Shutdown PC from PPC

Guest mavisdavis

Guest mavisdavis

I'm after an application that can shut down my pc from my PPC via GPRS. I know we had one for our SPV Classics but Ive been looking all nght for one that runs from my PPC.

If anybody can help I'd be very grateful ;)

Cheers guys

Don't know one off the top of my head, but you can use VNC to take full control of your PC. The display is sent back to the device. If you have a keyboard on your PPC, this is killer.

If anyone ever needs to do wake-on-lan, check out "vxUtil".

Guest mavisdavis

I couldnt get VNC to work on my smartphone so I havent bothered with it on the PPC. All I need to do is shutdown the pc nothing else.

Does anybody have the smartphone version??? I could try that

I couldnt get VNC to work on my smartphone so I havent bothered with it on the PPC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neither could I when I tried it! My SPV simply wasn't up to the task and GPRS was useless for it, too slow. On the PPC it's great though.

Guest funkmaster

Back in the day I made a script that worked with a simple exe that sat ont he pc...

Ill have a look through all my old posts see if i can pull it up..

Guest mavisdavis

Cheers Funkmaster. Will that is what I've been looking for but will it work on the PPC?

TECH giz a shout on MSN if your serious about making one;)

Guest mavisdavis

@ Paul

My wifes mate goes on my pc when I'm at work and starts d/loading music and all sorts of crap. so I've told my missus to text me when she's on and I can shut down my pc from work. you see she can be little bit of pain in the ass.She deletes stuff and moves things around. Even tho I have a password no my login my wife tells her what it is.

Funkmaster it works if its plugged into activesync but refuses to load the page when Im not plugged in ;) not to sure why???

My wifes mate goes on my pc when I'm at work and starts d/loading music and all sorts of crap. so I've told my missus to text me when she's on and I can shut down my pc from work. you see she can be little bit of pain in the ass.She deletes stuff and moves things around. Even tho I have a password no my login my wife tells her what it is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wouldn't the solution not be to tell your wife to keep her friend off your PC? ;) Or give your wife a non-admin account that her pal can use?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rhaleuk
Wouldn't the solution not be to tell your wife to keep her friend off your PC?  :)  Or give your wife a non-admin account that her pal can use?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know SailingClicker lets you shut down your PC remotely. It can use bluetooth or wifi... (local) but there are TCP/IP setting in there so you might be able to tunnel it somehow. That would be ace actually!

Guest tsutton
She deletes stuff and moves things around. Even tho I have a password no my login my wife tells her what it is.

Make things easier - change the password and don't tell her the password.

Shutting down the PC won't make any difference, she will power it up - waste of time.

Guest DancingMatt

Not if you can also bring up some kind of "terrifying" dialog box, or dummy webpage you've created, that makes it look as though *she" has downloaded the world's most disasterous virus... Maybe she'll back away and never use it again.

Scare her into never doing it again and have a bit of a chuckle to yourself at the same time. "Oh did anything happen to my PC" - "no no no, not me, no.... etc"

Mind you plans like this only seem to work in soap operas.

• 1 month later...
Guest nullomodo

I agree the best solution would either be to a) not give your wife the password to your comp if she can't be trusted to keep it private (heck knows I don't let my gf know mine... but I guess with a wife it might be different), or ;) just set up a limited access acount for the friend as suggested above.

I could make a quick program to do this!

my WMP Remote pretty much communicates with the Smartphone/PPC device and the PC so issuing a command from the PPC/smartphone to the PC to shutdown the computer would be easy as pie ;)

Guest mavisdavis
I could make a quick program to do this!

my WMP Remote pretty much communicates with the Smartphone/PPC device and the PC so issuing a command from the PPC/smartphone to the PC to shutdown the computer would be easy as pie ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats great Tech but will it work over GPRS so I can close it down from work?

I'm running my Broadband through a router so will my IP address be the same? Im clueless about wireless routers and such.

Sorry for my ignorance :oops:

And if I dont tell her my password she'll think o

I'm having an affair :D

of course it will work over GPRS, assuming the port is opened on the router.

as for the IP Address - that all depends on the broadband internet - the ISP.

it also depends if the router issues the same IP Address on the computer as for every reboot you do - when the computer requests for an IP Address from DHCP (on the router, or Windows Server DNS/DHCP) it is up to the DHCP to send the IP Address, of its choice from a pool of IP Addresses.

some router have the option to "reserve" a specific IP Address for a specific computer name, see if your router has this, if it does then cool, you do not need to worry about the internal IP Address issues.

The best thing to do to "resolve" the cable IP Address is -

get yourself a free no-ip or dyndns domain name

some routers have the ability to automatically update the domain to point to the cable broadband IP Address - this means you do not need to worry about the IP Address changing as the domain will be automatically updated by the router.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sonicr360

Hmmmm I cannot help thinking that by the time this is all done, it may have been easier to go home and turn it off yourself ;)

Create a locked down account using policies on the local machine if you have to! Remember you have security permissions to lock down access for read / write, ect!

Thinking about it from a logical and speedy approach, and therefore still allowing them to use the PC.

Or, use a NET SEND message in a cmd script to send out a warning message that an Virus detected!

Simon

• 9 months later...
Guest Second Hand Hero

as said, set up a locked down one, and you use that aswell so ur wife doesnt think ur hiding stuff from here, then use the runas command if u wana do sumin administrative....