XDA Exec

Guest SkUk21

hi guys

Just got my XDA Exec and it is gorgeous! the size and feel and solidity of the device is breath taking!

a quick question can it be unlocked to other networks?

please advise if there is a way!

cheers

Edited by SkUk21

Guest Pondrew

Don't think there is a way yet although hopefully someone will be able to let u know otherwise...

If not then it surely won't be long until www.imei-check.com adds support or until one of the free unlock tools catch up (always wary though in case they kill it!)

Guest pikelet

Out of interest, can you get the 'phone pad' method of data entry to work? Each time I try to select that, it defaults back to using the onscreen keyboard. It's quite annoying.

yeah it seems to be ok. one thing I was dissapointed with was that there was no bundled memory card what so ever. is this the case with all variants of the universal???????

sorry another q. I'm having problems with windows media player whereby I cannot display in full screen. when maximising only a small section of the middle of the screen is showing the video. I've fiddled around with the settings without any luck. also the option of mapping a network drive seems to be missing. any ideas? cheers

Guest davidjtaylor
Don't think there is a way yet although hopefully someone will be able to let u know otherwise...

If not then it surely won't be long until www.imei-check.com adds support or until one of the free unlock tools catch up (always wary though in case they kill it!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dont know if anyones aware that there seems to be talk on other forums about the o2 exec being unlocked on delivery, dont know if this is true but when i went to an o2 shop a while ago one one the sales staff tried my orange sim in in one of their xda2s and it worked!

d ;)

Edited by davidjtaylor

Guest pikelet
sorry another q. I'm having problems with windows media player whereby I cannot display in full screen. when maximising only a small section of the middle of the screen is showing the video. I've fiddled around with the settings without any luck. also the option of mapping a network drive seems to be missing. any ideas? cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No idea about mapping network drives, as don't really have a use for it. But the Media Player bug is there in mine too. I've read threads here and there about how the i-mate JasJar ROM has this bug in it too - presumably this isn't something the Exec suffers alone.

And I still can't get the 'Phone Pad' to appear onscreen.

You watch. Orange will have released late because they've sorted all these problems. Betcha.

Guest Pondrew

Hey all.

Windows Media Player 10 not displaying in full screen is a resolution issue/bug. The XDA Exec is of course VGA (higher res then the vids were encoded for). Unfortunately WMP10 doesn't seem to be able to stretch videos coded for a lower resolution, instead displaying them with a black border. This despite having an option to stretch to fit full screen!

It's not the Universal so much as every WMP10 device (all my WMP10 devices do it if the vids not encoded at the correct res). There is a tweak program that resolves this but don't know if it will work on WM5.

Finally, T-Mobile seem to be supplying a 512meg mini-sd with adapter with all their MDA Pros (although I have no idea why!)

Laters,

Pondrew

my phone pad input comes and goes... had it working yesterday but it wont come back today ;) this is very annoying as it is very useful when it comes to one handed operation. anyone found any fix for this?

it would appear that this bug is on the jasjar or mda but not on the xda as the phone pad works perfectly.

with regards to memory cards what is provided with the jasjar?

and finally if we were to use a third party application such as pvplayer would the full screen function work? anyone tried?????

also anyone tried mapping a network drive using wifi?

i have the xda exec and the problem occurs on it. its working again now... dunno why...

third party apps should work as long as they are built for the larger screen. pocket informant beta is working well so far. wow that text is tiny!

Guest pikelet
i have the xda exec and the problem occurs on it. its working again now... dunno why...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did a hard reset and selected the 'corporate' install - the one where none of the additional O2 guff gets installed. The PIN number to do this is 0506.

The XDA Exec runs appreciably faster without the O2 Active software, most obviously when rotating the screen. Phone pad input now also works without a hitch every time.

If anyone can give me an excellent reason for going back and using the O2 active software, I'll think about it. Otherwise, I'm sticking with my vanilla install.

Guest Pondrew
I did a hard reset and selected the 'corporate' install - the one where none of the additional O2 guff gets installed. The PIN number to do this is 0506.

The XDA Exec runs appreciably faster without the O2 Active software, most obviously when rotating the screen. Phone pad input now also works without a hitch every time.

If anyone can give me an excellent reason for going back and using the O2 active software, I'll think about it. Otherwise, I'm sticking with my vanilla install.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Must admit I'd heard very little good about O2 active running on Pocket PC Phones. Seems to cause too many locks up and slow down.

Guest dimes2009

hi

i havent yet got my xda exec but im due for a upgrade soon. what i wanted to know has anyone tried to play pocket pc games and what keys did they use to play the game as the xda exec only has a 5 way nav key. if you guys need any games i can send you some by email to try.

another thing i have an xda 2s at the moment but my msn messenger is not working it comes with an error message saying '' currently unavailable so sign in....''.

Edited by dimes2009

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm trying to do the same - but after I enter the PIN I just get a dialogue titled "Active Setup" that says Welcome Corporate User O2 Active won't be installed.

The OK button on the dialogue keeps flickering and it won't accept any input. Did you see the same behaviour? If so how long did it go on for?

Guest 73bugcab

Would like to know how to reset without all the O2 guff as my exec is excruciatingly slow. I have been using spvm2000 which has far better responses from a slower chip. I have been using a video and music player which works well, beta player.

if you go to the start up folder via activesync, you can delete the o2 files (not the connection settings but the rest of it) in startup - this well get rid of the o2 customised screen which shows up and will be replaced with the more conventional pocket pc screen!

i noticed it speeds things up

Guest 73bugcab

Wow what a difference.. This has just become the phone I wanted it to be. Ditch the O2 install (via the corporate 0506) and it works the way it should. Top tip thanks. ;)

Guest flurfball

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was having the problem with the disappearing Phone pad as well. I've now finally figured out why it keeps disappearing. It's not the O2 Active Software (though that is a pile of poo that needs to be deleted immediately) but it occurs when you End Task the Phone app. I can now replicate this bug consistently, you'll need to do a soft reset to get it back. And what a stupid bug it is.

This is the first time I've used a PPC device, is it normal for apps not to close down when you switch over to some other app?

So far I'm not impressed, but I'm switching from a Treo, so used to Palm's way of doing things. Hopefully, I can beat this version of Windows into submission just like the umpteen other desktop versions I've suffered through the years.

Edited by flurfball

I was having the problem with the disappearing Phone pad as well.  I've now finally figured out why it keeps disappearing.  It's not the O2 Active Software (though that is a pile of poo that needs to be deleted immediately) but it occurs when you End Task the Phone app.  I can now replicate this bug consistently, you'll need to do a soft reset to get it back.  And what a stupid bug it is.

This is the first time I've used a PPC device, is it normal for apps not to close down when you switch over to some other app?

So far I'm not impressed, but I'm switching from a Treo, so used to Palm's way of doing things.  Hopefully, I can beat this version of Windows into submission just like the umpteen other desktop versions I've suffered through the years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd be interested to get your opinon on which is the better all around smartphone, the Treo or the Exec.

Guest flurfball
I'd be interested to get your opinon on which is the better all around smartphone, the Treo or the Exec.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dropped my XDA today and broke the screen - wahhhhh!

I dropped my Treo lots of times and it never broke.

So, facetiously, I guess I would say the Treo wins.

Seriously though, I haven't had the XDA long enough to do a serious comparison.

What I can say are what I do and don't like about the 2 devices...

XDA likes:

o The screen - very nice, bright and legible.

o Speakerphone is better than the Treo.

o Bluetooth Active synch.

Dislikes:

o Sluggish - though it got a lot better after removing the O2 software. Don't know how much it would slow down with more software. But given this is a Microsoft product I expect some to a lot. It seems to follow the usual Microsoft way of slowing down as the OS number goes up. It did surprise me how slow it was even with a 520MHz processor.

o Doesn't seem to be readily backwards compatible with previous OS versions of software. Only tried Skype so this may just be a one off.

o I thought I could live with the size of this device, but the more I think about it the less keen I am on the size. If they could have shaved off a centimetre in height it might have helped. There's definitely room enough to do it.

o Buttons ALL over the place. You just end up hitting one of them whenever you touch the bugger. Also, trying to place it on a mount in the car was prone to set it off and then it stopped me from answering calls because buttons were being held down. You need to get a lengthwise mount or use a bluetooh headset)

o The software feels buggy, I had to reset the phone a lot over the last 2 weeks. Though a lot of that was down to the Phone app bug.

o Not robust.

Treo likes:

o The keyboard (surprisingly, even though the Treo has a smaller keyboard I can type much quicker with it. Less movement required and the domed keys make it easier, probably. But that could just be because I'm used to it. I also don't have hulking hands, more average to small size)

o Speed of operation - feels very snappy.

o Access to functions via the Dpad is much faster and you can use it without the stylus better than the XDA.

o Prefer the built in organiser, feels more intuitive and MUCH faster to respond and has better a display summary of appointments.

o Everything is very quick to access. I thought I'd like the clamshell design of the XDA more as it protects the screen (HA!!) but it adds a higher element of fiddliness to it.

o Seems to work with most every piece of Palm software ever written from the year dot.

o Easily silence the device with a physical button

o Lasts quite a long time between charges. But that's because I rarely use the phone. If I switch the phone off at night I can go a week without charging it up.

o Robust!

Treo dislikes:

o No wi-fi, but generally I don't use the Internet on the move. And the fact that Palm refused to add it in whilst PPC machines have had it for ages. I want the OPTION.

o Unless you splash out for a sim free one it's locked to Orange, who are the only supplier. I did manage to unlock mine with some software a year into owning the device though. Not sure what the status is on the Treo 650 for unlocking software.

o There doesn't seem to be much progression on the Palm OS, technologically. Still no true pre-emptive multi-tasking. But then again it runs fast on what it has. The only application I ever needed more processing power was on a Database application, HanDbase 3.

o Screen size is a tad smaller than I like. But the 650 res maybe enough for me.

o Doesn't have a normal USB port for connection to the PC.

o I think my phone has developed a fault. People calling have said that sometimes there's a loud buzzing sound. It tends to happen when the charge is low. But I suspect it's probably due to the number of times I've dropped it...

o Doesn't have a proper 3.5mm jack. But I don't listen to music with it since I drive to work. I do have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack though.

o Wish it were a clamshell a small one, not like the XDA.

Having written all that I think I do prefer my Treo, which has made me feel better about breaking the XDA, a little...BUT and this is a big but I have now had the Treo for 2 years (longest I've ever had a phone) so I'm very used to it in every way.

The XDA I can see as being a passable Laptop replacement. But I should have remembered that I hardly ever used my old Psion 5MX, that was partially down to the size and also the horrible screen.

But it also depends on what you use it for and how complex you want the device to be. If you don't want it to be as complicated as either the Treo or XDA to use you might be better off with a Blackberry if you think it's mainly going to be emailing that you want a smartphone for.

Also, note that Sony/Ericsson are bringing out the 990 at the beginning of next year so you might want to hold off for the reviews on that before plunking your money down.

I'd love to see a Linux based Smartphone in a Treo form factor. Maybe we might see that soon enough now that Palm have dipped their toes into the Open Source arena.

Now here's crossed fingers that the home insurance option for accidental damage will apply in my case...

Guest ballybee

I have managed to get rid of the buggy O2 software, without doing the hard reset. I opened Programs>Install type>coporate install>0506 then accepted the info box twice. All the O2 extra stuff disappeared, I could also use my own pictures as the desktop wallpaper (I like to have a picture of my baby daughter) this did not work with the O2 software running. Refresh times are better and everything seams to work better. Benefit of this is that I did not need to re-set up the phone again.

I too can confirm that my O2 Exec is supplied unlocked, I have tested my Orange sim and all works well!!

don't know whether this will be useful to others. Its worth a try anyway before the hard reset to corporate install!

I dropped my XDA today and broke the screen - wahhhhh!

I dropped my Treo lots of times and it never broke.

So, facetiously, I guess I would say the Treo wins.

Seriously though, I haven't had the XDA long enough to do a serious comparison.

What I can say are what I do and don't like about the 2 devices...

XDA likes:

o The screen - very nice, bright and legible.

o Speakerphone is better than the Treo.

o Bluetooth Active synch.

Dislikes:

o Sluggish - though it got a lot better after removing the O2 software.  Don't know how much it would slow down with more software.  But given this is a Microsoft product I expect some to a lot.  It seems to follow the usual Microsoft way of slowing down as the OS number goes up.  It did surprise me how slow it was even with a 520MHz processor.

o Doesn't seem to be readily backwards compatible with previous OS versions of software.  Only tried Skype so this may just be a one off.

o I thought I could live with the size of this device, but the more I think about it the less keen I am on the size.  If they could have shaved off a centimetre in height it might have helped.  There's definitely room enough to do it.

o Buttons ALL over the place.  You just end up hitting one of them whenever you touch the bugger.  Also, trying to place it on a mount in the car was prone to set it off and then it stopped me from answering calls because buttons were being held down.  You need to get a lengthwise mount or use a bluetooh headset)

o The software feels buggy, I had to reset the phone a lot over the last 2 weeks.  Though a lot of that was down to the Phone app bug.

o Not robust.

Treo likes:

o The keyboard (surprisingly, even though the Treo has a smaller keyboard I can type much quicker with it.  Less movement required and the domed keys make it easier, probably.  But that could just be because I'm used to it.  I also don't have hulking hands, more average to small size)

o Speed of operation - feels very snappy.

o Access to functions via the Dpad is much faster and you can use it without the stylus better than the XDA.

o Prefer the built in organiser, feels more intuitive and MUCH faster to respond and has better a display summary of appointments.

o Everything is very quick to access.  I thought I'd like the clamshell design of the XDA more as it protects the screen (HA!!) but it adds a higher element of fiddliness to it.

o Seems to work with most every piece of Palm software ever written from the year dot.

o Easily silence the device with a physical button

o Lasts quite a long time between charges.  But that's because I rarely use the phone.  If I switch the phone off at night I can go a week without charging it up.

o Robust!

Treo dislikes:

o No wi-fi, but generally I don't use the Internet on the move.  And the fact that Palm refused to add it in whilst PPC machines have had it for ages.  I want the OPTION.

o Unless you splash out for a sim free one it's locked to Orange, who are the only supplier.  I did manage to unlock mine with some software a year into owning the device though.  Not sure what the status is on the Treo 650 for unlocking software.

o There doesn't seem to be much progression on the Palm OS, technologically.  Still no true pre-emptive multi-tasking.  But then again it runs fast on what it has.  The only application I ever needed more processing power was on a Database application, HanDbase 3.

o Screen size is a tad smaller than I like.  But the 650 res maybe enough for me.

o Doesn't have a normal USB port for connection to the PC.

o I think my phone has developed a fault.  People calling have said that sometimes there's a loud buzzing sound.  It tends to happen when the charge is low.  But I suspect it's probably due to the number of times I've dropped it...

o Doesn't have a proper 3.5mm jack.  But I don't listen to music with it since I drive to work.  I do have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack though.

o Wish it were a clamshell a small one, not like the XDA.

Having written all that I think I do prefer my Treo, which has made me feel better about breaking the XDA, a little...BUT and this is a big but I have now had the Treo for 2 years (longest I've ever had a phone) so I'm very used to it in every way.

The XDA I can see as being a passable Laptop replacement.  But I should have remembered that I hardly ever used my old Psion 5MX, that was partially down to the size and also the horrible screen.

But it also depends on what you use it for and how complex you want the device to be.  If you don't want it to be as complicated as either the Treo or XDA to use you might be better off with a Blackberry if you think it's mainly going to be emailing that you want a smartphone for.

Also, note that Sony/Ericsson are bringing out the 990 at the beginning of next year so you might want to hold off for the reviews on that before plunking your money down.

I'd love to see a Linux based Smartphone in a Treo form factor.  Maybe we might see that soon enough now that Palm have dipped their toes into the Open Source arena.

Now here's crossed fingers that the home insurance option for accidental damage will apply in my case...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the interesting analysis.

I have been using a C500 for the last year after being a long time Palm user. The C500 has never given me a problem but I have never been able to shake off the feeling that it just isn't quite as "solid" as a Nokia phone or a Palm PDA. I also get significantly worse voice call reception than I get with my old Nokia 6810.

Now the C500 buttons are starting to wear out and I am looking for an alternative. I tried the Exec but took it back after a week as it is just too big for me! I've also tried a Jam in the past but that was way too fiddly to use as a main phone, specially when driving.

I'm thinking now about trying out a Treo, a Nokia 9300, or waiting for the new Nokia E70.