First couple of questions!

Guest nowimboard

Guest nowimboard

Isn't the handset fantastic?!!

Anyway, I cant seem to install Activsync 4 as I dont have service pack 2. Neither do I want service pack 2!

I plugged the phone and an xp wont install it as it doesn't have t drivers I guess I can ask it to search the cd for drivers [ill try that later] Any other ideas though guys?

Also, i haven't found how to turn on the sim password. Just the phone lock!

Lastly [for now] Is there a MS Paint type utility. I've been doodling on "Notes" but its not the same. Any one know of a utility like this?

Guest airborne
Isn't the handset fantastic?!!

Anyway,  I cant seem to install Activsync 4 as I dont have service pack 2.  Neither do I want service pack 2!

I plugged the phone and an xp wont install it as it doesn't have t drivers I guess I can ask it to search the cd for drivers [ill try that later]  Any other ideas though guys?

Also, i haven't found how to turn on the sim password.  Just the phone lock!

Lastly [for now]  Is there a MS Paint type utility.  I've been doodling on "Notes" but its not the same.  Any one know of a utility like this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Out of curiosity, why don't you want XP Service Pack 2??

Guest nowimboard
Out of curiosity, why don't you want XP Service Pack 2??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I didn't install it when it first came out due to all the problems people had with firewalls and networking and gamming etc etc. I didn't really so its giving me much beinfit over the trouble it caused. Since then I havem't really seen the need to get the service pack.

I guess it wont do much damage now so I might as well try install it this evening.

oh grrr

My modern laptop does not have SP2 (it blocks all connections; Microsoft and Fujitsu Siemens both can only advise: "do not install SP2"....!), but it installs the Activsync4 with no problem..... maybe there is another reason why it doesn't work with yours?

Guest nowimboard

Could be that It just doesn't install the drivers.

I tried to install A/S on my gf's laptop which also doesn't have SP2, it installed fine. Could be just that I already have 3.8 on my machine. Going to try and install the usb drivers tonight.

At this moment im looking for some decent software to have on the phone. Really annoyed that niether Rocket Mania OR Insanaquirim from Astraware work on the phone!

Any ideas on the MS Pain type utility guys?

Hmmmm... Still got a couple of months before I can upgrade but try this site for some arty programs...

http://www.freewareppc.com/graphics/graphics.shtml

The link will take you straight to the graphics section of the site but don't forget to check out the rest too as I believe most PocketPC software will work...

If still no luck just google Pocket PC freeware ;)

EDIT: Dunno if this will be any good to anyone??

http://www.mentalmotions.com/showpage.php?page=pencilbox

Edited by HEKTIK

Guest rickyburke

yeah the cd holds the drivers, but im under the impression u need activesync 4.0.

also there are issues with third party firewalls, which has been discussed elsewhere, google it for a resolution, usually just opening the correct port.

as for the sim password.

start-settings-phone.

options there to change password and activate it.

Edited by rickyburke

Guest nowimboard

Ok new thing,

How do I stop it displaying a txt when it comes in? I have tried turning off the notifications thing, but it doesn't make any sounds when i recive a txt. And it STILL shows the message at the bottom? Is there an off button or am I going to have to put up with it?

Guest rhaleuk
Hmmmm... Still got a couple of months before I can upgrade but try this site for some arty programs...

http://www.freewareppc.com/graphics/graphics.shtml

The link will take you straight to the graphics section of the site but don't forget to check out the rest too as I believe most PocketPC software will work...

If still no luck just google Pocket PC freeware    ;)

EDIT: Dunno if this will be any good to anyone??

http://www.mentalmotions.com/showpage.php?page=pencilbox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to let you all know... Pencil Box does not work at all on my M5000. It wont even launch. I tried the free version and the "delux" version. Looked ace on the website though!

Edited by rhaleuk

Guest rhaleuk
Ok new thing,

How do I stop it displaying a txt when it comes in?  I have tried turning off the notifications thing, but it doesn't make any sounds when i recive a txt.  And it STILL shows the message at the bottom?  Is there an off button or am I going to have to put up with it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd also like to know how to stop the phone vibrating when: it cant connect to the net, cant send email, just sent SMS, just sent MMS .... when in vibrate mode. I know this sounds silly but when at work I put my phone on vibrate to let me know when I get a call or text... but I dont want the phone to vibrate everytime I send a text... especially since this thing is VERY loud when vibrating if the screen is open.

Guest Pondrew
WM5.0 devices need AS 4.0 or above.

4.1 works fine ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have to agree with Confucious here, haven't looked back since installing first Activesync 4.0 and recently Activesync 4.1.

EDIT: oh and I've edited the topic title from M500 troubleshooting to M5000... :D

Guest nowimboard
EDIT: oh and I've edited the topic title from M500 troubleshooting to M5000...  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

meh im such a spazz! Thanks!

rhaleuk:

If you go into the sounds menu, then into the next tab you can select a limited number of functions and turn vibrate on/off etc etc.

Im not too hot on this WM5 way of setting sounds. I was rather hoping for profiles that you could edit better. Oh well. it will only be a matter of time before 3rd parties realese what im after!

Guest zarquon
I cant seem to install Activsync 4 as I dont have service pack 2.  Neither do I want service pack 2!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it a stand alone machine or on a network with a domain controler? Are you logged in to your computer as a user with local administrator rights?

I have found with Active Sync 3.x that I had to log into the machine as the domain administrator to install or upgrade, despite my usual login being a member of the domain administrators group and I having local admin rights as well.

Guest nowimboard

Oh dam you Microsoft!

Apparently I can install Windows becuase i dont have a 100% techincaly legal copy!

I am NOT forking out loads of money JUST so I can get my phone to sync.

Oh grrr Im annoyed. Just becuase I have the dell factory version! Oh this is fooking pants! pants pants pants!

Surely it tells you to contact dell or some other method to legalise your version?

More and more toys and updates will require validation, so it's as well to get it sorted now.

Guest rhaleuk
Oh dam you Microsoft!

Apparently I can install Windows becuase i dont have a 100% techincaly legal copy!

I am NOT forking out  loads of money JUST so I can get my phone to sync. 

Oh grrr Im annoyed.  Just becuase I have the dell factory version!  Oh this is fooking pants!  pants pants pants!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats total BS! Just because your copy of Windows is "OEM" from Dell does not make it any less legal and should therefore be fully supported. I would be on the phone to Microsoft ASAP (although god knows what department you'd need to speak to for that!)

Edited by rhaleuk

Guest nowimboard
Thats total BS!  Just because your copy of Windows is "OEM" from Dell does not make it any less legal and should therefore be fully supported.  I would be on the phone to Microsoft ASAP (although god knows what department you'd need to speak to for that!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I would do. But to be perfectly honest with you, I brought it on myself.

As my laptops not dell. But the windows xp prof I have was given to me.

So really I have no reason to moan, just its so annoying. The main reason I have a smart phoen is for sync'ing calenders!