2 MPX200's dead... not fuse... Need ideas

Guest jemmicat

Guest jemmicat

OK... I managed to kill my first phone when I went back in to it to try to find out why the earphone had completely stopped working. Somehow in there, when I put it back together it got REALLY hot and the battery went to zero in a few min... never did figure out what went wrong. Occasionally I can plug it in to charge and will get a blue glow on the outer LCD but that is all... I've tried the leave the battery out thing for a week or more and nothing. Today I went in and jumpered the fuse even though the fuse itself had checked out fine. This did nothing. When I plug the phone in, I'm getting 3.4V across where battery would plug in(1-4)... 3.4 from 1st pin to 2nd pin and 1.8V from 1st pin to 3rd pin. The battery itself was 3.1V across the same 1-4 and one of the references (1-3, I think) had 0 voltage. Anyway, I also popped out the ML614 battery that is on the main board. I measured the voltage of it and it was 2V or so... I just did a search and that battery is supposed to be 3V but appears to also be a bit rechargeable... Anyone ever changed this or any further ideas on how to resurrect the phone?

The second I got I bought prior to killing my first for the case only... It has the exact same problem as the first, though, and it's not the fuse. The ML614 battery on it also reads about 2V. I've tried the leave the battery out thing on it as well with no luck either...

Has anyone successfully resurrected dead phones like this? I mean, they're getting a charge... but for some reason just will not turn on... Anyone have any schematic type troubleshooting tips? I am an engineer but not electrical but have a very good electrical background. I can trace through circuits and troubleshoot if I can just get some initial guidance...

Guest gorcorps

Sounds like problems I've had w/ mp3 players and such in the past. I accidentally charged it w/ the wrong charger and it fried the circuit board and the battery. The battery got really hot and in one situation started to swell.

However I don't know how that could happen /w the mpx200, since it's usb charged and all usb ports/cables give 5v. Have you tested the cable you charged with to make sure it's charging at 5v and not higher? That could be your problem.

Guest jemmicat

I've tried several cables... 5.06V at input... I've tried several computers as well as direct to wall using a USB adapter charger... To me, it seems, that something is still not right.. I am thinking these ML614 batteries, which measure the same voltage and are low, are the issue... will try to find some this evening...

Guest awarner [MVP]

Do you have more than one battery or are you swapping just the one between phones?

It sounds more like the main battery or a connector in the phone has shorted out for some reason.

Could also be related to the headphone problem?

Guest jemmicat

Side note: the ML614 battery is NOT a standard battery readily available at local stores... I made a makeshift drain to take one of the batteries to 0V and then charged phone overnight with no change in operation. Other phone battery is draining now and will try when I get home from work

Guest awarner [MVP]

Fully draining your batteries will kill them!

Li-ion batteries will be damaged if they are fully discharged as they loose capacitance. Once this happens they will be perminantly.

They need to be topped up on a regular basis.

Guest monkeygadge

Is your phone an Mpx200? Or did you make a typo? If it id then I would be willing to buy it from you. I have an old one with a broken connecting strip between the two parts of the phone. I need the spare parts. :o

Or perhaps you would like to buy my Mpx200? If I fixed it I would only sell it anyway.