Cant get tomtom to find gps receiver!

Guest amo

Anyone know how I can resolve this, my Tomtom (v 5.1) cant find my gps receiver at all!

Its paired via bluetooth the the phone but i cant actually use it. My bluetooth options on this phone are Very lacking. It doesnt allow me to set any options of serial connections over bluetooth when pairing etc... Is there a rom update for this?

Guest mike-oh

Not that this is any help but i just got BT TomTom Nav 5 last week and it was working within minutes.

One thing to note. When the gps receiver attempted pairing did you select the option when asked about using serial port profile? You need to do this.

**edit** oh i re-read your post, i see you didnt get the option.

Have you tried deleting the pairing on your phone and re-doing the pairing? As far as i can see there are no other settings to play with. Just make sure that in your settings in TomTom that it's looking for the BT receiver and not any other. To check this go to Preferences>GPS status>configure and select TomTom Wireless GPS.

Hope you get it working soon, it really is great!

Edited by mike-oh

Guest daveham

amo.....there is an easy solution for this.

delete the pairing between GPS and phone, and turn bluetooth off

install pocket bluetooth tools

http://bluetooth.i-networx.de/index_e.html

turn bluetooth on and re-pair devices. PBT will then kick in and offer you several options for the connection. Select serial, then COM8 from the drop down box.

Once paired, go into TOMTOM, then select change preference/show gps status/configure.

Assuming you have a generic Bluetooth box, select "other bluetooth gps". It will ask you to pair devices. This should already be done. Click continue. You will now have an extra option in the ports list of "xxxxxxx on COM 8" in my case "BT GPS on COM8"

Select that, and all should be fine.

Guest maxwell_hung

Tomtom connected fine to my Globalsat GPS using the "other bluetooth GPS" option in and selecting the right com port (6 I think mine is)

Be patient sometimes it does take tomtom a while to find the gps device. Also if it doesn't work at first delete the pairing and try again. I had to do this when I borrowed a friends GPS.

Also make sure you have BT connectable on your phone ;)

I tried installing bluetooth tools on my phone, when i pair the receiver the extra window flashes up for a split second and then disappears again before I get the chance to select any other options that the bluetooths tools should give me!

So strange, getting frustrated now ;)

Guest mavarick

The bluetooth is a s*d on the Jam the software you've installed doesn't always keep focus to the front on older ROMS.

One of the ways I found past this was to delete the pairing, soft reset the Jam and then go and do it all again (the Jam appears to only like COM6)

If you can do this and still can't get it working on 'other bluetooth GPS', try selecting Other Cable NMEA GPS, if your seeing the UTC and the time in the top window be patient.

• 2 weeks later...

Well seems that T Mobile are useless, their ROM doesn't support bluetooth serial ports properly. So, after no luck with them - i've managed to flash my MDA Compact with the latest iMate Jam ROM.

The outcome, everything works! Much better than before and im a happy bunny ;)