WLAN and 802.1x support

Guest paulmadejong

Guest paulmadejong

Here in the Netherlands we only have the T-Mobile MDA Pro so far and since my current Orange subscription is due to end in january I'm thinking about waiting for the Orange M5000. At the moment I have the SPV C500 but the lack of a good calendar makes me buy a PDA. In order not to take to many devices with me around (Ipod, cell. and pda) I'd like to buy the M5000. But before buying it I'd like to now if the Universal has support voor 802.1x networks. Here at Delft, UT we have a nice WLAN coverage but it's protected with 802.1x. The university advises to use the AEGIS client from Meetinghouse but for as for as I could find out they only have a client for PPC 2002 and Windows Mobile 2003. And what about the free SecureW2 util from Alfa & Ariss (www.securew2.com).

I hope you guys can help me out, for me it's a lot of money.

Paul

P.S.

I have the same question for the HTC Wizzard (Orange M3000, T-Mobilie MDA Vario)

Edited by paulmadejong

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm the best person to answer this question. I'm also at the TU Delft and happen to have a MDA Pro (HTC Universal). Imagine the odds : )

My MDA Pro has miserable support for 802.1x networks and VPN. I have tried the AEGIS client and it starts but can't handle the newer hardware (rather, device drivers in Windows Mobile 5) so it logs errors. I have tried the Alfa & Ariss SecureW2 client and while it doesn't throw flagrant errors, it still can't connect. All the settings match, I've memorised our setting and troubleshoot instructions. There is also the Funk Odyssey client which I've had no luck with. Damn proprietary solutions!

The sugguested alternative is to use VPN. I've also configured this perfectly and it fails to connect. My theory is that they're using IPSec port 10000 and group authentication which the Windows Mobile 5 is too light-weight to support. I believe I've also tried other VPN clients with no luck. Overall, Windows Mobile 5 is too new and in all my worldly experience with networking TU Delft has a truely freakish configuration (ie, not intuitive, a discordant collection of authentication solutions aimed at access control).

You'll be pleased to know that I've put in some time confusing our beloved DTO officers. I demonstrated all the failures I'd experienced. I will soon get back to them and the network admin with complaints and see if our next-generation mobiles can't be accommodated.

Regards,

[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, no luck. Nothing works.

The 802.1x clients can't do anything with the HTC Universal's wifi hardware. No scanning, no connecting, nothing.

The only remaining hope is VPN, but the built in client is useless. I'm pretty sure that even 3rd party VPN clients like Movian are also useless, as they don't support group / anonymous outer authentication.

The DTO reps are really busy but I should have a solution within the month. *sigh*

• 9 months later...
Guest paulmadejong
Nope, no luck. Nothing works.

The 802.1x clients can't do anything with the HTC Universal's wifi hardware. No scanning, no connecting, nothing.

The only remaining hope is VPN, but the built in client is useless. I'm pretty sure that even 3rd party VPN clients like Movian are also useless, as they don't support group / anonymous outer authentication.

The DTO reps are really busy but I should have a solution within the month. *sigh*

Hey there,

I know it's been a while but I recently found the following topic at the Gatering of Tweakers Forum (Dutch)

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1091777

Did you have any luck so far with your MDA and the TU Delft? I'll try these settings somewhere this week!