M5000 - Microsoft Voice Command

Guest ukdaves

Guest ukdaves

Am I correct in thinking that Microsoft Voice Command is not available on the M5000 - if not, is it possible to buy it?

I notice that MS's site says that the software (v1.5) is for Windows Mobile 2003, but understand that some OEM's have included the software in their Windows Mobile 5 devices? Am I correct?

Is this a new version which hasn't been made available for sale yet?

Just had the funniest call to microsoft - they don't have a clue :?: - effectively said I would have to pay for technical pre-sales support just to find out whether it would run on WM5! :roll:

ta muchly,d*

Guest Peter Foot
Am I correct in thinking that Microsoft Voice Command is not available on the M5000 - if not, is it possible to buy it?

I notice that MS's site says that the software (v1.5) is for Windows Mobile 2003, but understand that some OEM's have included the software in their Windows Mobile 5 devices? Am I correct?

Just had the funniest call to microsoft - they don't have a clue  :?: - effectively said I would have to pay for technical pre-sales support just to find out whether it would run on WM5!  :roll:

ta muchly,d*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can confirm it does work on the Universal, Microsoft won't support you using it on WM 5.0 but I bought it for my iMate Jam and have installed it on my JasJar instead and haven't had any problems (I installed the cab file manually, not sure if the regular install through ActiveSync works...

I also had to manually set the button assignments as by default it assigned Voice Command to the Contacts hardware button. I changed this to the Speech bubble button which normally opens the built in HTC voice dial app.

There are some useful registry tweaks here including one to hook your bluetooth headset up to call Voice Command when the button is pressed - very slick.

http://wiki.Bad Link.com/index.php?p...versal_Registry

Peter

Guest breezy69

Peter - could you please repost link?

Thanks

Breezy

Just had the funniest call to microsoft - they don't have a clue  :?: - effectively said I would have to pay for technical pre-sales support just to find out whether it would run on WM5!  :roll:

ta muchly,d*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get a registry editor and do the following:

Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\VoiceCommand]

Change the string value marked "path" to read: "\program files\voice command\voicecmd.exe" without the quotes.

• 7 months later...
Guest Blakey
Get a registry editor and do the following:

Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\VoiceCommand]

Change the string value marked "path" to read: "\program files\voice command\voicecmd.exe" without the quotes.

I have set up this registry hack but when I press the button on my headset all that happens is that I hear a buzzing noise in my headphones (if there was music playing on the phone the music which was playing is piped into my headset) and voice command pops up the microphone icon on the status bar. But voice command then doesn't seem to take any notice of what I say. It just ignores me.

I've installed v1.50 of Microsoft Voice Command, UK version.

Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Blakey

Edited by Blakey

Guest Shuflie
I have set up this registry hack but when I press the button on my headset all that happens is that I hear a buzzing noise in my headphones (if there was music playing on the phone the music which was playing is piped into my headset) and voice command pops up the microphone icon on the status bar. But voice command then doesn't seem to take any notice of what I say. It just ignores me.

I've installed v1.50 of Microsoft Voice Command, UK version.

Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Blakey

It only works with the screen open, and you need to speak into the phone's mic not the bluetooth headset.

Guest Blakey
It only works with the screen open, and you need to speak into the phone's mic not the bluetooth headset.

Only works with the screen open? That's a bit disappointing!

I'll try it and report back...

Thanks for the help though!!

Blakey

Guest Blakey

Tried it with the screen open but still no luck.

I have a Motorola HT820 and a Jabra 250 and neither is working - I just get static in my ear and the microphone icon appears and Voice Command totally ignores me.

Any further suggestions?

Blakey

Guest Blakey

Hi Shuflie,

Are you saying that even with a bluetooth headset I have to speak into the actual physical phone to give it voice commands - that I can't talk into the bluetooth headset? If so, isn't that pants??!?

I tried the built in voice dial software and so far that has two major advantages that I can see: -

1. It works with the lid closed.

2. It works fine through my BT headphones (HT820).

I can add voice tags to start applications (e.g. music player, tom tom) and also for given contacts for phoning. Okay, I can't do things like check my appointments or skip tracks and so on with the built in application but for car use where all I really want to do is make calls whilst the phone is shut up safe in my glove compartment it works a treat.

Anyone using MS Voice Command successfully through a BT headset?

Thanks chaps!

Blakey

Guest Shuflie
Hi Shuflie,

Are you saying that even with a bluetooth headset I have to speak into the actual physical phone to give it voice commands - that I can't talk into the bluetooth headset? If so, isn't that pants??!?

I tried the built in voice dial software and so far that has two major advantages that I can see: -

1. It works with the lid closed.

2. It works fine through my BT headphones (HT820).

I can add voice tags to start applications (e.g. music player, tom tom) and also for given contacts for phoning. Okay, I can't do things like check my appointments or skip tracks and so on with the built in application but for car use where all I really want to do is make calls whilst the phone is shut up safe in my glove compartment it works a treat.

Anyone using MS Voice Command successfully through a BT headset?

Thanks chaps!

Blakey

Yes, that's what I was saying. It was all explained on one of the microsoft blog pages, apparently the speech recognition engine that that use for voice command requires a higher bit rate than bluetooth can give (I think it's 16bit and bluetooth only gives 8bit). The voice dialler software built into the phone was designed to be used on a phone edition PPC from the start and because it has less work to do (i.e. only recognise one voice not hundereds of thousands of variations, and it already has a smaple to compare against) it gets away with the limited bandwidth of bluetooth. Unless the voice command team do a total rewrite of the speech recognition engine its unlikely to change any time soon. If you really want to use voice command and keep your phone in the glove compartment you could always try connecting the handsfree kit to it and route the microphone outside it, haven't tried this myself so I don't know it will work or not.

Guest VulakAerr

Voice Command works fine for me over bluetooth. I am using the UK version 1.5 with the lid open. The only problem I have is with background noise so I tend to wind the windows up before even attempting it. You don't need to speak into the phone mic. Speaking into the headset works perfectly.

Guest Shuflie
Voice Command works fine for me over bluetooth. I am using the UK version 1.5 with the lid open. The only problem I have is with background noise so I tend to wind the windows up before even attempting it. You don't need to speak into the phone mic. Speaking into the headset works perfectly.

Try it with the phone in the glove compartment, or just put your finger over the mic input on the phone to block any sound coming in that way. You'd be surprised just how far away from the phone mic you can be and still have it pick up what you're saying. I used it for ages as a way of controling media player with my MDA pro hooked up to my stereo, haven't put it back on again since upgrade to the latest T-mobile rom since ti doesn't play very well with opera, eats up all the dll space and opera has trouble starting.