How To De-cert Nextel I930?

Guest kolyan2k

Guest ctitanic
only way wap will work if you have a cert. either way it goes you have to have a cert to do programs or WAP......only way around it is a ROM hack

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are talking about to change the registry. What you are saying is possible but I never have tried anything like that.

Guest r0bm2000
We are talking about to change the registry. What you are saying is possible but I never have tried anything like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's put it like this, your not going to be able to change the reg files due to when you reboot the phone it changes back to default reg settings, your not going to be able to do it the WAP way due to you still would need a digital signed cert. but then that has to come along with a PVK (their private key) so the only way you can do it is like the rest of some of these people on this site and spv dev site is by dumping the ROM it self and making the changes within the OS FOLDER then compile the rom back then flash it back to the phone.

Guest ctitanic
Let's put it like this, your not going to be able to change the reg files due to when you reboot the phone it changes back to default reg settings, your not going to be able to do it the WAP way due to you still would need a digital signed cert. but then that has to come along with a PVK (their private key) so the only way you can do it is like the rest of some of these people on this site and spv dev site is by dumping the ROM it self and making the changes within the OS FOLDER then compile the rom back then flash it back to the phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes, like I said, you can do that but I really never have done it. Keep in mind that the ROM has been customized by each service provider so if you try to apply a ROM prepared by Nextel to any other i930 you may run into connectivities problems.

Guest r0bm2000
yes, like I said, you can do that but I really never have done it. Keep in mind that the ROM has been customized by each service provider so if you try to apply a ROM prepared by Nextel to any other i930 you may run into connectivities problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See here goes the thing, If some were here or at spv was able to tell me how to back up the ROM the right and IF i sent them the image to check it and see what i would have to apply to it and flash it back to the phone that would be a really big help for us i930 users right now.

Guest ctitanic
See here goes the thing, If some were here or at spv was able to tell me how to back up the ROM the right and IF i sent them the image to check it and see what i would have to apply to it and flash it back to the phone that would be a really big help for us i930 users right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, that's the point. I know tools to do that in a Pocket PC but not in a SP. I'm more PPC guy than a SP guy. ;)

Guest r0bm2000
well, that's the point. I know tools to do that in a Pocket PC but not in a SP. I'm more PPC guy than a SP guy. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well lets hope and see other SPV people are picking up on this and want to give us a hand. Alot of people here are doing it among other sites like "spv-dev" them people over there are also doing ROM customizing and exchanging roms to be installed on the phone whitch is beyond what we are trying to do but i figure if they can do that then surely they can do this simple task.

Guest robjective

I'm working the social engineering angle for the decert patch. This is the location of the petition, please sign it!!!

Old Petition Link

There is another petition started before mine. If you signed mine above, please sign this one BELOW, and share the link BELOW with any other i930 owners you know

OFFICIAL Petition (USE THIS ONE)

Edited by robjective

We posted the following on the developer.nextel.com site (requires a lot of hoop-jumping to get authorized -- for little value) on 2 NOV. So far, no response.

=================================================

Sirs,

There is absolutely zero information regarding the i930 on developer.nextel.com site. Since the i930 is a Windows Smartphone, we're particularly interested in determining how we can obtaining a signing certificate to sign our Smartphone applications to operate on the i930.

At present, we have several in-house-developed applications that we use on a variety of Windows Mobile Smartphones. Our inability to install them on the i930 is clearly a barrier to migrating en-masse to the i930.

I have asked this question of anyone that will listen at Sprint Nextel, but have yet to receive a response. If Sprint Nextel has no interest in our business -- or in responding -- then I'm fairly confident Cingular would be all too happy to have us outfit all 1500 staff-members with the Audiovox SMT5600 -- a Smartphone that is *not* application locked.

The push-to-talk feature is a nice-to-have, and would push our decision in favor of Sprint Nextel. However, we must be able to install our own applications on the device.

I await your response.

Guest XETechnologies

Yes we spend $400+ on this phone and we should be able to install what we want on it when we want too. So has any of you thought about getting a group of you and going and contacting a Lawyer about filing a Class Action Lawsuit? Bet that would teach Nextel and get their hands out of their asses and decert our phones real quick..

Guest Toasted Logic

CTitanic & anyone else who thinks they can help crack this phone -

If there's anything we, the 930 users, can do to help you unlock the registry for editing and eventually decertification - we'll do it.

I wonder, have any smartphones before this one had their HKLM/security/policies registry keys locked down? If so how, was the phone eventually unlocked? It seems to me that the only hope for this phone is to flash it with a new ROM image.

The problem is that i930 users are reporting the phone won't accept modified versions of the original ROM - it asks for a rom with a priveleged certificate. Anyone out there have one of these certificates? I know, you probably have to work for Motorola or Nextel to have one.. worth asking though, no? :-P

Another work-around might be to develop an application that signs wm2003 apps with certificates that the phone allows.

Anyone have any thoughts on where to go from here? Cheers to all.

Guest dervenez

This has been posted elsewhere, but maybe you guys can figure it out. Attached are some certificates. Some are expired. There are two that aren't. If you run the program called signcode.exe it brings you through the signing wizard. I've tried many combinations, but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for or what exactly I need to do. Sa1 algoritom or md5? Do I want all code signed or not. Take a look.

Tools.zip

Guest ctitanic
This has been posted elsewhere, but maybe you guys can figure it out.  Attached are some certificates.  Some are expired.  There are two that aren't.  If you run the program called signcode.exe it brings you through the signing wizard.  I've tried many combinations, but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for or what exactly I need to do. Sa1 algoritom or md5?  Do I want all code signed or not.  Take a look.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you been able to install any of this certificates in your i930? That's the first thing to do and to know.

Guest ctitanic
to be more exact, are you able to install this certificate from that file

idenupdate.motorola.com.cer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, this certificate expired in January 2005 so we wont be able to do anything with it. But basically, that was what we needed to unlock the phone. :oops:

Guest Toasted Logic
Ok, this certificate expired in January 2005 so we wont be able to do anything with it. But basically, that was what we needed to unlock the phone.  :oops:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DOH! Any chance that setting the phone's date back to 2004 would work?

Guest ctitanic
DOH! Any chance that setting the phone's date back to 2004 would work?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can try. Just let me know what are the results. I do not have a i930 (and of course I do not plan to buy one, at least from Nextel).

Guest dervenez
You can try. Just let me know what are the results. I do not have a i930 (and of course I do not plan to buy one, at least from Nextel).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I have no experience with certificates, how do you install them? Do I just copy it to my SD card and run it?

Guest j2chulo

i got different error when try to install it i get Security permission was insufficient to update your device. any idea if they is a way to get all the permision or it also has to do with the app block?

I copied it to the storage card, and selsected it, but I get a message that says Cannot access certificate.  Any Idea's?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Toasted Logic

The i930 will not allow us to change the year. As soon as you save the new value it is reset to 2005. Does this sound like it is locked by the registry? Or is it synching with our carrier?

I had a beta unit of the 930 and it was fully app unlocked, and I was able to change the date to anything I wanted.

Guest ctitanic
The i930 will not allow us to change the year. As soon as you save the new value it is reset to 2005. Does this sound like it is locked by the registry? Or is it synching with our carrier?

I had a beta unit of the 930 and it was fully app unlocked, and I was able to change the date to anything I wanted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's sync with your carrier.

Guest Toasted Logic
It's sync with your carrier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you think there is a registry entry that can disable the clock from synching with Nextel? I imagine it would be under /HKLM/... I bet that whole hive is locked from registry editing.... :evil: