M5000 as a replacement for a desktop computer?

Guest eggedd2k

Guest eggedd2k

Since getting my m5000 last Friday i've been considering the various uses it could have - from both a personal and business point of view.

Today I installed the VNC viewer software on the m5000 and it lets me remotely control my office desktop computer - plus all of our other workstations (I'm the IT Manager - we use it for remote support).

I'm giving some serious thought to the possibility of not having a desktop PC - instead using my m5000 to it's full capability just using vnc to access a spare computer in the office with all the apps on it i use. this would also work when i'm not in the office.

any views on this? i just thought that with the m5000 practically being a laptop it makes sense to possibly use it instead of a desktop pc.

You could also try RDP and Citrix to give you access to desktops and or applications.

Im just installing a Citrix presentation server to perform this function and to provide access to a particular set of applications.

Guest eggedd2k

I certainly think it could be used as a desktop replacement I albeit a gradual one. i've not used terminal services before but vnc certainly looks like it'll do what I want. if I need to do some graphics work or web design i'd just have to go sit at the remote pc.

let me know how you get on guys - ill do the same

Guest VulakAerr

I've played with Terminal Services on this now too. Bluetooth connect to my desktop and then across the network to TS into a server. Absolutely incredible response times. I am extremely happy with this.

Guest eggedd2k

yup. we've been using the two main versions of vnc for the pocketpc today. we can access every program we normally use on a pc plus we can remotely connect to any workstation in the office and carry out remote desktop support.

i'm gonna stick my office computer in a cupboard tomorrow and just use the m5000.