Writing software for MS Mobile Windows

Guest simonbrooke

Guest simonbrooke

I am sure I am not alone in having a pathalogical hatred of MS development tools. For anyone but particularly a newcomer or someone coming back to programming using them is a daunting prospect.

I have been off the programming 'scene' for a few years now but during my time off, I had cause to do do some VB stuff - I bought a "boys' guide to VisualBASIC" book and loved the promise of OLE, ActiveX etc etc. but I found (and I should have known) that the whole thing was at best quirky and given to not working with certain (even mainstream) software. I think my hatred for MS was finally cemented when I eventually managed to find a 'sleep' routine-by them-only to find it used upwards of 80% of the processor's time!

I remember the frightening prospect of the leap from console based DOS or UNIX programs to my first Windows "hello world - OK Cancel" 'application'. I did it in Borland Delphi (1 or 2 I think) and it was fantastic; so easy, so robust! One SMALL, 'deployable application'-you just copied the .exe about. Of course I am being a bit crass; I understand the need for multi-language, multi-platform (that's lots of Windows versions isn't it?) programs, but isn't (wasn't) it nice just to drag a few buttons and controls onto a form and fill in the event code?

My point is, I am quite keen to dip back in again and write a few programs, for my smartphone (SPV C550). Plerase can anyone save me a bit of time and tell me, 'can I do it in Delphi?' and is it quite straight forward? Can I easily get intimate with my smartphone functions or is Windows Mobile as cryptic, legacy ridden and flakey as Windows (desktop?)?

Summary - Is there a quick and easy development tool for MS Mobile?!

Thanks for your time and help.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jamma14
i think you need Visual Studio .Net 2003 or later to develop for Smartphones. VS2005 express also works, but thats for beta testers only at the mo im afraid.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, express editions of visual studio are available for free on Microsoft's website.

But I'm afraid you'll need to buy the standard edition or better to develop for windows mobile.

(In VB .net creating basic apps is quite easy, to anything good (a mon avis :) )you'll need to use native c++ code, which is hard)

Jamma

Guest neilarmstrong

Just download the free "Microsoft Embedded C++" version 3.0 or 4.0 development tool. I've been using it for a few years and think it's pretty good (considering it's free). Using version 4.0 means you can do .NET development (I think)...but that isn't really of any interest to me so I stick to version 3.0 which allows me to write code that'll work on all version of Smartphone OS and Pocket PC OS.

If you're at all familiar with developing Win32 apps for desktop PCs then writing for Windows Mobile should be a familiar experience. If you have no experience of Win32 then I accept that starting out is a horribly confusing experience....but start simple and experiment. A classic "Hello World" app always helps to boost your confidence.... :)

Guest Jamma14
Just download the free "Microsoft Embedded C++" version 3.0 or 4.0 development tool. I've been using it for a few years and think it's pretty good (considering it's free). Using version 4.0 means you can do .NET development (I think)...but that isn't really of any interest to me so I stick to version 3.0 which allows me to write code that'll work on all version of Smartphone OS and Pocket PC OS.

If you're at all familiar with developing Win32 apps for desktop PCs then writing for Windows Mobile should be a familiar experience. If you have no experience of Win32 then I accept that starting out is a horribly confusing experience....but start simple and experiment. A classic "Hello World" app always helps to boost your confidence....  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

.NET development is only possible using visual studio 2003 and 2005, although if you are wanting to develop something using native code or just muck around, then the eVC's are a good alternative.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...