First Picture of the Orange SPV c600 ...

Guest SmartphoneFrance

Guest HerpezP

On Mobile-Review it says this about the models based on the Tornado platform:

* HTC Riemma. Our today reviewed smartphones - Qtek 8310, Qtek 8300. Two variants - business and musical versions - exist.

* HTC Faraday. The same Riemma without Wi-Fi.

Maybe this is the HTC Faraday...? Besides that, I don't see 3G mentioned anywhere other than some places where someone suddenly posts "so this is the new 3G device" or something like that... Where does that come from? :roll:

Guest Pondrew

3G has not been mentioned in any of the believable rumours I've heard. Nor in any of the sources available. Wifi on the other hand has long been included in the spec of the HTC Tornado.

Unfortunately we'll have to wait and see. I would say though, that even if Orange's latest Smartphone doesn't have wifi then there are alternatives such as the new Imate SP5 which is confirmed as having wifi. I'd also stress that the UK is no longer retricted to only one network that supports Smartphones. Myself, I'm gonna be patient and see what comes along...

...but then, I'm more into the Pocket PC Phone platform these days and the HTC Universal is about to hit the ground running as the first 3G device running Windows Mobile. Makes for a nice distraction in the meantime!

Guest dave106

"Integrated Wi-Fi module (optional)"

Theres the key phrase in that mobile-review link of the Tornado. So its up to Orange if its included in the C600. Shame on them if they havent. I'll be upgrading to this phone and sticking it on ebay then use the money to get one of the WiFi Tornados instead.

Orange Switzerland told me that it has never been a topic to have a C600 with WiFi....WiFi has not been offered by HTC as they said.

I can feel you and am disappointed as well.

...but what else is there to buy? I have been in the same situation many times but always came back to WM-Phones....

If the C600 should have the same hardware (except for the phones body) why not simply trying to flash an other ROM-Image (QTEK or whatever)? This might unlock the WiFi-Feature....maybe it has simply been disabled software-wise....

Well, I must say shadamehr; you have outlined some VERY important points which I also stand by.

I left the HTC world when I eventually got fed up with the terrible build quality I was receiving from HTC's line of smartphones. The E200 with its sticky buttons and doggy joystick and also the C500 with its 'dust' problem. After many replacements under Orange care I was fed up. I moved to a Sony Ericsson K750i. Yes! A run-of-the-mill camera phone. Just so happens one HELL of a CAMERA phone.

HTC seemed behind the times. The C500 was old-fashioned in its multimedia capabilities sporting its prehistoric VGA camera. The C550 (which appears to be a middle-of-the-road sort of device in HTC's product line) also appeared to be lacking in the field with the absence of WM2005.

And now the next line of HTC phones appears to be unveiling, sporting once again a behind-the-times 1.3 MP camera and now to round everything off there is talk of the absence of WiFi.

I believe the inclusiveness of WiFi has HUGE retail value. I myself would be very tempted to move back to a HTC device if a WiFi capable product was released.

I cannot see any understanding for Orange to drop this feature. Whether this is just me being hopeful; time will tell.

I cannot see any understanding for Orange to drop this feature. Whether this is just me being hopeful; time will tell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMHO - Skype and other such services are been seen as a threat....

Terran

IMHO - Skype and other such services are been seen as a  threat....

Terran

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, that's why France Telecom are rebranding Wanadoo to Orange...

Maybe they see WiFi/UMA phones as a great opportunity if you use them on their broadband!

Guest dearsina

I'm completely agreeing with shadamehr, The SPV smartphones used to be miles ahead with mp3/video players, movie recording and the full internet, but all that really seems to have happened since the very beginning (in 2002!) is increases in processor speed and decreases in size. Playing around with my friend's new SE with bright LED flash, mp3 player with the memory card NOT hid under the battery (what were HTC thinking) and very decent games and joystick, makes me really question the future of this platform. I don't use any of the high-level email faux-push features of the SPV, so I'm out of excuses to switch platforms.

Very disappointing. And then to read on this thread that the phone MIGHT have Wifi and MIGHT be 3g, I just wonder WHAT IS THE POINT!

sina

/used to love SPV; now not so sure anymore

Guest Pondrew

Not saying you're wrong folks but I remember before the HTC Typhoon (C500) came out there was a LONG thread about how awful it was gonna be and how bad HTC were for designing it...

I'm completely agreeing with shadamehr, The SPV smartphones used to be miles ahead with mp3/video players, movie recording and the full internet, but all that really seems to have happened since the very beginning (in 2002!) is increases in processor speed and decreases in size. Playing around with my friend's new SE with bright LED flash, mp3 player with the memory card NOT hid under the battery (what were HTC thinking) and very decent games and joystick, makes me really question the future of this platform. I don't use any of the high-level email faux-push features of the SPV, so I'm out of excuses to switch platforms.

Very disappointing. And then to read on this thread that the phone MIGHT have Wifi and MIGHT be 3g, I just wonder WHAT IS THE POINT!

sina

/used to love SPV; now not so sure anymore

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can see your point and was considering moving to SE but what does it offer that the c500/600 doesnt?

Overall there are so many more features on the smartphones isnt there? correct me if im wrong

Louis

Guest dearsina
Can see your point and was considering moving to SE but what does it offer that the c500/600 doesnt?

Overall there are so many more features on the smartphones isnt there? correct me  if im wrong

Louis

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the things that are keeping me on the WM platform are:

1. Full internet (don't know ANY other platform that does this, correct if I'm wrong)

2. Plays practically any media file (I think the other phones have their proprietary formats, correct if I'm wrong)

3. Integration with Outlook (although I think everybody can do this now, I still imagine the Windows mobile to be the best at working with the Windos OS, again, please correct if I'm wrong)

The things that really tempt me over:

1. Considerably better cameras (up to 2mp)

2. LED Flash (I own a decent Nikon, so the only times I take pictures with my phone are in situations where I don't want to carry around a camera bag, usually at night)

3. A memory slot that is actually useful, ie. is on the outside of the phone, so I can update my music without having to switch off my device

4. Phono jack for my headphones (SE does this very well), so I don't need to keep buying adaptors that break every 2 months.

I was just about to place an order for a C550, but after having played with my mates SE, I'm not sure any more.

Guest markdotpeters5

Pains me to say it, but I've ditched Windows mobiles for the near future. I now have a SE K750i. The camera is more important to me than most people. The other features of the phone (music player, radio etc) are nice but less important to me. Therefore the SE wins hands down. (I still think smartphones are better music players than any other phone I've tried - and that includes the SE W800i).

I long for the day when a Windows powered smartphone comes out with an intergrated flash and at least 1mp camera. Shadamehr has a very strong point. I'll wait to see what the new batch of cameras are like, but after seeing the C550 results, i'm not impressed, at all.

I think the c600 looks bland and boring compared with the recent tornado pics (Qtek 8300)... which also suggest wifi capabilities.

Is it just me or do the screens on the c600 and qtek 8300/8310 look slightly larger than 2.2"?? Ie slightly larger than c550?

Until seeing the qtek 8300 I was waiting out for the samsung i300 but I dislike the fact it has a whopping qvga screen reduced down to only 2". What's the point? C'mon HTC start releasing some good looking powerful phones!!!

Guest dpeilow

guys, how much of this is adobe photoshop and how much truth?

I can see why Orange are dragging their heels with WiFi, think of all that GPRS revenue they will lose (especially abroad in hotels - where I recently ran up some killer bills).

Guest dearsina
guys, how much of this is adobe photoshop and how much truth?

I can see why Orange are dragging their heels with WiFi, think of all that GPRS revenue they will lose (especially abroad in hotels - where I recently ran up some killer bills).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Orange need to stop acting like luddites and realize that someone will make a WiFi phone anyway and GPRS is going to die a painfull (hopefully, nothing like waiting 4 minutes to open an ebay page) death, so they might as well corner the market, instead of running away from it.

Guest martinwilliams999
Pains me to say it, but I've ditched Windows mobiles for the near future. I now have a SE K750i. The camera is more important to me than most people. The other features of the phone (music player, radio etc) are nice but less important to me. Therefore the SE wins hands down. (I still think smartphones are better music players than any other phone I've tried - and that includes the SE W800i).

I long for the day when a Windows powered smartphone comes out with an intergrated flash and at least 1mp camera. Shadamehr has a very strong point.  I'll wait to see what the new batch of cameras are like, but after seeing the C550 results, i'm not impressed, at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about the Eten M600?

It's a little bigger than the SPV C550 or M500, but has a 2.8 inch screen, 1.3mp camera with flash, WM5 & Wifi.

Edited by martinwilliams999

Whats a real shame is not the fact that HTC dont make good cameras but SE dont make any smartphones. Heres a world leading computer AND camera company and its sitting lazily around and making phones for teenagers that are all clever marketting variants of each other. They have nailed a price range in the market and seem more interested in profit than leading the cutting edge right now. Why they stick with only their p900 series when they could squeeze a windows smartphone into their new 750/w800 series I dont know. Perhaps they're still heavily controlled by ericsson, but hell if they can put the 'W' of walkman on their phone I'd like to see them try 'Viao' on a phone!

post-124705-1126518358_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.