Orange to release Samsung i300?

Guest dpeilow

Guest dpeilow

In the item on this page...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/21/or..._takes_on_ipod/

The Register are talking about an assault by Orange on the music market in the UK.

Particularly of interest is the following paragraph:

Orange also let on that it was currently looking at the two hard disk based phones – the Nokia N91 and the Samsung SGH-i300 and that Orange subscribers might be able to take delivery of them in the New Year. The Music Player is currently compatible with eleven phones, though Orange has promised to roll it out to cheaper, more youth-oriented handsets next year."

[Edit by Paul:

Good News? I think so... any aid to the proliferation of Windows Mobile handsets is positive, and it'd be nice to shift some units to really convince Samsung to throw their weight behind Windows Mobile. On the other hand, there are numerous reports of the hard disk hammering battery life on the i300 (3GB flash would have been better), and of course there is the question of Windows Mobile 5 or 2003 SE.... only time will tell I guess ;)]

Guest MitchellO

What I find strange is that they can do an INCREDIBLE deal with apple for its flash memory, yet it uses a HDD in its phone. I mean, the 4Gb nano is just insanely cheap considering the 4Gb of FLASH memory. Flash is HEAPS more expensive than microdrives, yet Apple was able to get such a good deal on flash from Samsung. Just seams strange that they don't put flash in their own phone.

What I find strange is that they can do an INCREDIBLE deal with apple for its flash memory, yet it uses a HDD in its phone. I mean, the 4Gb nano is just insanely cheap considering the 4Gb of FLASH memory. Flash is HEAPS more expensive than microdrives, yet Apple was able to get such a good deal on flash from Samsung. Just seams strange that they don't put flash in their own phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe they have some sort of non compete with Motorola. Some sort of, get the motorola/apple business but you can't produce a similar product. But that's just a guess

Guest scott2eyes

Can someone explain this to me?

The big news is the Orange Music Converter, a rather nifty bit of software for your PC which enables users to convert tracks they have stored on their PC's hard disk into the AAC+ format which is compatible with the Orange Music Player. It works with MP3s and WMAs, but obviously not DRM-ed WMA and AAC tracks downloaded from Napster, iTunes et al. The reason you might want to do this is that the AAC+ tracks take up just 700k of space on a storage card as opposed to 3/4MB of a full MP3 track. So your 512MB SD card instantly now holds the same as a two Gig card would if loaded with MP3s.

Since when has 700k taken a quarter of the space of 3/4MB?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.