Swapping 3G providers

Guest WMF

I'm thinking of geting a HTC Universal (probably the Orange M5000). Does anyone know if you can swap 3G providers after you have got the device? I am probably headed for New Zealand and they have a 3G network there but I don't know if I would be able to use my HTC universal device.

Thanks!

Chris

It would depend on a couple of things. Firstly, is the device sim locked. If you buy from Orange the answer is almost certainly yes. So you'll probably end up having to pay to sim unlock it to any network.

Next problem is compatibility. I don't know what technology the mobile providers in Australia/New Zealand are using. If it's not GSM (as the M5000 is) then the device won't run properly/fully.

I'll be using it on their CDMA network. Is this the same as GSM (I thought GSM was non-3G).

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately GSM and CDMA are incompatible. The 3G part of the Universal operates on UTMS or something like that. Think you'll need to wait for a CDMA/3G device to hit your market (there have been CDMA pocket PC phones, like the Audiovox PPC 5050 a while ago)