SP5 Media Player videos half size

Guest nwinton

Guest nwinton

My videos play with a thick black border which shrinks the video to half the size of the screen.

I've looked at the various postings and tried a registry editor to see about changing the preferences but the SP5 doesn't seem to have the registry keys mentioned in the posts (maybe those were for an earlier version of Windows Mobile). ;)

Nor does WM10 on my PC allow for control over the conversion of videos to QVGA - it only offers a "quality" setting.

Does anyone have a solution as the only full screen movie I have played is the countdown file already loaded on the phone?

Edited by nwinton

same situation.

the only software i have found that will do it is mytvtogo but i would much rather use wm10 with media center.

wm10 is converting the files to 1/4 qvga size. which is why there is a massive border.

help anyone?

Guest nwinton

Isn't it possible to configure Windows Media Player 10 to encode to an appropriate image size for the SP5?

I would prefer not to run another application when Media Player is supposed to do the job.

Guest UniqueTouch
Isn't it possible to configure Windows Media Player 10 to encode to an appropriate image size for the SP5?

I would prefer not to run another application when Media Player is supposed to do the job.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes...

In Media Player (on the phone), goto the following dialog...

Menu > Options > Video

Change "Play video in full screen:" to Always.

Not sure if you have tick/untick "Scale to fit window" checkbox.

Hope that helps.

Edited by UniqueTouch

Guest nwinton
Yes...

In Media Player (on the phone), goto the following dialog...

Menu > Options > Video

Change "Play video in full screen:" to Always.

Not sure if you have tick/untick "Scale to fit window" checkbox.

Hope that helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the suggestion but all that does is rotate the image on the screen.

Ticking "Scale to fit window" has no effect.

From other posts it might be something to do with the conversion process on the PC before syncing the file but I don't have any details.

Guest shadamehr

Matterless anyway folks...

As I have some more bad news...

If you use Windows Movie Maker, or Photo Story, to create 'photo story' videos in .wmv format, these apps WILL allow you to easily set the image resolution, by using a setting such as Video for pocket pc, 320x240.

Problem is, play them back on the phone, use '0' to full screen them to the CORRECT full screen size, and the video is jerky, and flickery..

I hjave tried all sorts of encoding settings etc, and cannot fix this.

So in any event, it seems that the new bigger screen on the SP5, means that the processor in the phone is struggling to playback .wmv at 320x240 resolution sizes...

Was this the case on the C550 does anyone know?

Its seriously peeving me off, becasue before I got my SP5 I encoded all my old c500 photo story videos into the new screen size for my sp5 for when it arrived.

I'm not happy about this...

Anyone at all gmanaged to get 320x240 wmv to play smooth on the SP5? Or even on the C550?

well, not tried with wmv but with mpg4 no problem. 320x240 is fine. i'm using a data rate of around 200. that seems pretty smooth.

but still doesn't solve the windows media 10 problem. (sp5 here btw)

• 1 month later...
Guest lopezpm
well, not tried with wmv but with mpg4 no problem. 320x240 is fine. i'm using a data rate of around 200. that seems pretty smooth.

but still doesn't solve the windows media 10 problem. (sp5 here btw)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has anyone found a soluion to this yet?

Guest shadamehr

Now that I have finally got WM10 (on the PC) to actually SEE my phone, I sync'ed loads of videos over to it yesterday.

Only to find that just as documented here, they were thimbnail size 9on the phone.

Let me be clear - the actual resolution that they get resized down to when they sync, was tiny.

So telling the phone to play full screen is NOT an answer.

It seems to me, that Microsoft have not taken 320x240 screens into account, where WM10 on the PC is concerned, as there is no way to sync at this screen size.

DOH.

Guest lopezpm

Some videos work and some don't. But your absolutely right, the answer is not checking or not checking the scale video to window option. It doesn't matter wether it is checked or not. Is there anyway to change the video on the PC to the correct resolution and then transfer it to the phone? I don't know if it matter but I am using the 2125.