T-Mobile MDA Vario (HTC Wizard) on general sale

Guest Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

As reported by member Terrapin here the HTC Wizard has now been released by T-Mobile on general sale as the MDA Vario, available from both telesales and in T-Mobile stores now.

The MDA Vario is the first incarnation of the HTC Wizard officially taken on by a UK Mobile Provider, a major achievement by T-Mobile, but the launch is surely set to cause some 'problems' to T-Mobile. Why? Well take a look at the extract from their November/December edition of T-Mobiles catalogue 'Latest'...

post-2910-1131128324_thumb.jpg

Spot the mistake? Well, according to T-Mobile (and this spec is being quoted by every T-Mobile rep I've spoken to over the phone over the last few days) the Vario is complete with video calling and a 2nd cif camera! This is certainly wrong, as it has long been common knowledge that the HTC Wizard device has ONE 1.3megapixel camera, no second cif camera, and unless T-Mobile have pulled off something remarkable on the software side, no video calling.

There's not even any evidence of it having the hardware necessary to deliver 3G download speeds (the device doesn't offer UMTS). Nor did T-Mobile Germany make any 3G claims on recently releasing the MDA Vario over there.

So, one giant step forward would seem to have unfortunately been accompanied by one giant blunder. :?:

Will the device still sell? Well, I'm mighty tempted, 3G or no, and I don't see any release dates coming from the other UK Mobile providers...

Guest dolphinsmile

I remember when the c500 was released it had an FM radio built in according to all there adverts and posters. I never took mine back once I found out it didn’t.

Long live the Universal

I have had my K-Jam for three days It is, for me, the perfect device, no where near as large as the M2000 or XDAII but with all the functionality. It's the biz 8)

Guest Pondrew

Glad you're liking the Wizard. Very impressive piece of equipment and SO compact and phone-like (I'm actually not sure I want my Pocket PC Phone to have a screen that small but that's just me).

T-Mobile will certainly survive what little embarrasment their claims of video calling bring but I'd still be interested to hear if their reps are now aware of the mistake...

Guest carphead
Glad you're liking the Wizard. Very impressive piece of equipment and SO compact and phone-like (I'm actually not sure I want my Pocket PC Phone to have a screen that small but that's just me).

I thought the same until I brought my K-Jam. It really is the dogs B's.

Can't get over how handy it is over my c500. The keyboard is really cool. 8)

Ordered mine this morning through telesales. Only had 11 left and that was an hour ago so be quick if you want one.

be interested to hear if their reps are now aware of the mistake...

Didn't mention any mistake to me.

Edited by mdrowe

Guest steve_smith
Ordered mine this morning through telesales. Only had 11 left and that was an hour ago so be quick if you want one.

Make that 10 ;)

Just ordered mine for delivery on Thursday (not home until then) on the Web and Walk 200 tarrif. Half price for 12 months.

I also opted for the insurance, but am now having second thoughts (£7.99 a month...).

Anyone like to comment on whether T-Mobile's insurance is worth while? Seems rather dear when Orange only charged £5 a month (and supposedly offer a superior service).

Steve.

Just ordered mine :D

Hello T-Mobile, goodbye Orange.

Couldn't find it on the website, so ordered it by phone. Seemed like good service, but I suppose it would be when they're trying to sell you something.

How much do think a 10 month old C500 is worth ;)

Guest The G Man

I just ordered my MDA Vario on T-Mobile TeleSales business orders. (Don't know how many are left now in stock – I should have asked)

Customer service was extremely helpful and they assure me that it will be here tomorrow! Can't wait.

I went for the 'Web n Walk 100' - That's 100 minutes and 40MB of surf time a month for £28 (£13 for 12 months!) + 100 Texts for an additional £6

I'm paying £60 for the handset but you can get it for free on 'Web n Walk 200'. I don't need 200 minutes so the 100 should work out cheaper for me.

I was offered the insurance at 2 months for free with the option to cancel but I feel that the extra £8 a month is not really worth it (unless you break it that is).

I was also informed that the phone comes with a block on adult content being accessed. Good news for those of us who want to avoid that!

The only downside is the 18-month contract... the Vario will probably feel like a dinosaur in 12 months time and we techies don't like owning 'old technology'.

I'm a happy man. And I already have a friend who wants to buy my c500!

I'll let you know my first impressions. How am I ever going to concentrate on my work now? ;)

Guest Pondrew
The only downside is the 18-month contract... the Vario will probably feel like a dinosaur in 12 months time and we techies don't like owning 'old technology'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know that feeling. My MDA III contract isn't due an upgrade for another 9months! Good job it still cuts the mustard 8)

Besides, I'm due an upgrade on my Orange contract soon...

This phone is going to be released soon by o2 UK.  Its on the company intranet site.  Tho with the correct specs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Frenzied_dancer,

Do they mention a date for the phone yet? What about info on pricing?

I know it is described under the name of XDA mini s with the name Wizard in brackets ( ), but it's been on their system for at least 2 weeks without mention of a specific release date. I was in a store on Saturday morning and the manager told me that it just says it should be released in November in the system.

I'm out of contract with Orange and itching to buy the O2 XDA Exec, even though I know it is bigger than what I need (I currently have a Treo 600). I will get the O2 version of the Wizard as soon as it is released.

I don't want to go for T-mobile because their pricing seems steep to me: 20p per txt abroad, compared to O2's 12p (with the International package - which is free for students with a valid NUS card)

Loukas

Edited by Loukas

Still 4 months til i can upgrade my tmob contract (or cancel it to get the web n walk)

Damnit!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually bit the bullet and just ordered the MDA Vario through telesales.

Here are some figures for you:

T-mobile: 18mth contract, Web n'Walk, 200mins + 40mb download

200 mins + 40mb download: £16 x 12mths + £35 x 6 mths = £402

100txts : £6 pm x 18mths = £108

Total cost: £510 with free handset or £28.33 per month

O2: 12mth contract, 200mins + 100txts

(assuming handset is free, which we don't know yet)

200mins + 100txts (in store, WHEN they get them): £30 per month

Therefore, even assuming that the O2 XDA Mini S will be free on the 200mins contract, T-Mobile seems to come out cheaper still.

Of course, if you add insurance (O2 = £5pm, T-mob £8pm with 2 months free) things start to even out.

However, keep in mind that T-mob is offering 40mb of free download, which is excellent. Combined with WiFi browsing this should be plenty for me, no need for more.

I did the math and decided to go for T-mob. Will be getting the handset tomorrow morning. Only downside is 18 mth contract, but.... what can you do?

There's still handsets available, first come first served! ;)

Loukas

PS:

I actually asked the lady if I could get the handset unlocked, and she said "yeah sure, no problem, just call customer services once you have the handset and they should be able to unlock it for you for £10 or so"!! If this works, it will be excellent!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.