Qtek 9100 bad wifi reception

Guest zen123

Not sure if anyone else is having the same problem with wifi as I am.

My house is an average sized 2 storey detached property with solid brick walls. The router is located in my downstairs study on one side of the house. I can connect with no problems if I'm very near the router. However things begin to deteriorate the further I'm away from it to the point where I don't get any reception at all when I'm in my upstairs toilet & the 2 bedrooms furthest away from the router.

I also have an Ipaq 4150 which has no such problems & connects anywhere in the house & far outside. Also walking along the street outside my home it detects all my neighbours networks aswell, but no such luck with the Qtek as the connection is lost before I even walk out the front door & it doesn't detect any of my neighbours networks either.

Has anyone noticed that their qtek/kjam has (very very) limited wifi range or could it be I have a faulty unit?

Anyway I've already sent it back to Expansys expecting a replacement, but if they say there's nothing wrong with it I'll just cancel the contract.

I've found my WiFi signal to be a bit more robust when I changed the power settings for the WiFi adaptor from the middle to Best Performance.

It connects no problem and reasonably fast (my router is in the front bedroom upstairs, but it's a timberframe house) on average within 10 seconds. Although still can't get it to surf the web ;)

I've seen comments hat the Qtek/KJam doesn't transmit on the full range of 802.11 channels. You might also be getting local interference on the channel it's using (from DECT phones, video senders, microwave ovens etc). So changing the frequencies on the access point could be worth a try.

If that doesn't work try resiting your access point, or buying an extension aerial. I've moved mine high up into the stairwell so it's more central in the house. You could even throw a bit of Cat5 into the loft and site it there, as you'll get less attentuation though wooden floors than you will through brick walls.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on the wifi issue I'm having with the Qtek 9100. I returned the phone & cancelled the contract.

I did however manage to get another (new) example from ebay, I really do like the form factor & everything elae about this phone, but sadly exactly the same problem as before.

Anyways my wife decided she wanted a windows smartphone & managed to bag a Qtek 8300 from expansys. We set up the wifi parameters & guess what it works like a dream. It connects to my network anywhere in the house & beyond & its lightning fast download speed.

This brings the question as to why the 9100 wifi has such a limited range. I would have thught that it should be even better than the 8300.