General C550 Newbie Questions

Guest mo_sjo

Guest saqmaster

Hi all,

This is my first post. I've had a quick search around but i'm after some difinitive answers if possible ;)

1) What is the correct process for getting ringtones/sounds onto the C550 so you can use them as ringtones, alerts, etc.?

2) Is there any way to edit the themes, for example I want a new background picture (which I can do by going to album and telling it to use select picture as home page), but I dont want the theme to block out most of the home page photo, ya know? What is the correct place to drop images/sounds for use within the phones profiles interface?

3) Sat Nav. I've seen some threads about TomTom hacks. Is there a solution (for the UK) which works on the C550 out the box? If not, which is the best way to go abouts it? I heard from a friend that TomTom (I think) ran very, very slowly on his C500.

Many thanks

Stu

Edited by saqmaster

Guest davejerome

1) Your best bet is to edit your MP3's/WMA's on your pc with a basic sound editor (no need for adobe audition!). Get just just bit you want for your ring tone (baring in mind that songs with long intros will you will not really hear before voice mail kicks in!). Save the file in your storage\application data\sounds on the C550 via activesync.

I suggest wav format as i believe it to sound best and size should not be a problem as your edited clip should only be about 20 seconds.

If you do this and it plays distorted, rerecord it again but with a lower volume.

2) Home page editing is not somthing that I have much knowledge about. There is a Homescreen designer program for the C500 by Ruttensoft, it is currently being converted to C550 and C600.

Hopefully someone else will post about Homescreens because that is all my knowledge about them.

3)Satnav - Route 66 will work out of the box but TomTom is much better in my view. There is an official fix coming out this month so you will not have to touch the registry. I don't know for sure but most the people on here that have problems with TomTom are because the using a 3rd party GPS because their Tomtom one has broken (or was not included with the download from K azaa). TomTom works fine with C500 and if you follow the simple guide works fine with C550... ...if you have a legal copy.

Edited by davejerome

Guest nevawlkalone

For the main ringtones mp3 is needed and the messages MUST be WAV!!! and stored inb storage\application data\sounds

Ruttensoft have not yet released this and like many others we are waiting! xml editing is you best shot if you want to have a go your self or download some from the download area on modaco. Most screens come woth instructions however if not extract the files and paste them into storage\application data\home

Not sure about sat nav as i have no use for it. I use one of my PPC's for that generally, but even that is infrequent!

hope this clears up any loose ends, if any of this info is wrong people please correct me!

Cheers

M

Edited by nevawlkalone

Guest davejerome

Right you were nevawlkalone. I have edited some of my post to make the thread correct.

Still Not 100% sure about your MP3 / WAV only theory. Oh well, I will find out tonight.

Guest saqmaster

Hi,

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I wasn't really after advice on how to edit audio files, more of a case on how to use them properly within the C550. For example, I just dumped a WAV file in the Storage\My Documents\My Sounds folder but I cannot use this file from the phone settings menu. I want to use this file as my ringtone. How can I do this? Same applies to using custom sounds for other sound settings.

Oddly, when browsing to this folder, WMP doesn't see any files in it. Does WMP not support WAV files? Seems very quirky.

Thanks

Stu 8)