Using the Right Soft Key tweak? You need this!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

The registry tweak for changing the right hand soft key is great! I have mine set to 'New SMS' now, and it's far more useful than the Contacts button every was (firstly because you have a dedicated contacts button the Typhoon, but secondly because you can just SmartDial all your contacts anyway!)

The real downside is that when you reboot, the phone behaves strangely and you have to go in to the registry and edit, press, then edit back your settings for it to work again.

Well... the attached CAB is a partial work around!

After installing the CAB, a new program will run in your Startup group that makes a small registry tweak every time you reboot.

What this means is that the Right Soft Key (SK2 to use the technical term) will return to it's correct 'tweaked' value simply by pressing it once.

Not perfect... but a definite improvement!

Enjoy! ;)

P

Startup_Assistant.CAB

The registry tweak for changing the right hand soft key is great! I have mine set to 'New SMS' now, and it's far more useful than the Contacts button every was (firstly because you have a dedicated contacts button the Typhoon, but secondly because you can just SmartDial all your contacts anyway!)

The real downside is that when you reboot, the phone behaves strangely and you have to go in to the registry and edit, press, then edit back your settings for it to work again.

Well... the attached CAB is a partial work around!

After installing the CAB, a new program will run in your Startup group that makes a small registry tweak every time you reboot.

What this means is that the Right Soft Key (SK2 to use the technical term) will return to it's correct 'tweaked' value simply by pressing it once.

Not perfect... but a definite improvement!

Enjoy! ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Paul,

I am getting my new SP5 tomorrow so I will spend the day adding a few tweaks!!

Guest UniqueTouch

Paul,

I've the tweak manually so that my SK2 is set to play \windows\wmplayer.exe and it is called "MediaPlayer".

Will this patch change that to "Media" or to what I set it to? :-k

Thanks

P.s. Keep these tweaks coming ;)/

Guest chrisc28

Was wondering if we could emulate the buttons being pressed? This way, we can emulate the right soft key being pressed once upon startup, although this will also mean launching that program upon startup.

Guest HerpezP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This sounds like quite a long workaround? I would love to have the right soft key set to something like New SMS, but I restart my phone about once a day, so this will probably be more annoying than beneficial...

Guest chrisc28
This sounds like quite a long workaround? I would love to have the right soft key set to something like New SMS, but I restart my phone about once a day, so this will probably be more annoying than beneficial...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which is why you NEED this tweak. ;)

Guest HerpezP
Which is why you NEED this tweak.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh, thanks man, I've read it the wrong way. I thought this was the tweak and it had those problem. This is more like a tweak for the tweak then, I guess :D

Could your tell me if the program that runs the small registry tweak at start up will close itself again, or is it too small to notice anyway. I don't mind my phone being a couple of seconds slower to boot up, but I hate wasting me RAM ;)

Guest HerpezP

Thanks for the reply.

But it actually looks like I don't need this...

I made the keys and strings as described in the other thread, but couldn't get it to open a new SMS directly, only open the default inbox listing (the -service Inbox thing didn't work for me). So I figured I'd try to install the CAB file that would do the same and it worked like a charm, and I don't even need to press it after a reboot, it's saying "New SMS" from the start ;)

Only little downside is I would have liked it a little better in my native language (Danish = "Ny SMS" :D ), but it's not that big of a deal. If I change the the value of the string, so that I will get my own language it WILL go back to "New SMS", so maybe this tweak is already included in that CAB file, or something like that... It's called "rSoft_NewSMS_v2.CAB" and I think it's attached in the other thread... I'm too tired to check it out now :-)

Edited by HerpezP

Guest nickcornaglia

I was trying and trying to get this to work for a new SMS. I got it to go as far as the Messaging List.

But I ran the rSoft cab file and that worked fine!

Guest HerpezP

Looks like I'm not the only one who couldn't get it to work with my own code ;)

I thought about what happened if I changed the text "New SMS" to "Ny SMS" in the _setup.xml in the cab file? Or is this possible at all - to extract the files from the cab file and put them back into a new one? Or do you have to fiddle around with inf files etc. to make a new cab file? Tried to search after something but couldn't find anything.

Guest nickcornaglia

Noticed that the can file opens the last open account rather than directly to SMS.

So if I last accessed my POP3 account, then it creates a new email instead of an SMS.

Also, has anyone noticed their keys locking up? Didnt happen before I ran this cab. (happened twice). The phone isnt locked, just the number keys are.

Guest HerpezP

Thanks chucky.egg, it seems to work fine ;)

I also just checked - it does indeed create a new message depending on which inbox you last had open. I don't think this is much of a problem for me though, as I seldom use other than the SMS inbox. I can see it beeing a problem for others though...

I haven't noticed any of my keys locking up, but I haven't used it that much since I installed the cab, so I hope I won't run into problems.

Also, I don't know how much this has to say, but I have a C500 (wrong forum, I know :D), so that could maybe cause some differences?

Edited by HerpezP

Guest nickcornaglia

Paul:

I assume you are referring to the way to change the name from New SMS to Ny SMS.

Just a note:

The cab file mentioned was made for WM2003 devices. There is no Storage folder in WM5 but the cab file is creating one and all the subfolders under it.

Guest HerpezP

Paul: The problem was, when I rebooted the text changed back to New SMS, even though I edited the value to Ny SMS. Maybe it would have changed back to Ny SMS if I had pressed the right soft key once, but anyway, now it works fine.

If it's possible to make it work, so that it will always take you to a new SMS (and not new e-mail or MMS), I would install that too, although, as said, not that big of a problem for me.