Confused

Guest pauliewog63

Guest pauliewog63

I have a MPx200 that has the WM 2003 firmware/rom running it. And yes I paid for it before I knew any better and that is a non offical release but I have to admit that my phone has never been so stable and that it has a increased signal by not dropping calls. It works good on this particular phone.

Now for the question:

I am trying to move to T-Mobile from AT&T/Cingular. I have received unlock codes from Cingular and have attempted to put the T-Mobile sim in the phone. Even though under Settings>Security it shows "Enable Sim Lock" I get a message to enter the PUK code as well as enter the new password and re-enter password with the new T-Mobile sim installed. After I enter those three with the new T-Mobile sim installed the firmware returns another message that says "This Sim is unable to perform this action" or to that effect. So the question is why am I getting that message and is my phone unlocked and if so what else do I need to do to get the T-Mobile sim to work so I can change to T-Mobile service for my phone and internet access? I have done all this myself to include loading the new firmware and like I said all is working very well including the browser to the net.

MPx200 w/ WM 2003 ver. 4.20

Brand is unknown other than it states Enhanced Rom by M.S. with the Moto "M" on the opening boot up screen.

Guest pauliewog63
When SIM unlocking you have to put the new SIM in then boot the phone.

On start up it should ask for the SIM unlock code.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HI Awarner, thanks for replying.

I did do just that. That is when I received the screen that asked for a unlock code, than a new unlock code and to re-enter the new unlock code. I entered the 8 digit code I received from Cingular all three times, the phone accepted the code as far as I know but than gave me a screen that stated "This sim is unable to complete this action" (this was with the Tmobile sim installed, and I am not sure of the exact wording). I have my regular Cingular sim in the phone now as I have not changed or signed up for Tmobile as of yet and don't really want to until I know I can use my MPx200.

Guest pauliewog63

I did do just that. That is when I received the screen that asked for a unlock code, than a new unlock code and to re-enter the new unlock code. I entered the 8 digit code I received from Cingular all three times, the phone accepted the code as far as I know but than gave me a screen that stated "This sim is unable to complete this action" (this was with the Tmobile sim installed, and I am not sure of the exact wording). I have my regular Cingular sim in the phone now as I have not changed or signed up for Tmobile as of yet and don't really want to until I know I can use my MPx200.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ohh one other question to make sure I am clear on this. When you say "boot the phone" you are refering to power on and not a hard reset, correct?

Guest gorcorps

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you haven't signed up yet that very well could be your problem. The sim probably isn't registered on the network yet and might not unlock unless it's a usable sim card.

Guest pauliewog63

Well I will find out. None of the sims worked, and I tried several but I think I have the Cingular sim unlocked but not the phone itself. I will put the new sim in once the TMobile service is active which should be in an hour or so and leave it for a day, if nothing happens than I will have to do a remote unlock for the phone itself.

Thats my guess anyway.

Update: Next Day

ok final note, after all the confusion. I paid for a code from Imei-chk.co.uk and found there was more to getting the phone unlocked than I thought. If you have a MPx200 do yourself a favor. 1. Unless you are a cell engineer go to Imei site and pay the money to get the code. No matter what code the service provider may give you chances are it will not work. Than most important (especially if an ex At&T phone) follow the instructions on the link provided when you pay for the service. 2. Don't do what I did as I am a 22 year veteren with computers and how they work, and try to dig in and do this yourself. Unless like I said you are a cell engineer. It will save you allot of headache.

All in all after getting the right instructions and code I now have my ex Cingular / At&t phone working with Tmobile, which was my goal :o

Edited by pauliewog63