Vario - got a manual or use it one-handed?

Guest DancingMatt

Guest DancingMatt

Afternoon all

OK, I am going to leave Orange :D for a T-Mobile MDA Vario ;) (or SDA II) - does anyone know where I can download a manual for either of these? And if anyone happens to spot a store in central London where I could actually get my hands on either or both of them to try out, Please tell me... they're hard to find...

The Vario is looking like a really good deal, but it's so much bigger than I've ever carried before, plus I was put off the Magician/Compact/M500 because I couldn't use it one handed. So I want to try out this Windows Mobile 5 which apparantly addresses that...

If you have any personal experiences of either, or can give me a link to a manual, or know where I can test one, please shout! I lost my old E200 so need to get a new phone sharpish!

Ta

DM

Guest steve_smith
The Vario is looking like a really good deal, but it's so much bigger than I've ever carried before, plus I was put off the Magician/Compact/M500 because I couldn't use it one handed. So I want to try out this Windows Mobile 5 which apparantly addresses that...

Well I have done the same as you are intending and left Orange (C500 owner) and gone to T-Mobile on web'n'walk with the Vario.

So far, I've not had any real problems adjusting from using the Smartphone over to using the Pocket PC phone (although I am familiar with the OS, since I also have a Dell Axim). Can't comment on carrying it yet, because I haven't left the house with it :roll: However, it feels comfortable enough held up to your ear (something that was worrying me, and put me off buying the HTC Universal). It comes with a carry case in the box, fitted with a belt clip.

The keyboard on the Vario makes typing much simpler than before. You're never going to get 50 words a minute or anything out of it, but it feels quicker than T9 or using the onscreen keyboard normally found on Pocket PC devices. The keyboard combined with Pocket Word, Excel will make producing rough notes and stuff on the train or in meetings a lot easier than before 8)

One handed mode seems to work fairly well, but some areas of the OS seem to overlook the fact that apps need to be designed with it in mind... One example is the Pocket Outlook client. I use Exchange Server Activesync, and found using one handed mode (without touching the screen) that I could run through and review/delete emails. However, the function to move a message out of your inbox and in to another mail folder (sorting my Inbox/Sent Items out is another thing I do on the train) can't be done using the softkeys because it requires tapping the "OK" button at the top of the screen. If Microsoft had given me the device to test, I would have reported that as a bug! Unless I'm doing something wrong...

I found another couple of similar issues with one handed mode. Can't remember what they were now, but you can get so far in to performing a function only to find the last step requires tapping something.

Perhaps future updates to WM5 will fix these sorts of glitches.

On the whole though, it seems a nice solid device which will no doubt replace my phone and PDA (and mean I only need to carry one device).

Hope this helps a bit, if you have any questions, let me know.

Steve.

Guest Phil Lee
One handed mode seems to work fairly well, but some areas of the OS seem to overlook the fact that apps need to be designed with it in mind... One example is the Pocket Outlook client.  I use Exchange Server Activesync, and found using one handed mode (without touching the screen) that I could run through and review/delete emails.  However, the function to move a message out of your inbox and in to another mail folder (sorting my Inbox/Sent Items out is another thing I do on the train) can't be done using the softkeys because it requires tapping the "OK" button at the top of the screen.  If Microsoft had given me the device to test, I would have reported that as a bug!  Unless I'm doing something wrong...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If that's a pain for you, try reassigning one of the buttons to be the OK/Close button. You can do this by gong to Start > Settings > Buttons then selecting the button you want to change the function of. I've changed the function of the comm manager to Rotate Screen and after reading this post, changed the IE/T-Zones button to OK/Close.

Guest DancingMatt

Hey guys, thanks for your replies.

One handed mode seems to work fairly well, but some areas of the OS seem to overlook the fact that apps need to be designed with it in mind... One example is the Pocket Outlook client.

I found another couple of similar issues with one handed mode.  Can't remember what they were now, but you can get so far in to performing a function only to find the last step requires tapping something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One thing that totally put me off the Magician/M500 was trying and failing to use some functions one handed. It's important to me to get a device I can use without the stylus. I don't expect to get along without it for absolutely everything, and yes it brings apps (and games!) that smartphones don't have, but I certainly want to use the main functions as easily as the SPV smartphones I've had previously.

On the Magician/M500 it seemed impossible to do something as simple as enter a really basic appointment using the Phone Pad option. You couldn't just hop down the fields to quickly enter the appointment, start date and time, and a reminder. I couldn't get to the start time field without tapping it, and couldn't just hop over fields I didn't want to set. I had to go down, choose an option and click on it, go to another field I'm not interested in and set that, etc etc.

So Steve :arrow: I'd really like to know how easily and quickly can you set an appointment one handed, no stylus or keyboard? Could you please try and let me know? Nothing more complex than one line about the appointment, start date and time, a location and choose a specific reminder length. If you can do that I'm pretty much sold... although I still want to actually test it for size...

Would really appreciate hearing your experiences and exactly how you do it Steve,

Thanks

DM

Guest Phil Lee
So Steve  :arrow:  I'd really like to know how easily and quickly can you set an appointment one handed, no stylus or keyboard? Could you please try and let me know? Nothing more complex than one line about the appointment, start date and time, a location and choose a specific reminder length. If you can do that I'm pretty much sold... although I still want to actually test it for size...

Would really appreciate hearing your experiences and exactly how you do it Steve,

Thanks

DM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I posted this in another thread but thought it was best posted here:

I've just tried it on my Vario and it is just about possible to enter an appointment into the calendar one handed. From the Today screen, click on the left soft button to open the calendar. Click on the right soft button and select New Appointment. On the subject heading, click the centre button for some default titles or leave blank for no subject. Click on the start date to open a month view and use the joypad to select the day of the appointment. Set the time by clicking in the time field and scrolling down ta list of times on the hour and half hour. Repeat this for the end time. Use similar actions for the remaining items. Once this is done you have to press the OK button at the top right of the screen. This requires a press on the screen. If you don't want to do this you can assign one of the hardware buttons to the OK/Close action. I've used the IE/T-zones button for this on my Vario.

Obviously it is easier to enter an appointment using the stylus and/or keyboard but it is possible to do without them.

Edited by Phil Lee

For me the most WM5 stable and most WM5 integrated app to enable one handed operation is SPB Pocket Plus. At least for quick and easy device navigation and program management. It may not help with making that appointment one handed though.

Here's how I set up my buttons:

Front top left button - set to start menu (double click also quickly gets to the today screen)

Front top right - set to OK/Close

Side top right - set to SPB Pocket Plus task switcher (like alt-tab)

Side top right (hold) - set to SPBPP task manager (ie the SPBPP Close Button util with close all etc)

The SPBPP home sceen also enables very quick app navigation.

Cheers

Matx

Guest DancingMatt
They include PDFs of the Vario manual and quick start guide in the box.  Links are hard to see, aren't they?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely fantastic - thanks very very much Deebster! :exclaim: Been looking for them everywhere! =D> =D> =D> =D>

I did manage to find a K-Jam manual somewhere online, looks very similar. Although doesn't mention the email wizard. Thought the Vario was meant to come with Opera though?

Anyway, brilliant - thanks again Deebster! ;)

DM

Guest Deebster
Thought the Vario was meant to come with Opera though?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, so did I. No sign of it though.

I'm not sure which version of Opera they were talking about, Opera for Mobile, or Opera Mini. Going to mini.opera.com from my Vario, the page tells me

Your phone model was detected as Nokia - 6638, and supports Java.  If this is correct, please select the link below to download Opera Mini.

If this is not correct, please continue to the alternate download page.

The alternate download page links to high and low memory versions. I'll have a go with one tomorrow.

Yeah, so did I.  No sign of it though.

I'm not sure which version of Opera they were talking about, Opera for Mobile, or Opera Mini.  Going to mini.opera.com from my Vario, the page tells me

The alternate download page links to high and low memory versions.  I'll have a go with one tomorrow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found Opera on the accompanying "MDA Vario Applications" disk from T-Mobile, along with "GPRS Monitor Tools" (from Spb) within "appsuite mdavario uk1.0.0.1.exe"

Guest Phil Lee
I found Opera on the accompanying "MDA Vario Applications" disk from T-Mobile, along with "GPRS Monitor Tools" (from Spb) within "appsuite mdavario uk1.0.0.1.exe"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How did you get Opera to install? When I run appsuite mdavario uk1.0.0.1.exe, ActiveSync installs GPRS Monitor Tools but not Opera.

How did you get Opera to install? When I run appsuite mdavario uk1.0.0.1.exe, ActiveSync installs GPRS Monitor Tools but not Opera.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Upon running appsuite mdavario uk1.0.0.1.exe, I get an install screen where I can choose between "Modify" "Repair" or "Remove", choosing "Modify" brings up a selection screen where I can add or remove programs, depending on what i select in a list. Opera is there as Opera Software Opera.

Buuuut. I've just realised it picks up available PPC or Smartrphone s/w on my PC. I must have installed Opera, at some point, on my C500 and the Installer is still finding it, and giving it me as an option to install...

:oops:

Sorry.