Pink is the new black... The MDA Compact II

Guest Fleabag

Guest Fleabag

Dispelling the rumours around the net that the MDA Compact II will not be a HTC device, I can reveal the MDA Compact II is basically... The MDA Compact - in pink!

T-Mobile UK have a treat for the ladies it seems... But there's no new of a grey version, or any other colour in fact. With a few tweaks on the MDA Compact, including expanded memory this may be of use to the application junkies out there. Here are a few of the specs...

Microsoft Windows Mobile version 5 with pocket versions of IE, Word, Excel, Media

Player 10 & Outlook.

Intel PXA272 416 Mhz processor.

128MB ROM & 64 MB SD RAM + External MMC/SDIO.

1.3 megapixel camera with 2 x zoom.

GPRS - Multi Slot Class 10 [no 3G unlike the MDA Vario].

2.8 inch 320 x 240 pixe QVGAl, 65k colour, touch screen.

Bluetooth, IrDa, MMC/SDIO and serial interface.

Java - MIDP v2.0.

Triband.

No release date as of yet, but I shouldn't imagine it will be too long.

post-154123-1129837031_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fleabag

Guest Fleabag
It's not 1 April is it???? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not last time I checked... Unless I've been in a coma; I was pretty wasted last night.

Nah seriously, it's genuine. I was as surprised as I expect you are.

Guest Fleabag
,Oct 20 2005, 20:53]Hmmm, looks a bit Photoshoppy to me... T-Mobile link?

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It may well be photochopped [i don't think it is anyway... if it is the case I'm guessing they don't have any photographs of it yet]... There isn't a link unfortunitely, I didn't get this from the net.

If you feel it's not genuine I'd understand why you wouldn't want it on the home page. Just move it to somewhere else until it's announced. ;)

Edited by Fleabag

Guest Pondrew
...until it's announced. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why do I doubt that'll ever happen... :?:

EDIT: And I've just noticed the spec mentions that it isn't 3G unlike the MDA Vario (common name as yet unconfirmed for the T-Mobile branded HTC Wizard). Great but the HTC Wizard has NEVER been suggested to have 3G!

Guest Fleabag
Why do I doubt that'll ever happen...  :?:

EDIT: And I've just noticed the spec mentions that it isn't 3G unlike the MDA Vario (common name as yet unconfirmed for the T-Mobile branded HTC Wizard). Great but the HTC Wizard has NEVER been suggested to have 3G!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Info is direct from the T-Mobile intranet. MDA Vario is the official name, pop into your local T-Mobile store and pick up an instore brochure [or call 150 and order one] - you'll see it right there. I was surprised by the 3G on the Vario also - but according to the specs listed by the company themselves it does. Could be a mistake though... It wouldn't be the first time.

Have you not noticed the i-Mate JAM 2 on www.imate.com...? In a nasty black colour - which can easily be replaced by the pink.

The MDA Vario IS the i-Mate K-Jam listed on the very same site.

Mark my words. ;)

Edited by Fleabag

Guest Pondrew
Info is direct from the T-Mobile intranet. MDA Vario is the official name, pop into your local T-Mobile store and pick up an instore brochure [or call 150 and order one] - you'll see it right there. I was surprised by the 3G on the Vario also - but according to the specs listed by the company themselves it does. Could be a mistake though... It wouldn't be the first time.

Have you not noticed the i-Mate JAM 2 on www.imate.com...? In a nasty black colour - which can easily be replaced by the pink.

The MDA Vario IS the i-Mate K-Jam listed on the very same site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Much of what you say is true. But your posted spec is at best unlikely, at worse flawed, and not just because it is saying the Vario is 3G. Your spec lists 128meg ROM for this MDA Compact II. This would be contrary to the device you call the Jam 2 (not the product name Imate themselves use by the way?!?). The Imate New Jam has 128meg RAM not 128meg ROM.

Finally, don't get me wrong, it'd be great if you were correct, especially as a Magician with 128meg ROM would be well placed to run Windows Mobile 5 with its new memory configuration. But this device would be unique among all the other Magicians, and not just because of the AWFUL colour chosen! ;)

Guest Fleabag
Much of what you say is true. But your posted spec is flawed, and not just by saying the Vario is 3G (which it isn't assuming we are talking about the HTC Wizard). Your spec lists 128meg ROM for this Compact II. This would be contrary to the device you call the Jam 2 (not the product name Imate themselves use by the way?!?). The Imate New Jam has 128meg RAM not 128meg ROM.

Finally, don't get me wrong, it'd be great if you were correct, especially as a Magician with 128meg ROM would be well placed to run Windows Mobile 5 with its new memory configuration. But this device would be unique among all the other Magicians, and not just because of the AWFUL colour chosen!  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree as far as the colour goes!

But as I say, the info is from the intranet. There's of course a possibility it's wrong, quote an oversight on T-Mobile's part if it does. But afterall, this is not public facing information! We'll have to wait and see.

You are correct as to the i-Mate JAM 2, I got ahead of myself there lol... It is in fact called the 'New' version.

Edited by Fleabag

Guest Pondrew

Just done some research and seems the MDA Compact II may well be coming from T-Mobile BUT the vast majority are suggesting it to be the HTC Athena (also known by some as HTC Prophet and already anticipated as the forthcoming O2 XDA Atom). I've checked your spec and the RAM/ROM configuration, and even the processor speed match the Athena exactly.

Guess time will tell.

Guest Fleabag
Just done some research and seems the MDA Compact II may well be coming from T-Mobile BUT the vast majority are suggesting it to be the HTC Athena (also known by some as HTC Prophet and already anticipated as the forthcoming O2 XDA Atom). I've checked your spec and the RAM/ROM configuration, and even the processor speed match the Athena exactly.

Guess time will tell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This stuff is the bread and butter of my job, the info comes in direct, pretty much as soon as it's decided. For example, did you know that the MDA Compact is soon to support push email [like a Blackberry], as will the MDA Pro. ;)

The MDA Compact 2 is definitely a variation of the i-Mate JAM. If it isn't, I'll publically eat my hat. :D

Edited by Fleabag

Guest Pondrew
This stuff is the bread and butter of my job, the info comes in direct, pretty much as soon as it's decided. For example, did you know that the MDA Compact is soon to support push email [like a Blackberry], as will the MDA Pro. ;)

The MDA Compact 2 is definitely a variation of the i-Mate JAM. If it isn't, I'll publically eat my hat. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guess u could always add salt and pepper to make it more paletable :D

Well aware of T-Mobile Blackberry. It's been supported on the MDA III for ages. I installed the rom update that included from T-Mobile that included the software support on my MDA III long ago. Didn't see the point of sticking with it though as didn't use Push Email and wanted Windows Media Player 10...

Guest Fleabag
Guess u could always add salt and pepper to make it more paletable  ;)

Well aware of T-Mobile Blackberry. It's been supported on the MDA III for ages. I installed the rom update that included from T-Mobile that included the software support on my MDA III long ago. Didn't see the point of sticking with it though as didn't use Push Email and wanted Windows Media Player 10...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't aware that you couldn't use MP10 if you had instant email! As you may have guessed I'm not a hardcore techy lol...

Guest Pondrew
I wasn't aware that you couldn't use MP10 if you had instant email! As you may have guessed I'm not a hardcore techy lol...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

U probably could if the operator's rom update provided it ;)

Unfortunately even the latest T-Mobile MDA III rom I've used was woefully out of date, one demonstation of which being that it still had Windows Media Player 9.

Anyway, moved to Pocket PC Phone Main. With inaccuracies in spec and a likely photoshopped image this isn't quite ready for the News section. If time proves me wrong I'll be the first to admit it (if someone reminds me!)

Guest Fleabag

Not long returned from a briefing.

It was confirmed MDA C-2 is a magenta [not pink] variant of the Compact. It will run Windows Mobile 5.

I also had a go on a MDA Vario [i took some photos on my Compact - the lighting was terrible, and as a result so are the photos], was a nice little piece of kit [and yes, definitely is 100% the K-JAM] - I'm not sure if I heard correctly but I'm sure they said it supports Li-Fi [3mb/s+].

Interesting. ;)

post-154123-1130452326_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fleabag

Guest Pondrew

Are T-Mobile about to steal ANOTHER march over Orange? An HTC Magician with WM5? No one else has one!

They may not be the premier Smartphone provider in the UK (yet?) but they seem to have overtaken both O2 and Orange as the number one Pocket PC Phone provider...

Guest Fleabag
Are T-Mobile about to steal ANOTHER march over Orange? An HTC Magician with WM5? No one else has one!

They may not be the premier Smartphone provider in the UK (yet?) but they seem to have overtaken both O2 and Orange as the number one Pocket PC Phone provider...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree. Until I got my first MDA iii about 6 months ago I had no interest in mobile devices, to be honest I didn't even realise they existed. T-Mobile is going from strength to strength. By the way, the Vario was released tonight. ;)

Something I forgot to mention, is that if you don't believe me call customer services. They will be more than happy to tell you all about the MDA Compact 2.

Edited by Fleabag

Guest Pondrew

Fleabag, I believe the MDA Compact II is coming. I called T-Mobile today and was told a few things about it. Highlights included the suggestion it'll come in three colour options, Blue, Silver, and magenta.

Major downer though, the documentation the lass I was speaking to was quoting was unspecific of which version of Windows Mobile it was running, contrary to the Vario info which clearly stated Windows Mobile 5.0.

If anything, those links make me LESS linclined to believe it's going to have Windows Mobile 5. WM5 WITHOUT softkeys?! Not possible. The softkeys are part of the OS, they're not a skin. That screenshot on msmobiles is Windows Mobile 2003SE! So if anything, this just leads me to believe the MDA Compact II is just a Qtek S110 (128meg ram version) but with a new paintjob.

PLEASE prove me wrong as the world NEEDS a WM5 Magician ;)

• 1 month later...