Video on The Wizard

Guest The B.A.

Guest The B.A.

Ay up,

Has anyone dabbled with encoding video on the Wizard yet? I converted 30 mins of vid yesterday using Windows Media Encoder set up for PDA wide-screen (seemed to match the MDA Vario screen size in pixels). It is watchable but does stutter a little, any tips on how to make it smooth viewing? I did close down all other running apps before watching it through Media Player 10. The original plays fine on my PC - wondered if it is an issue with processor speed...

Cheers,

B.A.

Guest Pondrew

Anyone else tried yet? Given the TI OMAP processor in the Wizard runs at 195mhz to the traditional Pocket PC Phones Intel at 400+mhz there may be a deterioration in performance playing video.

A thread elsewhere suggests that the SPV C550 and Imate SP5 Smartphones running at 200mhz with QVGA resolution (same as the Wizard) are also struggling to deliver smooth video playback (when vids are encoded to QVGA)...

Guest thelawman

I've been using PocketDivxEncoder (encoding QVGA fullscreen/rotated) played back in TCPMP and have suffered no stuttering at all - frankly the vid looks fantastic - and certainly much better than I was led to expect.

Guest The B.A.

Top marks to you all, just tried the aformentioned comination and it works like a dream. A little pixilated in places but I'm sure that can be sorted with a few tweaks.

Cheers chaps..

Encoder is good and WMP can do a good job, only drawback is trying to find the right compression settings.

The key 8 times out of 10 is getting the bitrate and frame rate/type right, you just have to practise on a small bit of the vid you are encoding rather than waiting an hour or so for a 2 pass encode on a full length feature film.

MS's biggest problem is that their encoding software isn't user friendly or intuitive, although I'm sticking it up for it a bit, I do use Nero's Showtime, just for it's convience and easy network streaming.

Guest MitchellO
Right! So the advice is, for the best video playback do not use the integrated Windows Media Player. No different from in the past then...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, yeah ;) :D :D

Guest The B.A.

Er Just out of interest I have a VOB file, tried to recode it using Pocket DivXencoder thingy but it does't see files of that type so i can't load it in. I know I am being a bit thick but how do i go about this?

Cheers,

B.A.

TheBA.jpg

Er Just out of interest I have a VOB file, tried to recode it using Pocket DivXencoder thingy but it does't see files of that type so i can't load it in. I know I am being a bit thick but how do i go about this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which version of PocketDivXEncoder are you using and have you tried using version 0.3.51_RC16 ?

http://divx.ppccool.com/

Guest The B.A.
Which version of PocketDivXEncoder are you using and have you tried using version 0.3.51_RC16 ?

http://divx.ppccool.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just downloaded the version you quoted but still will not open a VOB file. I'm guessing that the VOB file has to be endoded before PocketDivXEncoder will look at it. When I browse to my directory where the VOB file is stored it does not show up in the browser window, tried the pull down menu to change filetype but it only gives the one option of "Video files" so I'm guessing that VOB's aint on the list...

Hmmm, I've never had any problems coding video and audio direct from a VOB file with PocketDivxEncoder. :|

There is usually at least an MPEG2 stream and one or more AC3 audio streams contained in the VOB file. You can use VobEdit (which is free :) ) to demux the VOB and confirm what files you get.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/VobEdit.htm

[Edit] Make sure you are coding a VOB file that has been output from a DVD ripper like DVD decrypter.

• 1 month later...
Guest randomspam

I've just got myself a copy of Lathe which is from the same peeps as PocketDivxEncoder, you just choose a preset and point it to the file and it outputs a small version for you, nifty. It has presets in it for various different gadgets. it has one for a PDA video dimensions of 320x200 or a PDA QVGA at 640x400 , there's a few more but I figured one of these would be most likely. Does anyone know what the actually screen dimensions should be for best fit?

Cheers