck finding anything to flash, hack, unlock or otherwise make this thing tri-band.

If anybody has any info on this, i'd appreciate a little help / direction.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I changed from Orange [after years with them] to Fresh, which uses T-mobile as a carrier, and was virtually without a signal for two days, although the Carphone Warehouse assured me that the coverage in my area was "excellent" , changed back to Orange and could use my phone again.

Don't know the situation in the States, but try a different carrier.

My mpx200 decided to do this with 900mhz, the solution was to get into engineering mode and set off a couple of tests, then it recognised the sim and everything was fine.