Tmobile wont port my number to another contract

Guest fallwood

Guest fallwood

Went to the tmobile shop yesterday to look at the new mda vario, its just what I need as its got built in wi-fi and a tiny pull out keyboard. My existing contract doesnt run out till feb so I was gonna give my mda compact to the wife and get a new contract with the vario. Apparently for some reason tmobile say they cant move my number from my existing contract to the new contract, they told me that I would have to transfer the number to another provider before they could port it back to their network onto the new contract. Ive had the same mobile number for the last 10 yrs and have never had any problems with other providers porting the number to another contract , are tmobile just being awkward or is iit true that they cant move numbers to different contracts within their own network.

Guest Pondrew
Ive done it twice with orange without any problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Surely not when still within a contract? As in they wouldn't let you transfer the number until AFTER the 12/18months is up (and I wasn't even sure they'd let u do that!)?

Guest fallwood
Surely not when still within a contract? As in they wouldn't let you transfer the number until AFTER the 12/18months is up (and I wasn't even sure they'd let u do that!)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I offered to pay up the remainder of the contract and then open a new contract wih my old number ported over, they couldnt even do this.

I've tried this before and I don't know of any operators that will do this, I asked Orange a number of times and they wouldn't do it, they said they can't actually do it.

I think you'll be lucky if you can get it moved to a new contract.

Guest fallwood
You could always port it to a prepaid card on another network then to your new contract.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like thats the only option at the moment, does anyone know if there are any time restrictions on porting numbers, can I for example buy an orange payg sim port my number to it and then immediately back to my new tmobile contract.

Guest chucky.egg
I would have thought it would be easier to just swap the SIM cards...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scotty's right

Just put your SIM in the new handset and the SIM from the new contract into your old handset

Porting is a pain in the arse and takes days (during which time you can't be sure exactly when your going to get cut off)

Listen to the man... swap the SIMs

Guest fallwood
Scotty's right

Just put your SIM in the new handset and the SIM from the new contract into your old handset

Porting is a pain in the arse and takes days (during which time you can't be sure exactly when your going to get cut off)

Listen to the man... swap the SIMs

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only problem with that is I want to use the web & walk tarrif on the new phone as I use quite a bit of data. You get 40mb of data inclusive as opposed to the 6mb for £5.00 per month that i currently get. Swapping sims would mean that I would have to put the new sim back in every time I wanted to use the internet. As they are offering 12 months at half price at the moment (£13 per month) I dont want to swap my old sim to the web & walk tarrif cos I would have to pay full price and then I would have 2 contracts totaling £45 per month.

Edited by fallwood

Guest shadamehr

Just to be legal and technical (though I am only too aware, SOME operators/ATP's don't enforce this now - i.e. you CAN port from O2 high street, to O2 Online), but:

Port = Number taken from one Network, and moved to a DIFFERENT Network

- this is a legal situation with certain prescribed rights for the customer, including the assured right to do it when out of contract, though nets CAN now charge an admin fee for the port code.

Migrate = keeping your number but staying with same company, or on the same network

- this does NOT attract the same legal rights, and is at network discretion etc.

Hope that helps, well at least to clarify things, if not achieve things...

Edited by shadamehr