C550, Attachments And Pocket Word Etc

Guest ChrisCornwall

Guest ChrisCornwall

Hello there, my first post :o I am thinking of buying a C550 due to the Email features and Outlook synchronisation in general. I was wondering how it copes with attachments, say Word documents, or Excel spreadsheets? Does it feature Pocket Word, Pocket Excel etc, or some other file viewer?

Following on from this, the C600 (out this month according to the guy in my local phone shop) which has Windows Mobile 2005, will that have Pocket Word, Pocket Excel etc? The Windows Mobile 2005 web site makes it sound like it does (view the flash demo), so it it worth me waiting for that?

Guest ChrisCornwall

Thanks. Tbh, I'm finding the whole Windows Mobile thing very confusing. The MS site lists all sorts of features and applications (like Pocket Word etc), how do I know what has been cut out of the SPV version? I was hoping that a Windows Mobile phone would be like having a phone/PDA/windows hybrid device, but it seems to be more cut down than that. Ideally I'd love to have Pocket Word and so on in the phone, it would make remote email really useful. I'm sorry if I'm appearing dim, the Orange website for the C550 is very sparse when it comes to information, and reviews I've read don't seem to talk about the featured applications, instead talking about the camera and battery life etc. Any advice? Will the Windows Mobile 2005 version (i.e.e C600) actually have these features?

Guest Matt Kirby

Generally there are two types of devices:

Phone with PDA functions:

Both the C550 and C600 are one of these. It's a phone first, with PDA bits added. On this type of device you won't get things like Pocket Word (although file viewers are available as mentioned above). They generally have a full phone keypad, and no touch screen.

PDA with a Phone added:

Examples of this (on Orange) are the M500, M2000 and M5000. See here. PDA first, with a phone bolted on. This type of device will have Pocket Word. They generally have touch screens opperated by a stylus, and if they have a keypad it will probably be closer to QWERTY than a phone keypad.

Orange seem to prefix Phone device names with "C", and PDA device names with "M".

Hope that clears things up!

Edited by Matt Kirby

Guest ChrisCornwall

Thanks Matt that's cleared things up... I expect I will be able to get away with the smartphone version, the clearvue app means I will be able to view attachments and editing documents on a handheld device is always going to be fiddly. Having said that, I'll go and have a look at the M devices to see what they offer.

Thanks again.