Guest radiator

Guest radiator

Ok, so I’m in a bit of a pickle. I’ve ordered a K-Jam from

phones2u direct, but they’re saying they’ve got none in stock, and

aren’t sure when the next batch will arrive (I know Expansys are saying

25th Nov, and I’d assume that this date would apply to all UK

distributors?).

However, I think they’ve got some 9100’s in stock, so I’m

wondering whether I should go with the Qtek, or wait for the iMate.

Going on a p/review I read (where they compared the K-Jam to the 9100), I think I should wait, as it looks like the K-Jam is

the better phone (plus, I already own an SP3i, and I do like iMate’s

ROM/service/customer support etc). Also, I’m not too sure about Qtek in

general…what happens if the phone breaks (inside warranty period)

– do they have a UK repair centre? Where are the company actually

based?

Hmm, if I did buy the Qtek, could I flash it with an iMate ROM? I’m

under the impression that the latest iMate ROM removes certain things (like

Skype) and actually results in the phone running/operating faster…

Aah…what to do!?

Guest jonathanglover

I bought the QTEK 9100 last week & generally pleased & impressed. Having read at least 1 i-MATER/QTEK comparison R/V (sorry can't remember link.... will post it when I do) which saw the QTEK as a superior product with brighter display I was happy to buy it.

The warranty for the QTEK is 2 years compared to the 12 month iMATE one but nearest QTEK support is Germany. :-(

Only physical difference is the dark bezel around the QTEK display which actually looks good. The ROM did not have much extra guano supplied but it can get sluggish with sync sometimes. I'm currently investigating this & trying to get TOMTOM nav 5 to run (any help here appreciated). ...MS voice command works very well BUY THIS TODAY!....

Otherwise Wi-Fi reception is good & the GSM phone coverage in my area on 'the provider with a bright future' which was rubbish with my previous SPV-C550 is now much better.

In short after 1 week with QTEK9100 I'm pleased and think my issues would just as much be concern with I-MATE & I have no regrets getting this phone I don't really think hardware differences are substantial!!

Jonathan

8)

Ok, so I’m in a bit of a pickle. I’ve ordered a K-Jam from

phones2u direct, but they’re saying they’ve got none in stock, and

aren’t sure when the next batch will arrive (I know Expansys are saying

25th Nov, and I’d assume that this date would apply to all UK

distributors?).

However, I think they’ve got some 9100’s in stock, so I’m

wondering whether I should go with the Qtek, or wait for the iMate.

Going on a p/review I read (where they compared the K-Jam to the 9100), I think I should wait, as it looks like the K-Jam is

the better phone (plus, I already own an SP3i, and I do like iMate’s

ROM/service/customer support etc). Also, I’m not too sure about Qtek in

general…what happens if the phone breaks (inside warranty period)

– do they have a UK repair centre? Where are the company actually

based?

Hmm, if I did buy the Qtek, could I flash it with an iMate ROM? I’m

under the impression that the latest iMate ROM removes certain things (like

Skype) and actually results in the phone running/operating faster…

Aah…what to do!?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I picked up my qtek 9100 from them on sat and have been extremely impressed with it. Read the geek.com comparison and his follow ups and it seems that theres not too much in it. I was considering returning it to get a tmobile tariff instead as voda are rubbish on data. but the voice and wifi work so well that I decided to stay and take advantage of the stop the clock deal. Only issues were that skype didn't work too well and that there is a small amount of play on the left hand side of the screen that is only noticeable in one handed operation when dialing. voice command rocks.

Guest MitchellO

I personally didn't care which one I bought. I bought it on a "whichever I can get first" basis ;)

I have heard though that the Qtek ROM version has some bluetooth problems that the imate ROM doesn't. I could live with this, as it won't be long until the guys at xda-dev make a modded ROM update to use the imate ROM on the Qtek.

The 2yr warranty is a plus too.

Regarding junk in the imate ROM, it is true, but it is easy to bypass the junk. If you decide on the imate, just a quick search here will turn up how to stop the extended rom from installing the junk (I've made at least one such post). Worked perfectly for me!! No junk, and a fast device :D :D :D

Guest radiator

Well, I rang phones2u today with the intention of asking for a Qtek instead of the iMate. However, I’ve been told that they keep getting small quantities of K-Jams in stock almost every day, and hope to get all back orders completed by next Thursday.

So I think I’ll just wait…

(plus, Expansys are now stating only 4 days till they receive more stock – I’d assume that when they get them, so does everyone else (seeing as they imported n’all)).

Guest Pondrew
Regarding junk in the imate ROM, it is true, but it is easy to bypass the junk. If you decide on the imate, just a quick search here will turn up how to stop the extended rom from installing the junk (I've made at least one such post). Worked perfectly for me!! No junk, and a fast device ;) :D :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyone considering bypassing this 'junk' should read this thread here and here. Preventing the extended rom from installing also prevents the installation of the latest patches and bug fixes that weren't ready in time to be included in the main rom itself. These late additions are often essential to ensure the device performs as well as it can and often include the latest enhancements to Bluetooth, etc.

From a personal point of view I can certainly understand wanting to flash to the latest rom for your device, even if it is a different brand, but I can't understand messing with the extended rom when it could result in destablising or even killing your device.

You have been warned.

EDIT: If you needed any more proof that the extended rom isn't 'junk' click here

Guest MitchellO

I suppose by junk I really mean the Skype and AV. They have been known to cause the device to operate much slower than it is capable. Using Total Commander, you can install any of the cabs you want without installing the AV or Skype.

I use skype on my K-JAM, but its the v1.2 beta available on the Skype forum. Works quite well.

This is how my extended rom appears. The "Default_" files are the auto installing ones.

kjammoddedextrom9xx.jpg

As you can see, the AV prog and Skype aren't there. Moved them to my miniSD card.

Well, I rang phones2u today with the intention of asking for a Qtek instead of the iMate. However, I’ve been told that they keep getting small quantities of K-Jams in stock almost every day, and hope to get all back orders completed by next Thursday.

So I think I’ll just wait…

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

radiator, did they have the qtek 9100 in stock when you spoke to them on Friday? I want to place an order and it shows as in stock but want to be sure before I give details.

Being Sunday, I can't contact them at the moment.

Thanks

Guest radiator
radiator, did they have the qtek 9100 in stock when you spoke to them on Friday? I want to place an order and it shows as in stock but want to be sure before I give details.

Being Sunday, I can't contact them at the moment.

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't actually ask...sorry.

Well, I was told on the phone they have none yet I received an email a little while later saying they are indeed available but cannot be despatched until Thursday. So which is it to be? Who knows - sounds like they just want my order. Needless to say, they didn't get it!

And then there was buymobilephones.net ... Geee, they were useful !

I spoke to some girl on the sales line who said (and I kid you not) ...

"I think we have some in but I am not sure how many have been ordered so there may not be any left".

Errrrm, do they not have some system that lets them track their orders against stock? I asked and was told :

"There is no way I can tell but I can take your order and you will receive an email in due course telling you if you have had one allocated to you from our stock, or if you will have to wait".

Yeh right! If I am spending £400 I want to KNOW when I will get the goods thankyou very much!

Guess what ... they didn't get my order either!

Guest radiator

Well, I got a call at work today from phones2u saying that my K-Jam is being shipped tonight and will arrive in the morning.

woot!

It's possible that they might have them 'in stock' but they're reserved for other customers (ie, back orders).

Maybe they're getting a new batch in on thursday...

Guest chickyd

Hey,

I'm going to get in touch with buymobilephones.net or phones2u tomorrow to get myself a qtek 9100.

I just have a question for you guys about its processor..

I know that it's 200Mhz and that the imate jam's is 416Mhz.

Does this actually mean that the Imate jam is twice the speed of the k-jam?

Been looking for the answer but can't seem to see what the answer is. Is there much performance difference between the two?

...hopefully I'll not have to wait too long for my 9100 tho...

Cheers.

Guest martynstar
Hey,

I'm going to get in touch with buymobilephones.net or phones2u tomorrow to get myself a qtek 9100.

I just have a question for you guys about its processor..

I know that it's 200Mhz and that the imate jam's is 416Mhz.

Does this actually mean that the Imate jam is twice the speed of the k-jam?

Been looking for the answer but can't seem to see what the answer is. Is there much performance difference between the two?

...hopefully I'll not have to wait too long for my 9100 tho...

Cheers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read the review on geek.com, i will take that his qtek was a pre-production model, and the main differences i could see where that the imate had an alloy casing and the keypad was brighter, not that im particularly going to use all the little extra characters that were shown up, i would prefer an alloy casing, can anyone with the qtek 9110 tell us if the keyboard is bright enough and the case is alloy??

The speed was shown between the two, and it was 200 mhz to 195mhz, is this just a matter of statistical rounding up? i believe it would be!

I like my SPV500 case as it feels cold when you first pick it up, weird huh, but it reminds me that it some metalic beast, a real gadget not some plasticy flim flam machine!!

;)

Guest radiator

I think s/he (sorry, don't know your gender) was refering to the Jam and the K-Jam...

Now, I don't know the specifics, but yes, the Jam is a faster device. Not twice as fast though (seeing as both phones use different types of CPU). It's kinda like comparing a x86 CPU and a PowerPC CPU - both completely different architecture where Mhz don't give an accurate speed comparison.

Edited by radiator

Guest martynstar
The case won't be different, just the branding (and colour) of the device.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks i think i, gonna go with Imate Kjam, after searching through many shops etc I found this to be the cheaper mobile on the tariff i wanted. although it is on Vodafone not a network im a huge fan of, always seemed more business orientated rather than customer friendly.

Shouldnt be any problems with the support tho, imate have the club to register with and provide up to date rom patches something i found hard to find for qtek 9110! My SPVc500 has served me well, did have 3 different phones tho, and most say orange were bloody slow at getting the updates out, i told them i had left because they werent offering this phone!

Waiting my PAC before ordering the new beastie!!!

Guest chickyd

Cheers for that reply - I'm a bloke by the way!

With phones2udirect can i port my number? Phoned them today - still none in stock - and they said there's a form where you can punch it in but I've been through it to the point it asks for credit card details and there's nothing about PAC.

Just don't wanna pay for the thing and then find I'm on a whole new contract.

Anyone picked up one from phones2udirect recently?

Guest radiator

Well, mine arrived today (woot!) - arrived at work at around 10:00 this morning (which meant I didn't get much work done!).

As for phones2u, I'm pretty damn certain there's a field you can enter your PAC code into...think it may be after the c/c bit.

Guest martynstar
I ported from phones4u last week fine from orange to voda. Voda contacted me today and told me they'd thrown in 6 months half price. Nice

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ordered mine from phones2udirect and that was at 12pm, finally got my PAC after ringing orange again!

They have put it in the post!!

Might not be here tom, as they can guarantee it, fingers crossed but should be here monday!! Wooo Hooo!!!

Guest martynstar
ordered mine from phones2udirect and that was at 12pm, finally got my PAC after ringing orange again!

They have put it in the post!!

Might not be here tom, as they can guarantee it, fingers crossed but should be here monday!! Wooo Hooo!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Came first thing this morning! before 9am!

Now thats what i call service!!!

Guest GEORGEPAPAS

MY SUJESTION IS TO TAKE THE I-MATE K-JAM COZ I ALREADY BOUGHT IT AND I AM IMPRESSED OF WHAT IT CAN DO THAT MOBILE ALSO I AM IMPRESSED OF THE INTERNET SPEED.ALSO I-MATE IS HAVING THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND TRHE FASTER SERVICE ENTER AND AS I KNOW THE HAVE SERVICE CENTER ANY ANY COUNTRY ARE SELLING I-MATE

Guest MitchellO

I called imate service a few days ago, and they sucked. They told me to ask a friend if they thought the slider on my device was a bit loose. And they barely spoke english. o2 support was heaps better.