Turn off & screen lock

Guest Bleem100

Guest Bleem100

HI, new to the forum. I have done a search for this and didn't turn up much - probably due to the basic knowledge needed.

1 - How do I turn the thing off, I have had the SPV M2000 for 3 days now & can't seem to turn it off, the top on/off type button only seems to dim the screen.

2 - Is there a screen lock on it ? Went out the other night with it in my pocket, got it out later and it was on the Orange web site. The internet button had been pressed whilst in my pocket.

Sorry for the basic type questions but apart from these issues its a great device.

HI, new to the forum. I have done a search for this and didn't turn up much - probably due to the basic knowledge needed.

1 - How do I turn the thing off, I have had the SPV M2000 for 3 days now & can't seem to turn it off, the top on/off type button only seems to dim the screen.

No, you can't turn it off. You can, however, put it into a standby mode - you'll still recieve incoming calls, but the screen will be off. Just *press* the power button to do this. Holding it in is what causes the backlight to switch on and off.

2 - Is there a screen lock on it ? Went out the other night with it in my pocket, got it out later and it was on the Orange web site. The internet button had been pressed whilst in my pocket.

There's a way to disable all but the power button while it's in standby mode, this is what I use while it's in the holder. If you tap Start -> Settings, then tap the System tab, and Button Lock, there'll be two options: Lock all buttons except Power Button, or Do not lock buttons. Obviously, choose the former :o Click ok, exit out all the menus... and test it out. *press* the power button, the screen should turn off. Now you can press any button you wish, the only one that'll reactivate the device is the power button.

Remember though, holding the power button for a couple of seconds just turns the backlight on or off. You only need to press it briefly.

Edited by Ceilidh

Guest Wozbacca

is there a fix to stop the device waking up when receiving a txt message?

the number of times i've got my phone out to find tomtom trying to direct me home because its woken up and loaded tom tom when i received a txt!

bloody irritating!

the number of times i've got my phone out to find tomtom trying to direct me home because its woken up and loaded tom tom when i received a txt!

bloody irritating!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately not from what I can tell, you can however disable the radio by tapping the signal strength icon and then tapping "Turn on flight mode". This does however stop you from getting ANYTHING, be it calls, texts, whatever. Just repeat the process to turn it back on.

Guest chucky.egg

I use PicturePassword (£11 inc VAT) which locks the screen and keypad - you unlock it by tapping a specific area of the picture, or by hardware buttons combinations or regular password.

It stops your Today screen and buttons getting reactivated, but still lets you answer incoming calls.

There is also a thread about a Screen Lock application - can't see it now, but look for recent posts by Bretto and you should find it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everyone seems to want to use third-party tools to do this, however I much prefer the built in option, which is set a password. Advantages are:

- auto lock after X minutes

- any thief would need to hard-reset to use the device (your data is safe as it would be erased)

- no accidental dialing etc

- doesn't lock when on mains power (i.e. not in your pocket!)

Suits me just fine! I've got is set on 5 minutes lock at the moment.