Developers rejoice... Visual Studio 2005 on MSDN!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

If you, like me, are a Windows Mobile developer (with an MSDN subscription) then REJOICE!

The day that seemed like it would never come is here... Visual Studio 2005 is RTM and available for download on MSDN! (Hurrah!)

IMHO the finest development tool for mobile devices ever seen (by some margin) will be available from retail in 'a few weeks time', but if you are an MSDN subscriber, head over to subscriber downloads and fill yer boots!

If you are a developer planning to purchase Visual Studio 2005 in retail, rejoice anyway... it's off at manufacturing... and for the first time, Mobile Device support is included in the STANDARD editions of Visual Studio!

;)

P (happy chappy!)

Guest burnsnet

Hi

What version of VS2005 are you downloading...? I only see the Pro version at the moment - I want the Team Developer Version :-(

Thanks

Burnsnet

93% of the 3.6GB (yeah 3.6GB!) download complete!

;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest burnsnet

Hi Paul

I have an ISV Empower Subscription which gives me a Universal Subscription for £265/year... I have in writing from MSDN that we'd get the Team Developer Edition but it now seems that this may not :evil: be the case!

I'm on the phone to MSDN now and hopefully something will be sorted - I need the Unit Testing etc... I'm just pleased I got it in writing - fingers crossed :roll:

Thanks

Burnsnet

.NET and .NET CF 2 are also RTM.

I've downloaded Team Developer... did you transition your MSDN membership properly?

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am 50% downloaded on VS 2005 Team Architect and 46% on sql server 2005 developer ;)

Can somone with a MSDN download active try and download the latest Vista build. Every time I try it just gives a status of "suspened" ! :D

Guest Paul [MVP]
I am 50% downloaded on VS 2005 Team Architect  and 46% on sql server 2005 developer ;)

Can somone with a MSDN download active try and download the latest Vista build.  Every time I try it just gives a status of "suspened" ! :D

I got Vista build fine.

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Very great news! Hope that they will include them into coming devices very soon...

Didn't .net CF 2 RTM with Windows Mobile 5?

As far as I understood it, it is in WM5 ROM already for PPCs, but will always be a (memory sucking) CAB install for Smartphones?

P

Guest Dumdidum
Didn't .net CF 2 RTM with Windows Mobile 5?

As far as I understood it, it is in WM5 ROM already for PPCs, but will always be a (memory sucking) CAB install for Smartphones?

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hm, unfortunatly there is no CF2 on my Universal...

I asked in the microsoft.developer-Newsgroup about it and they said that CF2 RTM will be available at Q4 of 2005 (now), WM 5.0 was introduced in Q3...

Think it's about 5MB big, very big for Smartphones. I have decompressed it and copied all the DLLs to the storage card. Every application I am coding for CF2 is copied in this folder...

Sven

Hm, unfortunatly there is no CF2 on my Universal...

I asked in the microsoft.developer-Newsgroup about it and they said that CF2 RTM will be available at Q4 of 2005 (now), WM 5.0 was introduced in Q3...

Think it's about 5MB big, very big for Smartphones. I have decompressed it and copied all the DLLs to the storage card. Every application I am coding for CF2 is copied in this folder...

Sven

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently it's downloadable for Windows CE 5 platform builders.

I guess there will be an AKU update for Windows Mobile 5 with CF2 included.

This blog says .NET Compact Framework 2 is around 2 MB compared to version 1's 1.5 MB:

http://blogs.msdn.com/mikehall/archive/200.../28/486358.aspx

Guest illumin8

;) Fantastic news!! Does the STANDARD edition licence allow commercial redistribution?

If you, like me, are a Windows Mobile developer (with an MSDN subscription) then REJOICE!

The day that seemed like it would never come is here... Visual Studio 2005 is RTM and available for download on MSDN! (Hurrah!)

IMHO the finest development tool for mobile devices ever seen (by some margin) will be available from retail in 'a few weeks time', but if you are an MSDN subscriber, head over to subscriber downloads and fill yer boots!

If you are a developer planning to purchase Visual Studio 2005 in retail, rejoice anyway... it's off at manufacturing... and for the first time, Mobile Device support is included in the STANDARD editions of Visual Studio!

:D

P (happy chappy!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D :D

Guest FragMeister
I am on WindowsMobile 2003 (Ive got a Magician).

Any ideas if this .NET 2.0 framework is the correct version??

.NET Compact Framework 2.0 End User Download

at 25mb, i hope that this also contains the whole of the 2.0 framework (which i already have on my PC thanks to VS2005 Beta2)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A bit sad i know, replying to my own posts!

The reason why the .NET CF 2.0 is a 25mb download is that it contains various different CAB files. the appropriate one for your device will get installed when you run the activesync add/remove programs wizard. the space required on your phone is just over 5mb. (it wont install to an SD card - even though add/remove programs gives you the option, it gets installed on the phone anyway!)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.