Universal in the US

Guest orion2087

Guest orion2087

I'm pondering getting one of these as my next device, but I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this guy in the US with cingular, lacking the 900mhz band? Do any of the vairents support 850mhz? I'm wondering how the coverage would be..

Also, do any of the variants support EDGE?

I use my jasjar on cingular in the Boston area and have been very happy with the coverage. I am on the blue network so I can't say how the service would be on the orange sims. Also the only frequency I can use is the 1900, but I don't travel often enough to worry about the lack of 850.

Finally, no edge - everything is gprs.

See if you can find someone with cingular in your area that will let you borrow their sim for a day. That's the only way to truly know.

-sb

I'm pondering getting one of these as my next device, but I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this guy in the US with cingular, lacking the 900mhz band? Do any of the vairents support 850mhz? I'm wondering how the coverage would be..

Also, do any of the variants support EDGE?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest orion2087

Hmm, thanks for the responce.

Unfortunatly, I've got cingular, just no universal. ;)

I'm on a smartphone right now with the 850 band, with an orange sim.. So i'm trying weigh my options with stepping up to this.

Blah, why can't there be edge! :D

You could call Cingular Customer Care and find out what Mhz the towers in your area use. If it is 850Mhz, you are out of luck. There can't be EDGE because it is slow and crappy. That is why they included UMTS. The USA is just to lame to have widespread UMTS yet. We really need to get with the times!

Guest Confucious

The Universal is Tri band 900/1800/1900 and 3G

The only band it doesn't have is 850

Edge is unlikely as it is a stop gap between GPRS and full 3G which isn't used much outside the USA AFAIK

The rest of the world uses 900/1800 but the US has to be different with, first 1900 (included in the Universal) and now 850 (not included)

Audiovox released a version of the Typhoon (SMT5600) which had 850 so it is possible that they will release a version of the Universal adapted to the US market but I doubt if it will ever have Edge.

HTH