Orange announce SPV C600 and SPV M3000 (ish)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Well what a surprise! Orange have announced the SPV C600 and SPV M3000, as detailed on some of the European sites over the past few days.

I have copied the press release below, please note that the M3000 (aka HTC Wizard) is NOT scheduled for UK release... and EDGE rollout is also NOT planned for the UK.

On the bright side tho, the C600 is great! ;)

P

ORANGE EXPANDS ITS SIGNATURE DEVICES FOR BUSINESS RANGE TO GIVE BUSINESSES THE EDGE

Orange launches Europe’s first Microsoft® Windows Mobile™ 5.0 Smartphone

and a new Windows Mobile 5.0 PDA

London, 27 October, 2005: Orange SA has expanded its Signature devices for business range with the launch of the SPV C600 smartphone and the SPV M3000, a wireless PDA. Both devices support high speed data access by using EDGE technology.

The launch of the C600 and M3000 gives Orange the widest range of mobile devices based on the Microsoft® operating system. The range ensures Orange business customers can easily connect their employees’ mobile devices to Microsoft Exchange™ 2003 Server, without additional software.

The SPV C600 allows customers to access their email, use their calendar and synchronise data with their desktop, as well as making calls and sending text messages in the usual way. The SPV M3000 offers customers the same ability to do business effectively while on the move, with the addition of a high quality PDA screen and a full keyboard.

Both devices are designed to ensure that doing business out of the office is simple and effective. Underpinning these key business features is the faster data rates that EDGE provides, giving customers faster access to their email and other business data via Orange’s high speed advanced EDGE networks in France, Poland, Slovakia, Romania and Belgium. Quad-band compatibility ensures global network coverage, making both devices ideally suited for business travellers.

Orange is the first operator in Europe to deliver a Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0-based smartphone. Like its predecessor, the iconic SPV C500, the C600 sets the standard for smartphones with one click access to its broad range of key business features. The SPV C600 is designed and priced for high volume business sales, opening the way for companies to equip their entire workforce to do business remotely. 

The SPV M3000 is Orange’s second Windows Mobile 5.0 wireless PDA. It has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard to make data entry fast and easy, without comprising on a compact form factor. The SPV C600 and SPV M3000 deliver excellent voice functionality, combined with feature-rich data capabilities that help companies unlock the potential in their businesses.

Both devices have built-in email and real time syncing with Microsoft Outlook™, giving business customers immediate access to their diary, contacts and emails enabling them to manage their time and work productively wherever they are.  In addition, Windows Mobile 5.0 ensures the closest experience to the desktop version of Microsoft Office on a mobile device. A proven and reliable operating system, Windows Mobile 5.0 gives business users the type of functionality and applications they use on their Microsoft desktop PC.

As part of the Signature devices for business range, both models feature the unique Orange Homescreen, which is customised for business users. The Homescreen provides one click access to key business features including ActiveSync, File Explorer, Calculator and Notes. Customers also have the option to further personalise the menu to their individual requirements. The Homescreen ensures a straight forward and consistent user-experience across the entire range. For businesses the result is easier deployment, training and support - cutting mobile management costs and ensuring a smooth transition to a more mobile business.

“Devices like the C600 and M3000 are driving business mobility by giving people access to data when and where they need it. The key to really harnessing the potential of mobility however is to provide a broad choice of devices so businesses can select the one most relevant to any type of employee requirement. By offering an expanded range with a consistent operating interface, Orange is ensuring a customer centric experience and removing the complexity of managing their mobile device investment, regardless of size and diversity,” says Philippe Bernard, Executive Vice President, Orange Business Solutions.

Following in the footsteps of the top-selling SPV C500, the SPV C600 is launching across all Orange territories, with the SPV M3000 launching in France, Poland, Netherlands, Slovakia and Romania. The SPV C600 will be available at sub €250 and the SPV M3000 at sub €350.  Pricing will vary across territories according to local market conditions and contract value.

The SPV 600 and SPV M3000 bring Orange’s range of Windows Mobile-based devices to six models, three of which feature Windows Mobile 5.0. Both new devices offer embedded email functionality through POP3 and IMAP4 as well as real time syncing.

“We're thrilled to see Orange launching the SPV M3000 and C600, which further extends Orange’s successful range of Windows Mobile devices,” said Marianne Roling, Director, Mobile & Embedded Devices Division, Microsoft EMEA.  “These devices are defining a brand new category of phones that offer users the familiar Windows look-and-feel with applications such as Office, MSN and Windows Media Player—all in one compact, stylish device.  Users can now be even more productive on the go and make the most of the multimedia capabilities of these devices.”

“The majority of businesses use the Microsoft platform in their office environment,” says Philippe Bernard, Executive Vice President, Orange Business Solutions. “Therefore many of our customers want Microsoft in their mobile environment too. That is why we work so closely with Microsoft to make sure we offer the widest and most advanced family of Microsoft-centric mobile devices.”

As part of the Signature devices for business range, both devices have undergone stringent testing against business performance criteria. Key business features of the devices include:

• The Orange Homescreen

• Access to email and PIM synchronisation via ActiveSync

• Access to Pocket Microsoft Office applications including new Internet Explorer™ Mobile

• An icon that provides one click access to the key applications required by business users

• Long battery life (4 hours talk time, 6 days on standby)

• Car kit

• Stereo headset

• Travel charger and international adaptor

• USB sync and charge cable

• Selection of screensavers, wallpapers and ringtones suited to business use

* Pricing will vary across territories according to local market conditions. 

Orange has high speed advanced EDGE networks in France, Poland, Slovakia, Romania and Belgium.

SPV C600

The SPV C600 offers many of the same features as the popular SPV C500, plus a number of enhancements such as Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0. In addition, EDGE gives users faster connections speeds (up to 247 kbps), aiding the sending and receiving of email and files.

Ease of use is improved with joystick control and an integrated in-box for email, text and multi-media messages and a longer life battery. The SPV C600 also has a break-through high resolution colour screen (320x240 pixel colour screen), a 1.3 mega pixel camera and a 64MB internal memory.  To help busy executives relax, it also features an MP3 and WAV music player and Windows Media Player 10 Mobile.

The SPV C600 will be available in France, UK, Netherlands and Switzerland from the end of October and in Romania, Belgium, Slovakia and Poland from the first week of November.

SPV M3000

A new connected PDA with an innovative design that features a slide out keyboard for easy data entry. It has a large high resolution (320x240 pixel) touch screen, that automatically switches from landscape to portrait display depending on its orientation.

Running Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 the SPV M3000 offers mobile versions of familiar applications such as Microsoft Outlook as well as Internet Explorer™ Mobile, plus the convenience of using the same file formats (such .doc, .xls, .ppt). Combined with 128MB internal memory and support for additional external memory, it makes the SPV M3000 a powerful mini-computer for business users on the move. In addition to fast EDGE (up to 247 kbps), the SPV M3000 also supports WiFi connectivity (802.11b) to give users broadband mobile access. It also offers a 1.3 mega pixel camera and camcorder.

The SPV M3000 will be available in France from the end of October and in Poland, Netherlands, Slovakia and Romania from the first week of November.

Guest leshemnoam

well that's it. I’m leaving orange... I was waiting since Sep(when my contract ended) for the m3000 to come out here in the UK but now I’ll take my business to t-mob when the Vario is out

Why would they not release it in the UK? ;)

Or maybe, if anyone knows, WHEN are they planning to release it in the UK?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paul, do you know of any imminent-ish developments beyond the C600? I am itching to upgrade my 500 but really want a all singing all dancing 3G wifi WM5 smartphone. If its going to be another 9 months then I might just grab myself a 600 in the mean time. And why is it so much more ugly that the QTEK built on the same chassis???

O have said in the past that they had no plans to release EDGE here in the UK, and I've never heard anything to change that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't really care about edge BUT if Orange do not release the M3000 in the UK then myself and a lot of others are off to other providers its that simple.

Whats the bloody point in launching a Press release in London when the only announcement is a knackered WM5 with no Wireless and a phone that is launched in Slovakia before the UK.

Why have they not set a date for a UK release.

Guest Paul [MVP]
Paul, do you know of any imminent-ish developments beyond the C600? I am itching to upgrade my 500 but really want a all singing all dancing 3G wifi WM5 smartphone. If its going to be another 9 months then I might just grab myself a 600 in the mean time. And why is it so much more ugly that the QTEK built on the same chassis???

I can honestly say I know nothing of Smartphone devices past the Tornado family. I don't think the C600 is ugly personally, just less flash than the QTek 8310 ;)

P

I'm also going to be leaving Orange. It was bad enough they crippled the C600 by removing Wi-fi. I thought at least I would be able to get the Wi-fi I NEED on the M3000, but no, I won't even be able to get the b****y thing!

Hello o2 / T-mobile / Voda, bye bye orange.

Guest mfvx5jb1

Gutted! If there's no M3000 in the UK then I'm with the others above and heading elsewhere after over 7 years with O.

Surely this is a typo? Bizzare!

C600 does look like a nice easy upgrade but I really fancied the Wizard

I'll wait and see what's on our new corporate pricebook on Tuesday

JCB

Okay, I'm getting confused with all the versions.

Is there (going to be) an Imate version of the C600? I know there's the SP5/M, but they're different, aren't they?

I like the look of the C600, but not too sure what the differences are (apart from the WiFi thing).

TIA,

Pete.

Okay, I'm getting confused with all the versions.

Is there (going to be) an Imate version of the C600?  I know there's the SP5/M, but they're different, aren't they?

I like the look of the C600, but not too sure what the differences are (apart from the WiFi thing).

TIA,

Pete.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The C600 is the same as the SP5 but without WiFi.

Maybe the only way to stay with Orange is to buy the iMate SP5, SIM free and get Orange to reimburse in way of airtime.

Is the M3000 similar to one of the XDA range at O2? For new customers, they'll sell me the M5000-alike XDA Exec for 130 quid. Pondering whether to move there after more than 8 years with Orange....but the clincher will be how much I can get a PDA with a Keyboard and wireless for...

Is the M3000 similar to one of the XDA range at O2? For new customers, they'll sell me the M5000-alike XDA Exec for 130 quid. Pondering whether to move there after more than 8 years with Orange....but the clincher will be how much I can get a PDA with a Keyboard and wireless for...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been a happy Orange customer for 12 years now but I too am now thinking of leaving. The XDA Exec/M5000 for £139 is just soooooo tempting for me too! The only down side is that O2 coverage is not as good as Orange down here on the coast :D

I accept that Orange are usually last to get new phones but this is just taking the ****!

Now the only decision is M3000 or M5000 ;)

Guest MatthewNCB

12 years with Orange? Ahh those were the days, did you get the free cinema pass for a year too? And there was the free texting, I was clocking up over 200 a day, back in those days!

Anyway I am with a lot of other people here, i will be leaving Orange this month. I dread to think how much money I have paid them over the years, but my contract is at 14 months and i have been waiting for the announcement from them re the wizard for too long now.

Dont they realise how many customer they could secure, just by announcing an intentions to release it, half of us would wait, just to save the hasle of moving.

So thats it, i'm getting my numbers and i'm off. I've heard that Voda are supplying Qtek's directly, my mate has one due on Monday, as soon as the Guinea Pig comes through i am placing my order!

Shame, but i have a feeling i might end up back with orange one day.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Free texting, those were the days... I remember the uproar (particularly on 'Locust' - was anyone on there?) when they announced it!

It is a shame, so many great services have fallen by the wayside (Wildfire, Anyphone, Orange Gatherings that never seemed to get launched)....

P

Free texting, those were the days... I remember the uproar (particularly on 'Locust' - was anyone on there?) when they announced it!

It is a shame, so many great services have fallen by the wayside (Wildfire, Anyphone, Orange Gatherings that never seemed to get launched)....

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wildfire User, (I'm not holding anything ;) )

Anyphone user, (when you phone died)

Locust, (God now I feel old)

I'm off to 02 with the rest of them.

Bye Bye Orange

Why would Orange role out EDGE in the UK when they have roled out 3G which is faster. Being an Orange customer for years I am disapointed that they could not have stipulated to HTC that they would like the phone to be EDGE and £G complient like most of the High end Nokia's.

We in the UK are a push over I guess , cos no doubt we will all upgrade and live with the fact that we could have had a high speeed device. Can you imagine the French doing this !!! No the ports would be blocked there would be protests in the streets etc .. Ok a bit extream but they do know how to complain and get a customer point across.

Guest adjonline
Any word on when we will be able to upgrade to the c600? orange still saying it is in testing and will be "october" when you call them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the press release says October and October ends Monday, so logic says Monday. As Orange seems to very rarely allow logic to influence release dates, I'd say any day but Monday.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.