Introducing Mobile Speech 1.0

Guest Disco Stu

Guest Disco Stu

source : MSmobiles.com

November 05, 2005 [General]Great news, a competitor to the the widely popular Voice Command from Microsoft is now available. MobileSpeech 1.0 offers the ability to dial and start applications from not only Windows Mobile Pocket PC but also Windows Mobile Smartphone devices. The new application is priced at a very reasonable $15.95.

homepage : Lab9 Solutions

Lab9 is creating the next generation of applications and development tools for mobile devices, based on speech recognition technologies.

Lab9 employs a unique and highly efficient Fluent Operating Interface for all speech-based applications and services.

MobileSpeech is a Speech Enabled Contact & Digit Dialer, Program Launcher and Lookup Service with a uniquely Fluent Operating style for efficient Hands & Eyes free operation.

I've been disappointed with the previous voice-dialling (ahem) solutions for Smartphones so will be giving this a good workout today ;)

MobileSpeech is also available for Pocket PC and is somewhat cheaper than the otherwise excellent MS Voice Command.

Guest JamShady

But with Voice Command, you can also play music (via artist, genre, album, or random) and also find out your upcoming appointments as well as other little bits of info (signal strength, date/time, etc).

I use my PPC in my car to play music (it's a free jukebox ;)) so the requirement for me to be able to select what I want to listen to by voice is invaluable, I shall be sticking to VC for the moment.

Mind you, I've not checked if MobileSpeech does not offer this, but there's been no mention of it so I presume not.

Guest Disco Stu

I've had too many interruptions to have played with it much but I was flagging it as a Smartphone application really.

MS seem to have forgotten that they were developing a version of Voice Command for Smartphones. ;)

Guest Disco Stu

First impressions :

1. Does not support UK dialling. Does not support + or 0 as leading digit in a phone number, even if using "Dial-name-Gillian Anderson" (for example ;) ) to use stored numbers in Contacts.

2. Program launch function is limited to the pre-installed MS applications - Contacts, Calendar, Calculator etc.

3. Slow response is frustrating.

4. Too easily distracted by Alan Green ranting away in background.

5. As JamShady says above, lacks the 'talking appointments' cuteness of MS Voice Command.

:D

Any US members tried this yet ?

Guest JamShady
MS seem to have forgotten that they were developing a version of Voice Command for Smartphones.  ;)

:??:

I've got MS Voice Command 1.5 for Smart Phones, I was using it with my SPV E200 (got an M2000 now), and my wife is using it with her SPV C500. It has all the same features as the PPC version.

Guest Disco Stu
:??:

I've got MS Voice Command 1.5 for Smart Phones, I was using it with my SPV E200 (got an M2000 now), and my wife is using it with her SPV C500. It has all the same features as the PPC version.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So where did you get it from ?

Guest JamShady

Someone was kind enough to send me it a while back. I don't know where it originally came from, but it wasn't from a legit source ('cos as far as I'm aware, it's not on sale). It's also the UK version so it'll recognise UK numbers etc.

Edited by JamShady

Guest lab9ken

Pardon my faux-pas if vendors are not supposed to reply directly on this forum. I expect to be shushed if I broke protocol.

UK local dialing is being added, with feedback and help from our friends over the pond (thanx). Expect a patch real soon, for this and other countries.

There is a customization for adding to the list of launch programs. It's not elegant, but it is serviceable:

http://www.lab9solutions.com/labs/launch_custom.html

Some operations are slower than others (especially on Smartphones vs. PPC's). I challenge anyone to a voice verses finger, dialing race though ;-)

Background noise can be tolerated, to some degree. Background talking (TV or live) is almost impossible to recognize through. Sorry.

We are not as cute or functional as MS VC, but they've had a little longer to work on it ;-)

Finally, someone noted a download problem with the SMP version. We know about it, and have a problem report into Handango. An alternate download can be made from:

http://www.lab9solutions.com/downloads/mob...0_smp_setup.exe

Thanks Stu, for your comments, feedback and assistance.

Ken Picard

Lab9 Solutions

First impressions :

1. Does not support UK dialling. Does not support + or 0 as leading digit in a phone number, even if using "Dial-name-Gillian Anderson" (for example  ;)  ) to use stored numbers in Contacts. 

2. Program launch function is limited to the pre-installed MS applications - Contacts, Calendar, Calculator etc.

3. Slow response is frustrating.

4. Too easily distracted by Alan Green ranting away in background.

5. As JamShady says above, lacks the 'talking appointments' cuteness of MS Voice Command.

:D

Any US members tried this yet ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Disco Stu

Welcome to MoDaCo, Lab9Ken ;)

Thanks for taking the time to join the discussion. We may give you a hard time occasionally but we're always happy to try out new ideas.

Guest lab9ken

We have confirmed this installation problem on other devices, and are working on a solution.

Meanwhile, we are providing direct access to the cab file, so people can download

it to their device, then execute it on the device (by clicking the file in FileManager).

One WinMobile 5 user, still had an issue after this point, so we are starting our formal port to WM 5 as well.

http://www.lab9solutions.com/downloads/Dia...SMP2003_ARM.CAB

http://www.lab9solutions.com/downloads/Dia...PPC2003_ARM.CAB

Thanx to all,

Ken Picard

I ran it through Activesync but I get an error: Installation failed.

I have an Audiovox SMt5600 running on WM5.

Thanks,

rperalta

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 1 month later...
Guest Socrates

How do you uninstall this properly? I went to

settings: remove programs

then highlited lab9

then clicked menu:remove

Then got an error that it could not be removed!

If I just delete it from the storage card will that remove it completely or has it made registry entries, etc?

Guest lab9ken

If you got this message, then MobileSpeech was probably

running in the background (preventing the uninstall). Make sure

it's not running and try again. Worst case, reboot your phone, then

uninstall immediately.

As for manual uninstall, all files are installed under one MobileSpeech

folder (typically under \\program files). There are also a few registry

entries, but they are harmless if you don't remove them.

Unfortunately, we (like all Windows apps) rely on the MS installer

to install and uninstall applications. We have found the WinCE uninstaller

to be less than thorough.

If your uninstalling because of WinMobile 5 support, or international

dialing support, these issues have been resolved in 1.0.2, which

is now available.

Ken

How do you uninstall this properly? I went to

settings: remove programs

then highlited lab9

then clicked menu:remove

Then got an error that it could not be removed!

If I just delete it from the storage card will that remove it completely or has it made registry entries, etc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.