MoDaCo FairDeal is here!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

I am proud to announce the 'soft launch' of MoDaCo FairDeal! ;)

What is MoDaCo FairDeal, and why the 'soft launch'?

Put simply, MoDaCo FairDeal is our new software store... but it's not just your average website-gets-affiliate-deal-with-big-player-to-make-money software store. MoDaCo FairDeal was created to change the balance of power in the current mobile device software sales market.

How so?

Currently, as many of you will know, there are a couple of big players in this space. It's fair to say that they take a fair chunk of what developers earn, don't really have an easy way of listening to and acting on what the consumers say, and act generally in their best interest.

We figured it was time to change all that.

And so, MoDaCo FairDeal was born. MoDaCo FairDeal is different. To start with, an industry leading 80% of sales revenues are paid to the developer. IMHO that's a fantastic achievement in itself. But that's not all... MoDaCo FairDeal has a fantastic team at our partners MobiHand (who have created the store for us), and a dedicated forum area on MoDaCo - we want to hear what you have to say about the store (good and bad), so we can really offer you - the consumer - what you want. That's not to say you post customer service queries in a forum and await an answer, of course these are still handled directly, in this case by MobiHand.

So why the soft launch?

Today the site is live, and you can actually buy stuff! Woohoo! BUT... before launching the site in a 'big way', I'd like to get the feedback from our most important people, the developers and yourselves, about what you think of FairDeal, what you would change, and in addition I want to get as many developers on board for our launch as possible.

Great, so how do I get to the site?

It's easy, just point your browser at http://FairDeal.MoDaCo.com or click 'Software' on MoDaCo's top bar. Simple as that.

Anything else you want to tell me / I should know about FairDeal?

Sure, how about a quick run down of what we've done and what we're doing?

- OTA downloads to your device by pointing it at http://FairDeal.MoDaCo.com

- PayPal payments under development

- Unsurpassed list of devices handled on the site (under development), together with frequent updates (no more waiting 6 months for your device to appear!)

- 10% discount for MoDaCo Plus members

- And a whole lot more that seems to have fallen out of my head in the excitement!

And finally...

I really want MoDaCo FairDeal to be a success... and I'm hoping the developer community and the consumer community will help me achieve my goal.

For the record, my motives for FairDeal are NOT financial... I feel (as a developer myself) that it's time to shake up the software store market, and MobiHand (as developers too!) agree with me, so here we are.

Let's go! :D Remember, use the dedicated forum (here) for your feedback, and if you should wish to buy an application that's NOT on FairDeal yet... let the developer know what they're missing out on!

The new MoDaCo software store - delivering a FairDeal to developers.

P

Guest emyllis

Excellent idea Paul - I wish you well with this and when I next buy some software you can be rest assured I'll be looking at this site first. A top notch addition to the smartphone world.

This is an excellent development! ;) The approach to paying developers well is an amazing idea & I hope will have a dramatic effect on both the success of the modaco software store, and the smartphone developers we all know & love! :D Once paypal access is up & running I fully intend to use my 10% plus discount to the max. :twisted:

Good work Paul & everybody involved!

Guest namiran

just a thought for the developers...

when browsing through sofware, why not display if it is fully supported in WM5 as in will it start and display on the whole 320*240 screen and so on?

And also why when browsing through a category such as Games-->Action... why not show the most popular action games in a list to the right?

And lastly, when browsing through a category it would be nice to see a picture of the name like now, but also a printscreen of the for example game in action?

Just a few ideas, otherwise, great work and idea =)

Guest Jamma14

This is great work Paul, developers will now get a fair deal! This might get me (and encourage a few others) to finish the project I was working on. Once again, good work, cheers. :D

Only issues (not really issues just ideas ;) ):

Symbian Software :shock:  :shock:

Dollars??? :shock: :shock:

O and the "Forum Rules - Please read before posting!" in the global navigation on the site isn't fitting as well with the new software and hardware links. And er..what happened to the arcade??

Jamma

Edited by Jamma14

Guest chucky.egg

This is a great addition to Modaco, and to the community

The one thing that keeps me coming back to Handango is the range of products, so I hope that in time this can be matched by FairDeal

I'll certainly be looking in regularly (I'm always looking for new apps and games) and will try to hold off buying until it's available on FairDeal.

Great work Paul and MobiHand.

Congratulations!

This can only benefit the mobile community.

I also think that this move by MoDaCo and MobiHand will encourage more development in the mobile market, helping to push the technology futher. There are many tallented developers out there that deserve the rewards that the FairDeal system will provide.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this new opportunity.

Keep up the great work.

Guest Disco Stu
I'll certainly be looking in regularly (I'm always looking for new apps and games) and will try to hold off buying until it's available on FairDeal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good point.

To avoid drift back to the established players, a 'coming soon' list might be helpful.

We'll moan about shifting release dates but it doesn't half generate a lot of interest in new products ;)

Oh, and a bump for the QVGA-compatible issue too - I always check that with new software. It is not enough to just say that it will work..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.