How do I browse files on my desktop from my Vario?

Guest Terrapin

Guest Terrapin

I've been playing around with my Vario and am trying to work out how to hook it up such that I can browse files on my desktop using the Wifi connection. If anyone has had success with this and could answer the following questions I'd very much appreciate it.

My desktop has a belkin g wireless card. Which services/protocols do I need to enable?

What type of wireless network should I set up and how?

How do I set up and then access folders on my desktop from my Vario?

Many thanks in advance!

Guest Terrapin
Otherwise go to file explorer and go \\yourdesktopname.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I've tried that with both my desktop name and IP however file explorer gives a "network path not found" error each time. If you could answer the questions I posed in the original post I should be able to track down where my problem lies.

Nothing special, just used the network set up wizard to enable file shares on my desktop (also sharing the odd folder via right click) and away I went - network is just a router hooked up to a modem with WEP - maybe you need to enable your guest account? Trying out the standard file explorer, it can't find the shares at all. Give resco a try (14 day trial) while rummaging or total commander (free) http://www.ghisler.com/pocketpc.htm.

Edited by Emad

Guest jon_hooper
I've been playing around with my Vario and am trying to work out how to hook it up such that I can browse files on my desktop using the Wifi connection. If anyone has had success with this and could answer the following questions I'd very much appreciate it.

My desktop has a belkin g wireless card. Which services/protocols do I need to enable?

What type of wireless network should I set up and how?

How do I set up and then access folders on my desktop from my Vario?

Many thanks in advance!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am presuming that you haven't got a wireless access point or a wireless broadband router?

If so you will need to start a peer-peer network which you initiate from your main PC using the "set up wireless network wizard" on XP follow the wizard through and make sure that you share at least one folder.

once your main PC is up and running find the network you have initiated and connect to it entering the WPA/WEP key when prompted.

You do not have to change any of the default protocols that XP enables by default.

Now open File Explorer

Menu>Open Path>New Path

then type \\PCs NAME\SHARED FOLDER NAME

eg \\homepc\shared music

and the device should show the contents of that shared folder!

Guest Terrapin

Ah HA! Fixed it. Turns out that I had to enable the guest account on XP.

File explorer still won't see the shares but Total Commander is doing a sterling job. Thanks for the help everyone!

Guest shadamehr

Does anyone therefore think, having read all this, that a third party app for the SmartPhone platform might eventually allow my SP5 to browse the network like this?

Guest stretchy

I'm kinda new to this, I have recently bought a wireless router to enable me to use my cable broadband with my vario. I have set this up and using it fine, however I would also like to browse my desktop for files etc when downstairs. I have followed the posts in this thread but with no great success. I tried the wireless network wizard on my desktop but it just saves the settings to a flash key or prints the settings. I had some success with Total commander, but only when connected via active sync, and even then a selected music file would give a wrong paramater error? I have the guest account switched on, and one folder shared at the moment, but no joy on viewing files.

Stretchy

Guest adchaffey
Ah HA! Fixed it. Turns out that I had to enable the guest account on XP.

File explorer still won't see the shares but Total Commander is doing a sterling job. Thanks for the help everyone!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im getting the same problem you had...

I've managed to browse my shared documents from total commander, and I do have a guest account set up but still can't actually access many files. Keeps coming up with errors like "Unable to Load File".

Strangely, I can view PDF's that are shared, but images and music files won't open?!?!

Any advice?

Guest Terrapin

If you can see the files with total commander you should be able to open them. However, not all programs will open files shared over a network. The built in microsoft media player for instance refuses to open any mp3s or movies but TCPMP (an alternative free media player) will quite happily play them if you browse to the relevant file within TCPMP.

I have yet to try viewing images.