Using our own headphones and still having a mic?

Guest Deano440

Guest Deano440

Is there any way to do this? either with an adaptor like this one> Link or the old bic trick and still have a mic so you can still take calls when they come in while you playing MP3's?? :o

Not sure if this has already been asked and solved but I couldn't find it searching Modaco!!

Ive got one of those adapters and it works beautifully but no mic obviously.

I soldered new headphones onto the headset that came with my device which works perfectly.

Thinking about taking the new headphones back off and soldering a 3.5mm stereo socket above the mic so I can use any headset and still have a mic.

Guest Deano440
Ive got one of those adapters and it works beautifully but no mic obviously.

I soldered new headphones onto the headset that came with my device which works perfectly.

Thinking about taking the new headphones back off and soldering a 3.5mm stereo socket above the mic so I can use any headset and still have a mic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought that was such a good idea I managed to pursuade the girlfriend that we should stop off at Maplin on the way to Tesco to pick up a 3.5mm socket so I now have it but...

I don't know which wire I should solder where!!! :o

I've cut off the head phones, and inside the first wire (not sure if it left or right but I don't think it matters too much) is one red and one gold wire, and in other is one green and one gold wire... but I am unsure which pole on the socket each wire should go to??

anyone have any ideas??, bretto??

The coloured wire is the positive and the gold wire is the earth for each speaker. Left and right.

So basically on the socket you are going to use you need to locate the two posts which will carry your sound to the plug that goes into the socket and solder each of the coloured wires to one of those.

Then solder the earth wires to the "body" which is most likely where there is a provision for the lead to be crimped in place. You do need the earths soldered on as the sound quality and volume are increased significantly.

Hope this makes sense.

Guest Deano440
The coloured wire is the positive and the gold wire is the earth for each speaker. Left and right.

So basically on the socket you are going to use you need to locate the two posts which will carry your sound to the plug that goes into the socket and solder each of the coloured wires to one of those.

Then solder the earth wires to the "body" which is most likely where there is a provision for the lead to be crimped in place. You do need the earths soldered on as the sound quality and volume are increased significantly.

Hope this makes sense.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Bretto!!

I'll go give that a go!! :o