changing alarm ringtone?

Guest afhstingray

Guest Disco Stu

While I've got my Jam out.....hope it's the same ;)

Drop your nice loud wav file into the main Windows folder (not \Storage \Windows and not the Rings folder either) and go to Start, Settings and choose the System tab.

Hit 'Clock & Alarms' and choose the Alarms tab.

Now this is the tricky bit : tap and hold the bell icon - if you get the clock you didn't hold the stylus down properly !

You should get a Settings page with a drop-down menu with your wav file somewhere in the list.

Please tell me this is common to all Pocket PCs because otherwise this will be the second bum steer I've given tonight ! :D

Guest mthomas50

OK on my M5000 you change the alarm tone as follows:

1. Start - Settings - System tab - Clocks and Alarms

2. Tick a check-box next to the alarm you want to set and set the time/day criteria as required

3. Click on the bell icon next to the alarm you have just created (no need to press and hold)

4. A new window will appear to adjust extra options - the one you need is the drop down box next to play sound...

Posted from my M5000... ;)

EDIT: so to answer your question Disco Stu it is the same, at least it is on my device :D

Edited by mthomas50

Guest Disco Stu

My next guess is that they are not PCM-format.

Get them back to the PC.

Load them into Windows Sound Explorer (in Programs, Accessories, Entertainment - File, Open) and then Save As...

Change format to PCM and Attributes to...umm...something or other.....Mono is best...the rest can be experimented with for volume and clarity.

If that doesn't help then I'm stumped :?:

I havent seen any PPC running wm2003 (se, 2005) that did not have what Stu has mentioned.

The list for the sound files will only update when you first go into it. This means that the sound files must already be in the windows directory before going into the alarm app. Might be as simple as that.

I do know that wm2005 will not like to play wav files as large as wm2003(se). I had a 6mb file once that worked on wm2003(se) but not on wm2005.

Anyway if the standard alarm isnt doing it for you there are 3rd party one that can be googled ;)

Guest mthomas50

I have successfully added WAV files into this list by copying files into the following location

Mobile Device\My Windows Mobile-Based Device\Windows

I then went straight to the Alarm section (no restart required)

The sound was listed (PCM WAV file)

Regards

I have successfully added WAV files into this list by copying files into the following location

Mobile Device\My Windows Mobile-Based Device\Windows

I then went straight to the Alarm section (no restart required)

The sound was listed (PCM WAV file)

Regards

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the right place alright. I would hope that no one was putting their sound files into the windows directory on their PC??

Guest afhstingray

i found the problem.......i just copied my sounds from my old typhoon, and i just realised they were midi files, not wav ...... :roll:

guess im going to have to start looking for a converter software, or can someone recommend a good place to find wav ringtones?

Edited by afhstingray

• 2 months later...
Guest geraintwd

Anyone know of a way to make MIDI files work as alarm tones on the Universal (MDA Pro)? I have an Orange SPV C500 that has this ability and it seems strange that a device as powerful as the Universal would not have this.

Thanks