2Gig SD Card - compatible with M500?

Guest pisquee

Guest pisquee

Bought a 2 Gig SD Carc on ebay. Can't get it to work in my M500 - When I insert it into the phone it says "Do you want to try and format this storage card to make it readable? This will permanently delete any files on the card. Yes No" If I press yes the phone reports "This storage card has been succesfully formatted" but the phone then does not recognise that there is a card there, and when put into my laptop Windows reports it as having a RAW format of 0 capacity. If I use Windows to format the card with either FAT or FAT32 and then put it in the phone I still get the same message. My friend has an HP PPC (not sure of the model, and the card works fine in there) Has anyone here managed to get a 2Gig card working?

The card used is My Flash/A Data ... the ebay sale was ... 7537854714

Edited by pisquee

Guest mcwarre
I think it was found that the 2Gb cards don't work in the Magician.

Why is that then. Mis-information is worse than no-information....................... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Edit: I also think that it was found that Santa Claus doesn't exist :shock: :shock:

Edited by mcwarre

Guest MitchellO

Seriously, I am quite sure I read a thread discussing this exact topic a few months ago when the 2Gb came out. There was some document that said it supported up to 1Gb cards.

Guest jamesb
Seriously, I am quite sure I read a thread discussing this exact topic a few months ago when the 2Gb came out. There was some document that said it supported up to 1Gb cards.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not true, there are compatibility problems, but some 2Gb cards (the sandisk ultra II for example) can be used in the magician.

Guest Palindrome

When I had a phone conversation with a person from Moby Memory about the compatibility with the Sandisk Ultra II I was told that a memo had gone round saying the SPV M500 could only use 1GB SD cards.

If you have a M500 and are sucessfully using a 2GB SD card with it please could you post confirmation of the fact. If you have tried a card that doesn't work also post the make and model here as it will make a lot of people feel better if there was a trusted compatibility list.

Guest Disco Stu

The post MitchellO refers to discussed the fact that SanDisk Ultra II 2.0GB SD cards work perfectly well in the iMate Jam, which I can confirm.

The problem was with MobyMemory's own brand 2GB cards which they themselves confirmed were not compatible. I remember them giving refunds to MoDaCo members at the time they came out.

Why ? How ?

No idea, I'm not an engineer :)

Guest MitchellO

Thanks for that. I knew I had read about problems with 2Gb SD cards. I would love to get a 2Gb SD card, so anybody who has one working on your Magician, please do post the manufacturer of the card (and the cards name).

Guest weeerob
Thanks for that. I knew I had read about problems with 2Gb SD cards. I would love to get a 2Gb SD card, so anybody who has one working on your Magician, please do post the manufacturer of the card (and the cards name).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've got a San Disk 2Gb Ultra x66 card in my M500 works a treat. I got it from this seller http://stores.ebay.co.uk/UK-MEMORY-SUPPLIER though don't think he's got any 2gig ones at the moment.

Guest hanhha2000
Bought a 2 Gig SD Carc on ebay.Ā  Can't get it to work in my M500 - When I insert it into the phone it says "Do you want to try and format this storage card to make it readable? This will permanently delete any files on the card. Yes No"Ā  If I press yes the phone reports "This storage card has been succesfully formatted" but the phone then does not recognise that there is a card there, and when put into my laptop Windows reports it as having a RAW format of 0 capacity.Ā  If I use Windows to format the card with either FAT or FAT32 and then put it in the phone I still get the same message.Ā  My friend has an HP PPC (not sure of the model, and the card works fine in there)Ā  Has anyone here managed to get a 2Gig card working?

The card used is My Flash/A Data ... the ebay sale was ... 7537854714

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a Sandisk ultra 1gb card in the M500 and it works fine. I would expect that a Sandisk 2gb version would wrok as well. Hope that a 2gb SD will reduce in price in the next few months as there is talk of a 4gb card so I can upgrade.

The incompatability could be due to the fact that the less expensive cards use a slightly different memory configuration. Branded cards such as Sandisk use a single flash memory module whilst the cheaper cards use dual memory modules to make up the required 2gb memory(2 x 1gb). M500 and some other PPC, camera's, etc cannot read this memory system. Some can only read but are unable to write to the sectors.

Bit of a bummer, but it is always worth buying branded or more expensive memory as they are generally more compatible.

Hope this helps.

Guest bretto

Just bought a 1Gb SD card (150x Adata)

Popped it into my xdaII powered by wm2003 and bingo no problems all is good as it should be.

On my Jam same as first post. "Do you want to format etc, etc," then nothing! cant even view it via explorer or PC explorer.

Popped it back into my xdaII and it then asked me to format it. After the format the xdaII worked again.

So now Im thinking its an operating system thing with wm2003se. Going to upgrade the JAM to the latest ROM but not before I grab a format utility and see if that works.

Guest bretto

Well after a ROM upgrade and using various flas format utilities and options there is no way that I can get my JAM to acknowledge this SD card. :??:

On the upside my xda2 works perectly with it. go figure...older technology but works :shock: ...just another reason to love my xda2.

Guest MrHaggis
Just bought a 1Gb SD card (150x Adata)

Popped it into my xdaII powered by wm2003 and bingo no problems all is good as it should be.

On my Jam same as first post. "Do you want to format etc, etc," then nothing! cant even view it via explorer or PC explorer.

Popped it back into my xdaII and it then asked me to format it. After the format the xdaII worked again.

So now Im thinking its an operating system thing with wm2003se. Going to upgrade the JAM to the latest ROM but not before I grab a format utility and see if that works.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got the 2gb (150x Adata) - (ebay...) and have very similar probs with my T-mobile MDA compact (IJam etc) only recognises it as having 7.60MB. on entering it - says will format disk and all data will be lost. only thing is the data that is on there remains. Let me know if you have any luck with any fomat utility you use... otherwise I've got a useless bit of plastic.

Excuse the formatting am a forum virgin....

I got the 2gb (150x Adata) - (ebay...) and have very similar probs with my T-mobile MDA compact (IJam etc) only recognises it as having 7.60MB. on entering it - says will format disk and all data will be lost.Ā  only thing is the data that is on there remains. Let me know if you have any luck with any fomat utility you use... otherwise I've got a useless bit of plastic.Ā 

Excuse the formatting am a forum virgin....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No format (fat16 fat32 etc) or format utility I used could get it going unfortunately.

The device just doesnt recognize it! Its not the operating system or the card but I believe the device (jam) / card combination as the xda2 is perfectly happy with it.

I would like to hear if anyone is using a 150x card in a jam.

Next step is in progress...have the same card but a 60x version coming overnight so I hope it works.

Guest En_croute
otherwise I've got a useless bit of plastic.Ā 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me know if that's the case, I'll buy it for my Camera.

Good Price - OK ?!! :)

Are you in the UK?

Guest Draexin

I've got a 2GB Sandisk card and it works like a charm. (it's the "regular" SD card, not the Ultra II or Extreme III).

I'm using an Orange M500;

ROM version = 1.06.00 WWE

Radio version = 1.05.10

Protocol version = 1337.39

I have an Adata MyFlash 150X Turbo SD 2GB card (see attached pic) with an M500 from Orange and can confirm that is does not work.

I have also tried it in another M500 hand set with the same results. Just to be sure, I reinstalled my phone so it was at factory default and the same problem still occurred.

It appears that it's the formatting of the disc that is creating the issue as it works fine in a digital camera but as soon as you replace it back in the phone it ask for it to be formatted again and then once this is done sucessfully it then reverts back to the old problem of not seeing all the space.

I've just ordered one of the ScanDisk SD 2 GB cards so will post here if it's sucessful.

The original memory is for sale if anyone is interested (I'm based in London)

My phone software info is as follows:

ROM version = 1.06.00 WWE

ROM date = 01/06/05

Radio version = 1.05.10

Protocol version = 1337.39

post-147987-1126027758_thumb.jpg

Guest chocolatelustboy
The post MitchellO refers to discussed the fact that SanDisk Ultra II 2.0GB SD cards work perfectly well in the iMate Jam, which I can confirm.

The problem was with MobyMemory's own brand 2GB cards which they themselves confirmed were not compatible. I remember them giving refunds to MoDaCo members at the time they came out.

Why ? How ?

No idea, I'm not an engineerĀ  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have an imate JAM with a KeyMem 2GB card at 133x speed. I get these same errors about reformatting the card etc.,... but no usability. Also had the same experience as many others - the card works fine in other devices, just not imate JAMs.

I've heard local rumour (here in Hobbit-town, New Zealand...) that the imate JAM does not support SD cards over 1GB or 66x speed.

From what you're saying the first claim seems to be incorrect. So just wondering now about the speed thing.

Do you know of a hardware compatibility list for the imate JAM that shows what cards do / don't work?

I've also had shocking after-sales / technical support from imate - they take forever to come back to me (currently been 11 days since the last request for help) and they don't seem to know the technicalities of their product. It's a shame when there seems to be more knowledge about the JAMs limitations in forums like this than with imate's Technical Support!

Has anybody else had a similar experience?

I think the long and the short of it is that if you have a Jam or whatever equiv you will need to steer clear of the faster cards.

Appears that 60x or 66x cards are AOK but the 133x, 150x etc are not working properly. I really dont know about the pda2k etc but on the himalaya (aka xda2) the faster cards work.

It doesnt appear to be an OS or ROM version thing but a hardware thing. My xda2 running wm2003 is very compatible with the 150x Adata card but the mini coughs and dies.

Ive worked in with my memory supplier to test this theory and have now sent them an email on the results so I hope they will go back to their supplier and let the info flow to all the right places. Maybe the next person wont have to go through it all.