Ask Paul [MVP]: SPV C600 Q&A

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]
Paul you know this voodoo to do with smartphones.

How hard would it have been to include such a function?

I've raised this with MS directly... off is off on Smartphones so, technically, impossible as it stands.

Just turn radio off if you want to have the same effect ;)

P

Paul,

Have you had the chance to try out any Bluetooth Handsfree headsets with the C600?

(I've a Sony Ericsson SBH-608 which works very well with the C550 for reference)

I'm particularly interested to know if the C600 will allow a voice activated call whilst the keypad on the phone is locked.

This functionality "appeared" with the C550 but was absent on the trsuty C500.

Glad to hear the C600 keypad is an improvement over the C550, as this is taking some getting used too !!!

I really wish I'd waited for the C600 instead of diving in for the C550 !!!

As an aside, is anyone "in the know" aware of any "slider" format Windows mobile handsets in development ?

Guest HerpezP
As an aside, is anyone "in the know" aware of any "slider" format Windows mobile handsets in development ?
The only one I know of would be the Newgen D2000 (www.mobile-review.com/phonemodels/newgen/newgen-d2000-en.shtml). Don't know if it will be available outside of Asia though ;)

I think I'm at least going to wait for the next generation smartphone... a little better display and cam and WM5 isn't enough for me to upgrade from the C500... Though something like the Motorola Q could tempt me just because of the design :D

- does this phone have auto re-dial?

- have they improved text delivery reports i.e. 'ticked' sent text messages instead of getting a seperate text back with just a number and no contact?

- Have you found out whether this phone will be free on upgrade

- I am still interested where the status light is? does the earpeice light up or is the led on top?

Thanks

Guest Socrates
I'm particularly interested to know if the C600 will allow a voice activated call whilst the keypad on the phone is locked.

This functionality "appeared" with the C550 but was absent on the trsuty C500.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have Audiovox verion fo the c500. On that phone, if I put my bluetooth headset in HEADSET profile, it won't dial while locked. However, if you put in HANDSFREE mode it will redial or make voice calls when pressed.

This was actually a problem for me. I had a bluetrek g2 that was GREAT. I used it in headset mode. Then it got stolen so I bought another one. Unfortunately the second one (which was an "updated" version although the box was no different) absolutely refused to connect in headset profile. This meant that everytime I put the thing in my pocket or set it down or jst bumped it it fired off a redial or a voice call and people would call me pissed that I was dialing them over and over again.

I'm actuall looking for a new headset model because it got to the point where the thing was useless to me.

Edited by Socrates

Guest efission

Orange CS told me on friday that it would definitely be available within two weeks.

Guy in Orange shop this morning told me it would be out in October, when I pointed out that gave him about half a day he said "it was subject to change".

I reckon (hope) we'll see it by the end of the week.

Guest Holdings
Hi,

You lucky man!!

Does the new model support Orange Line 2?

Steve

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All previous versions of the SPV (going all the way back to the first one) supported line 2 so would imagine that the C600 will also.

Guest moonshot
Hi all!

I am in the fortunate position of having in my possession a SPV C600, and since i've now got to grips with it, i'd like to answer any questions MoDaCo readers have about the device!

Feel free to post any questions about Orange's latest Smartphone below, and I will endeavour to do my best to respond, and any questions I can't answer, Orange have kindly agreed to respond to.

Fire away! ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Paul

What weight is the c600? I have the C550, its 107g, 7gs more than the c500.

Big irration on the C500 is the backlight and receiving notifications with the screen off, any changes?

e.g.

Trying to unlock phone in the dark, keypad doesn't light up until you've unlocked it, but you can't see the keys to do that...

If you've a calendar reminder that occurs when the screen is off, in order to wake the screen to see it, you need to press a menu key which then dismisses the reminder (it could be I've not worked out a way round this of course)

If you've a calendar reminder that occurs when the screen is off, in order to wake the screen to see it, you need to press a menu key which then dismisses the reminder (it could be I've not worked out a way round this of course)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

press the power button once..

Paul,

Do you know which Bluetooth profiles the C600 has? My Bluetooth carkit supports phonebook synchronisation, but apparently requires the "Object Exchange" profile in order to do so, and my current SPV C500 does not have this bluetooth profile. It would be nice to know whether the C600 includes this profile.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mark

Guest mostafa

Paul,

I have a SP5 which is nearly the same hardware as the C600 (other than no WiFi), but I cannot seem to change my txt message centre number on the phone for some reason on an orange sim (keeps saying confirm network coverage and settings are supported by network). I can for Vodaphone. I have also tried the orange sim in my old C500 for which it works fine.

Can you confirm if this is a problem with the C600 as well?

regards

Mostafa

Guest Jerome2811
Paul,

Do you know which Bluetooth profiles the C600 has?  My Bluetooth carkit supports phonebook synchronisation, but apparently requires the "Object Exchange" profile in order to do so, and my current SPV C500 does not have this bluetooth profile.  It would be nice to know whether the C600 includes this profile.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you turned "Receive incoming beams" on in settings --> option 7?

Guest UniqueTouch
The soundbug (tssss on C500) dissapeared on C600?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got my sp5 yesterday and heard the "tsss" about 3 times (unlocking phone or pressing start soft key).

I thought it was just me...was this an issue on the older c5xx series?

Guest flywest
I got my sp5 yesterday and heard the "tsss" about 3 times (unlocking phone or pressing start soft key).

I thought it was just me...was this an issue on the older c5xx series?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PLLLLLLZZZZZZZZ tell me the Tsssssss....... noise is GONEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Guest fanacreonte
Hi all!

I am in the fortunate position of having in my possession a SPV C600, and since i've now got to grips with it, i'd like to answer any questions MoDaCo readers have about the device!

Feel free to post any questions about Orange's latest Smartphone below, and I will endeavour to do my best to respond, and any questions I can't answer, Orange have kindly agreed to respond to.

Fire away! ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I ve read most of the replys please can you tell me if the memory card is still underneath battery....im hoping for those e200 days when memory card just slides in and out and whats the slot near power button is its a speaker ????

I ve read most of the replys please can you tell me if the memory card is still underneath battery....im hoping for those e200 days when memory card just slides in and out and whats the slot near power button is its a speaker ????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the slot is under the battery!

Guest spvdreamer

Anyone have any ideas on a revised release date for this beauty? It seems clear that when the recent press release came out they MUST have know they couldn't meet the promised date. Why do this?

Guest captainsensible

How come its not even shown on their 'coming soon' page?? Very interested in upgrading to one of these, although tomtom 5 not working doesn't sound good - is it true that doesn't work on the c550 either?

Guest vwilsonuk

Hi! Have had my eye on the C600 for some time via this site. This is my first post.

First of all, since you have a dialogue with Orange I would like to add my name to the list of individuals disappointed by the lack of wifi on this device. Wifi hotspots are expensive, so people would probably only try VoIP in an environment where they have their own or a company Wifi network - where the chances are they could use their PC's Skype install anyway. As someone who was tempted to Orange by the smartphone I am cautious about moving to a company that are comfortable to be seen putting their own commercial interests above the quality of their product offering. I am thinking twice now about buying a C600, and considering either waiting for the Moto Q in Q1 next year or one of the Jasjar type devices to stay on 3G.

Secondly, thank you for answering all these questions and for posting the photograph comparing the seven models of phone. Sadly I am not as familiar with the different models as some of the other users here, so please would you tell me which models are phone 2,3,4 and 6 (counting from the left)!

Many thanks,

Victoria

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.